Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Long distance riding ailment

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 02:10 PM
Toe Knee
Road Master
Received 87 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt07
try ear plugs first. wind noise may be fatiguing your inner ear and affecting your balance. They took me a while to get used to, but now I can't ride long distance with out them. You have noise fatigue.
EXACTLY what I was gonna mention. try earplugs. You'll be surprised at how "refreshed" you feel after a longer ride.

Old 10-04-2010, 02:19 PM
spacelord
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by audettd
One more thing to add....whenever traveling whether it be in airplane, car or motorcycle...you need to stay hydrated. People tend to over look this when on the bike because its not convienent. Stop usually every hour to hour and half and just a few sips (same when in airplane or car except you don't need to stop). Even if you're not thirsty. People tend to think that you drink when you get thirsty...but reality is you need to drink before you get thirsty. Just something to try
+1 drink water. Don't think that Soda, tea, energy drinks, beer, etc... replace the need for water. Even if you drink these you still need to drink water.

Old 10-04-2010, 02:40 PM
The Old Man
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mark10
another thing you might try is to start at the toes and work your way up thru all the muscle groups, just tensing and releasing them. wriggle your toes and crunch and release and stretch them. then wriggle your ankles. stretch and release the calves. bend the knee in and out. stretch and release the thigh musles. same with the glutes.

you get the idea. do this every 15-30 minutes.
Dam if I did that every 15 miutes..I'd for get where I was going!!!

Old 10-04-2010, 02:48 PM
Jags93
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ultra Street Jewell
Rode 277 on Saturday and 304 on Sunday. The only discomfort I regularly get from riding long distances are stiffness, once I get off the bike.
Your avatar is causing me stiffness. Not sure walking around is going to help...

Old 10-04-2010, 03:10 PM
cooper57M
Tourer

When i rode 800 mile day, i took a few aspirins every 4 hours. Worked wonders for the typical aches and pains.

Old 10-04-2010, 09:50 PM
Chilibiker
Advanced

Great suggestions. Many things fatigue us: noise, vibration, dehydration, worrying. Try to eliminate each one, starting with good earplugs and/or quieter helmet, drink plenty of water (the wind dehydrates quickly), and try to relax the mind. Learn to focus and relax at the same time. Get some tunes on board.

Ride safe,

Last edited by Chilibiker; 10-08-2010 at 03:26 PM.
Old 10-04-2010, 10:16 PM
TxCowboy
Road Captain

Your body can pick up "memories" or false illusions when you travel. Ever heard the term "sea legs"? Same story.

Google the terms "proprioception" and "kinesthesia" and it'll give you simple descriptions of these two conditions (or situations).

(I'm not a doctor and I don't play one on TV. But I did spend about 25 years flying Uncle Sam's airplanes around and this was part of the knowledge base you have to have to fly.)

Hope this helps.

Old 10-04-2010, 10:26 PM
BoomerBob
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At first blush I'd say you weren't doing it right. That is you aren't training your body to handle the stress of riding long distances.

My experience is that even if I stop riding long distances for a couple of months; I need to work back up to full day rides again.

The good news is it's fun to do that!!

Please do come back and let us know what you find out about this for you personally.

Old 10-07-2010, 08:28 AM
FLTRKER
Cruiser
Default The real answer is:

Originally Posted by TxCowboy
Your body can pick up "memories" or false illusions when you travel. Ever heard the term "sea legs"? Same story.

Google the terms "proprioception" and "kinesthesia" and it'll give you simple descriptions of these two conditions (or situations).

(I'm not a doctor and I don't play one on TV. But I did spend about 25 years flying Uncle Sam's airplanes around and this was part of the knowledge base you have to have to fly.)

Hope this helps.
My guess is this is the problem- others I ride with do not mention any similar symptoms. I have had a degenerated disc problem for 30+ yrs amd a lot of broken bones including a broken neck. Most all related to M/Cs, but I had this problem 25 yrs ago when driving a truck localy all day- I still vibrated and shook it seemed when sitting in the easy chair in front of the TV 2 hrs later.
I am always in shape and stay very hydrated with water on the road and all the tires and engine are as smooth as you can get on each bike. A diesel truck or twin cyl bike bring out the symptons the most.
I use the ear plugs a lot-and I recomend them to everyone. even with a helmet. but they do help with the after effects of a long ride.
I spent 3 days in PA on 175 mile runs each day around the twisties and did not have any signs of this, which leads me to belive tx cowboy pegged it. Thanks for that input. I will research the condition.

Old 10-08-2010, 05:31 PM
Marine Trader
Cruiser

As far as stiffness after a long ride, a backrest did the trick for me. As far as the vibration,I take a little longer break at gas stops. Attitude also has alot to do with it also. When I get to do rides of any distance, I'm lovin every minute of it, and it helps to have tunes. I have XM radio plugged into the HD, HK so I don't run out of music. Good Luck.

Quick Reply: Long distance riding ailment