Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Not sure anymore...

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2010, 12:54 PM
bknibb
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not sure anymore...

Just saying.

Had a metric cruiser previously. Ran well, but always wanted a Harley. Did plenty of research and decided on a 02 TC EG.

Really love the ride. Have put 8k on her in six months and gotten to know the bike very well. It's part of me now and love that bike.

However...I ain't rich. Am now having mechanical problems which on my income are a big thing.

Is HD really worth the $$? The relationship between purchase price and a machine being dependable should go without saying. My 2003 F-150 has 112K on it and not a single problem, paid 22K for it. While I paid a bit less for the HD, always thought it stood for high quality, workmanship, and dependability. Took the bike in because of increasing valve-train type noise.

Just saying. Wasn't planning on dropping $1K this time of year, right before the holidays. Yeah, I could have stopped being a pu$$y and tried to do the work myself (it ain't rocket science after all), but in a 2-car garage and few tools, my expenditure (to equip myself and rearrange the garage) might have been a wash.

Just saying...

Old 10-20-2010, 01:01 PM
artz
Road Master

I went thru the same thing as you, having to drop money on doing the hydraulic upgrade cam chain tensioners. You are in a better position than me though. You have a garage that you can slowly take your time and learn to do the work yourself. I wish I had that option.
Order a repair manual for your bike from H-D, not a clymers, nor haynes.
Sit down take your time. I think by doing that you will have a new appreciation of your abilities to do it yourself and and that relationship with your EG will make you wonder , why didn't I start with one of these in the first place. Have fun !

Old 10-20-2010, 01:08 PM
vistavette
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 183 Likes on 129 Posts

A Harley isn't cheap but price is not always an indication of quality, so your comparison to the F150 doesn't work here. A lot of cars cost more than your truck and wont hold up as well.

The reputation for HD to not be well built has been carried over from long ago and it just isn't true any longer. You've got an 8 yr old bike and while you didn't list the amount of miles you have on the bike it isn't unusual for issues to arise as they age. We also don't know how careful the previous owner was regarding the maintenance (no matter what he told you or how he seems). Metrics have just as many issues as they get older when compared to HD and often more. Also (at least around Vegas) a metric is not less expensive to work on and in many cases they are more. It sucks that you have to lay out cash and that stuff always seems to come up at the worst time. My opionon is "yes" they are worth it and I have not seen any other current make/model that is any better.

Last edited by vistavette; 10-20-2010 at 02:07 PM.
Old 10-20-2010, 01:15 PM
Mike T
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you'll make the effort to work on it yourself,it'll save you a lot of money.They are simple to work on compared to metrics.

Old 10-20-2010, 04:21 PM
bknibb
Intermediate
Default Surprised...

Thanks for the positive (mostly) words dudes. As for miles, had 12K when I bought it and now has 21K. Bike was maintained at the dealer (Paradise in Beaverton, OR). Took the bike in several times to verify "is this normal...", not being used to the HD sounds. Believe you me, I ride harder than most, but ... thinkin' it's a HD I should be able to, right?

To Mike T and artz, thanks for the motivational words to grow a *&^ and be a man, fix my own bike. While I take EXCELLENT care of any machine own, there has always been the hesitancy regarding major repair. You guys are just confirming what the internal dialog shames me to do, BE A DUDE!

vistavette, you sound like a mechanic. Am I right? As far as comparisons go...it's more about application should dictate design and parts. Having a lifter go bad after 20K on a bike well maintained seems ludicrous, all things considered, especially cost (initial and/or replacement). HD knows some parts MUST be manufactured to withstand excessive heat/friction. The lifter/cam discussion populates any and all HD discussion forums, as does how riders feel about it. The dealers won't really bad-mouth HD cuz' they're making some nice coin on repair/replacement work.

All that hoo haa being said, unless some other major part goes this or next year, I'm sticking with HD. Riding one feels...I don't know...better than a metric. Part perception, part mystique, part sound...not sure which. It's part of me know and it'll be tough to switch back to metric after riding an HD.

Old 10-20-2010, 04:35 PM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 216 Likes on 129 Posts

Coupl've things, first off, sorry to here you're having problems with your ride man. Second, it's not normal for lifters to go out like that. It's hard to say when you bought a 9 year old bike, who said it was dealer mainained? The dealer you bought it at? Or was it purchased off an individual? Does your bike have aftermarket cams in it? Maybe it has adjustable pushrods that weren't adjusted properly and that led to your lifter failure. Fixing it yourself might not be near as bad as it may seam. You seam pretty bright, if you get adjusatable pushrods you don't have to take down the top end, you can use bold cutters to cut out your stock pushrods then remove the lifters that way. Good luck bro, hope it works out for you, keep us posted.

Old 10-20-2010, 04:43 PM
fat_tony
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 168 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by bknibb
Just saying.

Had a metric cruiser previously. Ran well, but always wanted a Harley. Did plenty of research and decided on a 02 TC EG.

Really love the ride. Have put 8k on her in six months and gotten to know the bike very well. It's part of me now and love that bike.

However...I ain't rich. Am now having mechanical problems which on my income are a big thing.

Is HD really worth the $$? The relationship between purchase price and a machine being dependable should go without saying. My 2003 F-150 has 112K on it and not a single problem, paid 22K for it. While I paid a bit less for the HD, always thought it stood for high quality, workmanship, and dependability. Took the bike in because of increasing valve-train type noise.

Just saying. Wasn't planning on dropping $1K this time of year, right before the holidays. Yeah, I could have stopped being a pu$$y and tried to do the work myself (it ain't rocket science after all), but in a 2-car garage and few tools, my expenditure (to equip myself and rearrange the garage) might have been a wash.

Just saying...
Get yourself a DIY manual like Cyclepedia and do the work yourself. It's not that hard with a good DIY manual and will save you big bucks. You also know the work is done right. The only thing I go near a motorcycle shop for is to bring a rim in to get tires mounted and balanced.

Old 10-20-2010, 05:58 PM
dansflhti
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

I wish i had a 2 car garage,I wish I had a 1 car garage.

Old 10-20-2010, 06:32 PM
cruise_carter
Road Captain
Received 39 Likes on 13 Posts

Hang in there friend, the Harley is worth it.
I have an 02 EGC with almost 100,000 km on it.

Stills run well.

Sometimes you just have to jump in a bit and do stuff yourself.
Find a friend or co-worker who is knowledgeable and ask for help.

Ask around for a good indy mechanic for the more challenging bits.

This past summer I decided to tackle replacing both tires, bit nervous but with the service manual and basic tools (bead breaker, tire levers, etc.,) got it done and actually gained a lot of confidence for the future.

If money is tight, park it in the garage until you get some together.

ride safe when out there...

Old 10-20-2010, 06:37 PM
stewy1200c
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't know what you rode for a metric, but what do you think an 9 year old metric with 21k on it is worth? I'm sure its far less then your EG. That said... Dealerships usually have a much higher service rate then a local Indy, try to find one and see what they would charge. You have a garage, get the service manual and do repairs yourself if you can't afford a local Indy. If that don't work for ya sell the bike buy another Metric and pocket the extra cash. Oh and don't forget to sell the Harley Tee shirts on Ebay.

Quick Reply: Not sure anymore...