Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

soft or hard, the decision is in

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 10:30 AM
ncdan
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default soft or hard, the decision is in

I have been tring to decide if the hard lower fairings are worth the money or not as aposed to the soft, along with the fork wind deflectors. I decided on the after market lowers from the Fairing factory co. They cost 309.00 delivered to my door as apposed to 650.00 + from my local dealer. To be honest, after looking closely to both ome and the aftermarket, I cant see little, if any quality differance, definately not 300.00 bucks worth. After installing them I took a ride down the interstate at 70 + mph. There was not a great amount of differance in the wind pertection, however if I was pushed to make a call I would have to say the soft lowers and deflectors keep a little more wind off my face. Sorry for the length of my post I felt there may be some out there with the same situtation as myself and that is what this site is about. One more thing the hard lowers sure looks good coming toward you. Hope this helps someone with the same issues.

Old 11-16-2010, 10:43 AM
55Rick
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I found the same thing after installing hard lowers without the fork mounted deflectors. The wind protection was worse so I modified the lowers, cut out a half moon arc, so they would not hit the lowers when I turned. Wind protection is much better now..

Old 11-16-2010, 10:54 AM
oldandbusted
Advanced

Thanks for the post. I have been waffling over the lowers from thefaringfactory for a while. Are glove boxes included with them?

Old 11-16-2010, 11:03 AM
sanlyn
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a set up lowers on order from Zanotti's, $493 for the set painted Black Denim. I'm hoping I have better luck with the wind.

Old 11-16-2010, 11:50 AM
ncdan
Tourer

Rick, can u possibly send me a picture or maby measurements of the cut out in your deflectors, I may try that I know im goin to miss that nice quiet wind pocket the deflector, soft lower provides. Old, the glove boxes are included.

Old 11-16-2010, 01:16 PM
55Rick
Novice

I will try and do that for you. Measurement wise, it was trial and error. I mounted them, covered my lowers and using a marker to trace out areas for cutting until they cleared. Pictures will help make it clear.

Old 11-16-2010, 01:20 PM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,622 Posts

After I added my hard lowers - also went w/HD fork baffle (already had fairing lowers). With all three (hard lowers, fairing wings & fork baffle) wind routes around perfectly.

Old 11-16-2010, 02:03 PM
Shakeydeal
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your wife said hard........

Sorry, couldn't resist.......

Old 11-16-2010, 02:33 PM
Deuce Bigelow
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a set of Fairing Factory vented lowers coming tomorrow, after a quick trial fit and disassembly the go to get painted...

Old 11-16-2010, 03:27 PM
ncdan
Tourer

Iceman, can you get me a part number for trhe fork baffle and maby a picture. I dont know if Ive ever saw one. It sounds like you have found the perfect combo and all i need is this fork baffle thing you have sprung on us.

Quick Reply: soft or hard, the decision is in