Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Decel popping after dyno tune

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2010, 10:36 AM
pnwlimited
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by davessworks
Thanks DKM - my guess is it's too lean. We'll see. Looking forward to hearing from you.

Dave
your right Dave, its too lean, I had the same issue after the stage one was done, took it back and they fattened it up in a couple of cells at low RPM and it quit...I would talk to them about it.

Old 10-03-2010, 10:42 AM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by strokerjlk
it's a little diff then just adding fuel at 0% throttle (on this bike)
while that would work on a earlier model bike. OP'er has 2010,or I assume it is because he stated "limited" so there is no 0% throttle position in the ve table. other ways to get it though. just have to work at it a little.
No zero throt position? Oh my. Technology is getting ahead of me. He he!

So adding fuel in any running range will hurt mileage, while removing fuel might hurt performance. Sounds like a head scratcher to me.

I have no doubt that the good tuners have it figured out by now.

Old 10-03-2010, 01:30 PM
davessworks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by strokerjlk
pretty easy fix if the tuner knows his way around the SEST
Deceleration Enleanment,VE,AND AFR tables. might come out with just a little decel adj. or it could take a combination of two or all three tables.
Thanks - I'm going to hook up now and check Decl Enleanment. Kinda pisses me off that they never even tried to tune it out and simply stated it was normal.

Old 10-03-2010, 01:38 PM
rvguy
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i just had dyno and now have lots of back press when decel but also feels like back press while acell what the heck dealer says all is with in spec nothin they can do ???

Old 10-03-2010, 02:13 PM
ZZZCICI
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks - I'm going to hook up now and check Decl Enleanment. Kinda pisses me off that they never even tried to tune it out and simply stated it was normal.
I have to agree with you there!
I am on the fence as what performance mods I want to go with and 'where' I would be taking it when and if it becomes necessary.

I don't condone dealer bashing, but for the prices charged I have no tolerence for complacency and incompetent workmanship.
I probably bought my 10' limited at the same store as you.
Without naming "them" outright do you mind reaveling the city?

Old 10-03-2010, 02:51 PM
HOGNOT
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

After having 107" pistons and compression releases installed the same shop did 3 dyno runs at $100 a pop using my SERT. I complained about loud decel popping between 1st and 2nd and 2nd and 3rd. Of course they said not to worry about it, that it was normal for a 107".

I tend to put the spurs to my bike in the lower gears to get up to cruising speed quickly. After several rides I noticed that I had little to no decel pop when I concentrated on being sure the throttle was closed all the way shut between shifts. I've also noticed if I ride more sedately with slower acceleration I don't get the decel popping and I don't need to be so attentive about closing the throttle all the way when shifting.

I don't know the dynamics involved here like some of you will but now that I've discovered these things I can easily reduce or eliminate the popping. On the other hand it's nice to be able to scare children, pets and the women folk by ripping off some impressive backfires when needed....just hope the law isn't around when I lose my civility.

VR

Last edited by HOGNOT; 10-03-2010 at 02:53 PM.
Old 10-03-2010, 05:27 PM
davessworks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Update - popping occurs below 2000 rpm as decelerating. If I start to decelerate at 3,000 no popping until engine gets to below 2000 (probably around 1,800). I modded the DE table with little/no effect.

Old 10-03-2010, 05:46 PM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Update - popping occurs below 2000 rpm as decelerating. If I start to decelerate at 3,000 no popping until engine gets to below 2000 (probably around 1,800). I modded the DE table with little/no effect.
Try going the other direction with your mods. If that don't work, put it back like it was and play with your VE tables below 2250 rpm (both cylinders, lowest throttle position). Go in baby steps lower, and if that don't work try higher.

It's unburnt fuel that's firing in your pipes. Either take away fuel, or drown out the fuel. Obviously it's better if it works going leaner (mileage), but it doesn't always work. Plan B almost always worked, when I was playing around with it.

Remember, small steps and save each map with a different name so's you can go back to it.

Old 10-03-2010, 06:23 PM
FLoTR
Road Master

Originally Posted by pnwlimited
your right Dave, its too lean, I had the same issue after the stage one was done, took it back and they fattened it up in a couple of cells at low RPM and it quit...I would talk to them about it.
with that Stage 1 u got, was that with a tuner or the factory ecm with a Stage 1 flash?

Old 10-03-2010, 06:24 PM
strokerjlk
Cruiser

decel numbers go down to add fuel .not up as one would think.
I wouldn't just go messing with your ve's.
if you got a copy of your map pm me and I will send you my e-mail and take a look at it.
it's a little tougher to get in the ve's and rich en it up .without looking at exactly where the pop is in relation to the kpa.
the decel table can get you there. one thing that happens when you start getting into adding a lot of fuel in decel is the bike begins to feel like a on/off switch when you let off of it. that's why it is necessary to find the kpa /rpm area that it is happening at also, if it cant be solved with decel.
you can also rich en up the afr/Lambda table a little, when you determine the exact rpm/kpa area it is in. and you can also rich en up the ve's in the same manner when you determine the correct kpa/rpm area
hope this helped.

Last edited by strokerjlk; 10-03-2010 at 06:27 PM.

Quick Reply: Decel popping after dyno tune