Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Street Bob vs. SG or RK / Around Town but Also Long Distance

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 07:52 AM
BigNick
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Street Bob vs. SG or RK / Around Town but Also Long Distance

I owned a '95 Road King before my current '06 Street Bob. Loved the ride of my RK, but around town, the weight was noticeable. Street Bob is probably the best handling bike I've ever owned (other than the breaks are terrible). I find that I have been riding much longer distances this past year than I ever have before. Now I am planning a cross-country trip for next summer and am thinking abut replacing the SB with an SG or RK. I like the storage and storage options available for the SG and RK, but am worried about the around town capabilities and the weight issue again once I'm done with my long trip as it'll be an around-town bike or 150-250 mile weekend rides bike. So I don't know if I should just stick it out with the SB, or trade for an SG or RK. I will never do 2-up riding, always solo. 5'11, 215 lbs. I'm sure that the new touring bikes ride better than my '95 RK did, but I'm VERY comfortable on the SB, so I'm torn. Anyone go from a SB to and SG or RK that can comment about their experience?

Old 09-18-2010, 08:15 AM
Toypuller
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,882 Likes on 1,493 Posts

I had an 07 Superglide Custom, so close to the Street Bob.

I traded it in on a 2010 RK.

I changed up the Road King with 16" apes, Progressive 940s, a solo Corbin seat.

The Road King is my daily ride, both around town and for distance. I am comfortable either way, the weight of the bike has never been an issue.

I did long tours on my Superglide without too much discomfort. The Road King is more capable for those rides. I did a 33 day, 9000 mile ride ending a month ago. Slapped a sissy bar, luggage rack and passenger pillion on and the RK was tour ready.

I'm not a real believer in "around town" and "long ride" bikes. It is no harder to ride an Ultra to the store than any other bike. While it may be more comfortable to ride a loaded tour bike long distances, people have ridden every make and model there is for long rides.

Old 09-18-2010, 08:26 AM
kjkustoms
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I traded in my 07 Street Bob on a 09 Street Glide, I can tell you this is the best upgrade I ever made! It is a totally different level of comfort. After getting used to the seating position and handling, the bike is just as nimble if not better than the SB. On the highway, its a totally different world! The wife also loves it, 10 to 12 hours on the road, no complaints. IMO, I would suggest this upgrade to anyone. Just my 2 cents.

Old 09-18-2010, 08:49 AM
knife_edge
Tourer
Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts

I think, once I got used to riding my Road Glide, I felt so accustomed to handling my bike that it was just as fun as my old 07 Night Rod Special being short or long distance rides with more toys and whistles.

Old 09-18-2010, 08:53 AM
ErikElvis
Cruiser
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

messin around with the bikes at the dealership the street glide felt well balanced to me. The ultra limited i messed with did feel quite a bit top heavy even though theres really not much diff in weight. I think the SG is a good all around bike but that extra pack on the back is for me.

Old 09-18-2010, 09:02 AM
rochkes
Elite HDF Member
Received 460 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by Toypuller
I'm not a real believer in "around town" and "long ride" bikes. It is no harder to ride an Ultra to the store than any other bike. While it may be more comfortable to ride a loaded tour bike long distances, people have ridden every make and model there is for long rides.

I agree. As long as it isn't off road riding, I only care to have one bike. What works for me around town works on the open road as well.

I have alot of friends who tell me they would buy a touring bike if they did more than just short hops. I tell them I like to be comfortable on the short hops as well as the long hauls.

I also have friends who have touring bikes and have never ridden more than 200 miles in one day.

It just doesn't matter to me. Get the bike you like and ride it as much as you can.

Dennis

Old 09-18-2010, 01:29 PM
10 RED RK
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Traded a 09 VRod for a 10 RK the V was about 650# or so the RK about 750

As far as in town handling the 10 RK feels better balanced to me. Althoughthe
Vrod was a good ride - I think it was similar to a Dyna or Softail. There is nothing like the FLH series as far as comfort and long or short distance riding.

No prob's at all with the RK in town, getting it up off the stand or anything else for that matter..Great bikes - all of 'em

Old 09-18-2010, 02:46 PM
tincup64
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

road king is a great bar hopper or long distance bike. if you are that in love with your current ride, why not consider renting the touring bike for the long haul. it doesnt sound like you do them that often. either that or get some luggage for the street bob and see how she does. plenty of people in that forum have some positive long trip experiences.

good luck with whatever you choose.

tin

Old 09-18-2010, 03:11 PM
SC07WG
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Road glide.... comfort for short trips to the store or to the mountains for the weekend. Choose what's comfortable for you

Old 09-19-2010, 08:13 PM
badasstruck
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

SG!! You'll love it!

Quick Reply: Street Bob vs. SG or RK / Around Town but Also Long Distance