Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

iPod in TourPak with iPod Interface 76476-10

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2010, 07:52 PM
davessworks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default iPod in TourPak with iPod Interface 76476-10

So - I doubt I'm the only one that's a little hesitant to drill a hole into my right side bag. Apart from the obvious "hole drilling" it makes taking the bag on and off a bit more work. I started to look into the possibility of running the iPod into the TourPak. Here's what I have found.

There are 2 3/4 inch holes in the Ultra TourPak. One on the left side for electrical and CB antenna, the other for the AM/FM antenna.

Each of these holes use a split grommet. On the left side the part number is 11507. This has a larger bore. The right side part number is 11486.

I don't know what impact running the iPod cable adjacent to an antenna cable would be so that's a concern however if it's not a problem it seems that the iPod cable could be installed through one of these holes thereby avoiding any drilling. Either widening the bore of the right hand grommet or using a left hand grommet in the right hole seems like a reasonable approach.

The only remaining concern is something the Parts Manager for one of our local dealers suggested and that was that the vibration of our bikes tends to damage iPods, even the solid state iTouch and Nano. I don't know whether there's any truth to this but he claimed this is why Harley came up with the suspended pouch (P/N 90200002).

Thoughts?

Old 09-26-2010, 07:57 PM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 701 Likes on 349 Posts

My solid state GPS has been mounted on the bars for 3 years now and it's just fine, I call BS. As far as running the cable next to the antenna, I doubt it would cause any problems at all.

Old 09-26-2010, 07:59 PM
davessworks
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by stro1965
My solid state GPS has been mounted on the bars for 3 years now and it's just fine, I call BS. As far as running the cable next to the antenna, I doubt it would cause any problems at all.
Yup - well my original training is EE and I tend to agree on both counts.

Old 09-26-2010, 08:01 PM
vickers1
Road Warrior
Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by stro1965
I call BS too! I have attached so many electronics to my bikes over the years, from XM to GPS and always my iPod. Never any problems.

Old 09-26-2010, 08:07 PM
davessworks
Outstanding HDF Member

well it sounds pretty promising eh? It should be possible to run the iPod cable straight into the TourPak through the cut out in the liner that's already there for the 12v outlet (if so equipped)

Old 09-26-2010, 08:15 PM
Capt. Obvious
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by davessworks
The only remaining concern is something the Parts Manager for one of our local dealers suggested and that was that the vibration of our bikes tends to damage iPods, even the solid state iTouch and Nano. I don't know whether there's any truth to this but he claimed this is why Harley came up with the suspended pouch (P/N 90200002).

Thoughts?
Then why does the 2011 SE Street Glide come with one? because there's no problem

Old 09-26-2010, 08:21 PM
davidw221
Supporter
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I run a Sony radio with bluetooth, I pod plug and a usb port for a thumb drive, the radio cost $140. I just plug in my thumb drives for many thousands of songs and audio books, don't have to have a ipod holder, easy and cheap, many guys say hey that's the greatest setup yet, oh by the way, I can answer my phone with my radio too! but choose not to, because riding is strictly pleasure not BIDNESS!

Old 09-26-2010, 08:35 PM
davessworks
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by davidw221
I run a Sony radio with bluetooth, I pod plug and a usb port for a thumb drive, the radio cost $140. I just plug in my thumb drives for many thousands of songs and audio books, don't have to have a ipod holder, easy and cheap, many guys say hey that's the greatest setup yet, oh by the way, I can answer my phone with my radio too! but choose not to, because riding is strictly pleasure not BIDNESS!
Thanks - this thread really is about running an iPod in a TourPak using the iPod adaptor but what ever works for you.

Old 09-26-2010, 08:38 PM
bubbabear
Road Master
Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

I put a cigarette lighter plug in my tour pack and use a Belkin tuner, it works great.

Old 09-26-2010, 08:56 PM
vickers1
Road Warrior
Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

You could plug it up, turn it on, crank the engine, and rub the cable all around the antenna listening for interference before you go to all the trouble of running it permanently and tying the wire off.

Quick Reply: iPod in TourPak with iPod Interface 76476-10