Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road Glide windshield gasket

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 01:02 PM
Brettcr
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RangeRat
I don't know what their problem is. I've got a 2010 and the goop MoCo is using now is like sticky snot - not hardened. I'll admit that it's a pain to get the gasket to stay all the way up onto the shield though. It tries to walk it's own way back off while you're tightening the windshield screws.

However, if you work you way from the center screw outward toward the two ends, tightening each screw just a little bit more each time, and just keep pressing the gasket fully up into place as you go, then it seems to work okay.

Did for me anyway and twice too. Went from stock to KW 16" and now onto WV 14" (it's the keeper too).

Edit to add - BTW, do you know how to keep the well-nuts from falling off inside the fairing? ...or the easiest way to retreive one if it does? Shout out if you don't yet.
I put the nuts on the shield then push it in and tighten them up. I keep a set of well-nuts in the tollbox in case i have any issues with the ones coming out looking like a crap sack. I change between the 8 and 12" KW a good bit.

Old 10-04-2010, 04:10 PM
RangeRat
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Brettcr
I put the nuts on the shield then push it in and tighten them up. I keep a set of well-nuts in the tollbox in case i have any issues with the ones coming out looking like a crap sack. I change between the 8 and 12" KW a good bit.
I was thinking about doing something like that Brett. I was just going to get another full set of wellnuts, screws, & washers and leave them loose but still attached to a serious wind sail like Clearview Large. Then could maybe just "hot swap" between the WV and the big 'ol CV for when SO is along for the ride.

Do you think something like that might work? I've never tried to just loosen the wellnut screws until they're almost out (a few threads still engaged) and sort of wiggle/pull them all out along with the shield. If that would work, I could maybe get some longer screws and use nylock nuts as backstops on the very end of those longer screws (under the wellnuts themselves) so I could tell when the screws had been loosened enough to do the "pull off".

Old 10-04-2010, 05:26 PM
Brettcr
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RangeRat
I was thinking about doing something like that Brett. I was just going to get another full set of wellnuts, screws, & washers and leave them loose but still attached to a serious wind sail like Clearview Large. Then could maybe just "hot swap" between the WV and the big 'ol CV for when SO is along for the ride.

Do you think something like that might work? I've never tried to just loosen the wellnut screws until they're almost out (a few threads still engaged) and sort of wiggle/pull them all out along with the shield. If that would work, I could maybe get some longer screws and use nylock nuts as backstops on the very end of those longer screws (under the wellnuts themselves) so I could tell when the screws had been loosened enough to do the "pull off".
It's worked fine for me. There is a little wiggle involved for me but no real force. I did have to replace two nuts so far Just because after a while they kinda stay all fat (they were the ones that came with the bike). I started this because i lost 2 well-nuts into the fairing . I took the fairing off for the first time and had no idea about taking the headlights out. Almost two freaking hours of cussing to get the pig back on! Anyway... i think the longer screws and nylock is a good idea, and a set on each shield is smart. 2 minute change out (instead of 5 ).

Last edited by Brettcr; 10-04-2010 at 05:33 PM.
Old 10-04-2010, 08:00 PM
RangeRat
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Seems like it might be worth a try Brett. I also liked Randytro's idea.

Originally Posted by randytro
I used a 1" wide strip of velcro (soft side, not the hook side) inplace of the gasket. Stopped my windshield from rattling.
Another thought... instead of sticking the velcro onto the windshield, maybe stick the stuff onto the fairing itself instead. Then any shield could just be popped on and off. Forget any gasket forever sort of a deal and no whistle either?

In addition, ya' know how the black paint on the inside lower part of windshields gets scrubbed off after a while? I was thinking his soft-side velcro idea might be good to get rid of the gasket AND to put another strip up on the fairing area where that rub gets started. Might preserve the black paint on every shield you ever own.

Last edited by RangeRat; 10-04-2010 at 08:03 PM.
Old 10-04-2010, 08:13 PM
JsGlide
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just put a new windshield on my RG, I am having the same trouble with the rubber strip. I am going to try some silicone and see if that solves the problem.

Old 10-04-2010, 08:36 PM
sifularson
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

FYI - Wellnuts are an ACE part.

Quick tip is to install the screws and nuts loosely to the windshield and then push them into the fairing starting at the center and working out. Tighten the scews evenly and firmly but not tightly.

My answer to the gasket issue is to get the chrome trim. I used the HD trim on my 07 and I just ordered the Kury part for my 11. I'll post my results with the Kury part when I get it in a week or so.

Steve

Old 10-04-2010, 09:27 PM
Biggzed
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 246 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by sifularson

Quick tip is to install the screws and nuts loosely to the windshield and then push them into the fairing starting at the center and working out. Tighten the scews evenly and firmly but not tightly.

My answer to the gasket issue is to get the chrome trim. I used the HD trim on my 07 and I just ordered the Kury part for my 11. I'll post my results with the Kury part when I get it in a week or so.

Steve
Your '11....... congrats bud. Hope your liking it.

Zach

Old 10-04-2010, 10:51 PM
WoodyHD
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, it looks like I'm going to try the chrome or Kuryakyn black trim also...I've already bought 2 HD windshields so far (windsplitter and 19" clear), only had the bike a month and the rubber weatherstrip on all of them suck! I did put some 3M weatherstrip adhesive on the rubber without success.

Old 10-05-2010, 01:52 AM
sifularson
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Biggzed
Your '11....... congrats bud. Hope your liking it.

Zach
I love the bike Zach. Started my Winter projects early. Stage 1, bars and chrome controls, Zumo and Ipod interface, Street glide rear facia, etc. etc.

I know . . . I just can't keep my hands off it. LOL

Old 10-05-2010, 11:43 PM
Deuce Bigelow
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sifularson

Steve
I put the 12" klock werks on and left the rubber trim off.... looks cleaner without it.
there's no way I'm putting that chrome trim on there, it's butt ugly! LOL!

Quick Reply: Road Glide windshield gasket