Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Amsoil severe gear

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 03:24 PM
GARY DYER
Elite HDF Member

Received 689 Likes on 412 Posts

Another question is why come out with a new oil for an obsolete product that you already have an oil for?

Old 08-30-2010, 03:34 PM
bluesmanjesse
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would like to know why the 60wt isn't recommended as well?

Old 08-30-2010, 03:44 PM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by GARY DYER
Another question is why come out with a new oil for an obsolete product that you already have an oil for?
Harleys are the least obsolete bike you can have. Even old hog parts aren't considered junk until they're beat to death or rusted through.
And a simple dribble of common sense would tell you that anything can be improved, especially the life blood of vehicles. R&D exists for a reason.
I don't know why I even bothered to answer this, but there it is.

The following users liked this post:
boston jim (03-08-2017)
Old 08-30-2010, 03:44 PM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member

double post - delete

Last edited by Quadancer; 08-30-2010 at 10:38 PM.
Old 08-30-2010, 04:13 PM
dhubley
Cruiser

I have been running Amsoil Severe Gear in the tranny and Amsoil 20W50 in the engine and primary since the 1000 mile mark. I have always been pleased with Amsoil (in all my toys).

The oil has always "looked" fine when drained with virtually no metal fragments on the drain plugs (engine, tranny and primary). I have never bothered having any of the oil tested.

After reading some of the positive threads on the Mobil 1 Vtwin and Redline Vtwin Transmission oil with Shockproof I decided to give them a try when I changed my fluids this weekend. After ~300 miles here is what I have noticed.

1) I have noticed no difference in engine noise with the Mobil Vtwin 20W50 versus the Amsoil 20W50. To be fair, I never experienced the noise that some have complained about when using synthetic oil. The cost to me of the two is about the same and I will see what the Mobil Vtwin looks like at 5000 miles before deciding what will go in next. To be honest, it is easier for me to get the Amsoil (at my door in 2 days) then to drive around to find 4 quarts of the Mobil Vtwin. It took me three stops to find a place that had 4 quarts in stock.

2) The Redline Vtwin tranny oil seems to have reduced the clunk of going into first gear a bit. Shifting across the gear range may also be a bit quieter. The biggest difference is that neutral is much easier to hit. I also like that the Redline is a different color so I will know what is leaking if my RKC starts marking its territory.

Speaking of marking its territory, I also went with B&M Trickshift Original in the primary based on the positive feedback in various forums. It is less expensive than the Amsoil and Mobil 1. Its blue color will help me diagnose any future leaks. The clutch feels smooth with no noticeable difference to the Amsoil 20W50 I replaced.

Old 08-30-2010, 04:46 PM
bluesmanjesse
Road Captain

I also recently switched fluids, I put Spectro HD V-twin oil in the engine(love it),Amsoil Severe Gear 75-90 in Tranny and initially I put Spectro Transmission and Primary oil in the Primary but noticed my clutch slipping under hard acceleration,especially in 6th gear(green 6th gear light would go out when clutch started slipping)

I ended up switching to B&M Original Trick Shift in the primary and after about 50-60 miles of riding the Trick Shift seems to have gotten rid of the slip; the first 20-30 miles the clutch still slipped with the B&M Trick shift but as I continued to ride it steadily improved and now it feels really good and doesn't slip anymore.

Old 08-30-2010, 05:12 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,229 Likes on 2,470 Posts

Originally Posted by SIU 96
Just put the 6 speed Spectro in. Got about 100 miles on it. Not impressed. Tranny is louder the shifting may be a tiny bit smoother. Still cant rush several down shifts.

if you've only got 100 miles on it, you haven't given it a fair chance. see how you feel after 500 miles.

Old 08-30-2010, 05:20 PM
Little Mike
Road Master
Received 95 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by bikes
What's really strange, is using the same identical Amsoil gear lube in the same brand Harley engine by several different rider/owners and getting different results. You would think everyone would be getting the same results.
They would, if everyone rode the same way, in the same climate, and on the same roads. There are way too many variables to make apple to apple comparisons. One oil or tranny lube work better for a guy is a dry climate like Az. than it does for a guy in a humid location like Fla. Some guys take off from stop lights like an NHRA hole shot and others baby their rides so much they are bogging the damn thing down.
I have tried Amsoil, Redline, Lucas, and Mobil1, and for me, I get the best results and performance from Royal Purple.

Old 08-31-2010, 07:53 AM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by dhubley
2) The Redline Vtwin tranny oil seems to have reduced the clunk of going into first gear a bit. Shifting across the gear range may also be a bit quieter. The biggest difference is that neutral is much easier to hit. I also like that the Redline is a different color so I will know what is leaking if my RKC starts marking its territory.
That's what I suspected would be the case from a lot of reading, so I'm going there; neutral finds are a good indicator and I was a bit surprised that my Amsoil leaves me frustrated on this.

Speaking of marking its territory, I also went with B&M Trickshift Original in the primary based on the positive feedback in various forums. It is less expensive than the Amsoil and Mobil 1. Its blue color will help me diagnose any future leaks. The clutch feels smooth with no noticeable difference to the Amsoil 20W50 I replaced.
I'm tempted to believe that regular dino 40wt oil is actually perfect for the primaries. Clutchpacks love it and there is no real wear factor in there to consider that you'd need a better oil for. So regular changes with dino would keep things clean and tight.
Your Harley shouldn't leak. Leak detection is WASHING the thing and inspecting after a few miles, oldschool.

Old 08-31-2010, 09:18 AM
GARY DYER
Elite HDF Member

Received 689 Likes on 412 Posts

I'll say it again for the slow learners.
Why would you spend money developing a product for something that is diminishing more and more as the years go by? Your investment is slowly fading away.
I agree about trying to improve a product, but for something that will benifit the present and future.
Would you spend YOUR money developing a better front fender for a 1955 Desoto? I doubt it very much. Or a better stop light lens cover for a 1985 Dodge Diplomat....NOT.
I didn't say Harleys or their parts were junk, that's your words, I'm talking about something that's really not needed. Companies tend to spend money on things that will make them money, not something that will loose money because of decreasing need.

Quick Reply: Amsoil severe gear