Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lowering Heel shifter?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 10:00 AM
93+octane
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JonnyD
Best thing you can do! Never understood the heel shifter anyways. How do people ride with them on? Unless your foot is 6" long they are in the way and restricting.
I only read the first page of responses when I came across this. On my way home from nearly a 700 mile trip last week I decided to stop at a shop and pick up some Gerbings boot liners. Got off the interstate and my front shifter decided it was a good time to strip out. Without my rear lever I would have been screwed. Fortunately the HD shop (Tilleys) was able to have me fixed in less time than it took me to have breakfast at Waffle House. I will be making a couple adjustments (as much as a PIA it is) to raise my front and lower the rear but glad I have both. Not really that much of a job but I wish HD made a rear with a longer reach as I personally do not care for the alternatives like Kuryakyn has to offer.

Old 11-18-2010, 10:42 AM
Ronp42
Account Retired
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 93+octane
I only read the first page of responses when I came across this. On my way home from nearly a 700 mile trip last week I decided to stop at a shop and pick up some Gerbings boot liners. Got off the interstate and my front shifter decided it was a good time to strip out. Without my rear lever I would have been screwed. Fortunately the HD shop (Tilleys) was able to have me fixed in less time than it took me to have breakfast at Waffle House. I will be making a couple adjustments (as much as a PIA it is) to raise my front and lower the rear but glad I have both. Not really that much of a job but I wish HD made a rear with a longer reach as I personally do not care for the alternatives like Kuryakyn has to offer.
If Folks haven't already done it, one of the best things I did was extend my Floorboards out 1" Got to have my heel shifter!!!

Old 11-18-2010, 10:58 AM
Port Dawg
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All done and now time to ride...

The shifter just barely touches the floorboard rubber on a shift but doesn't inhibit shifting afaict Think Dohadex said his is like this too

I brought it down 2 positions from where it was at....maybe a tad lower than I would like but the next position up I would still be needing to lift my whole foot to shift.

Put some blue loctite on it and hope it stays in lol

Crok- No offense taken! I am one of those types that even though I can do something I will take advantage of any ones knowledge who has done it before

Old 11-18-2010, 11:31 AM
shore
Stellar HDF Member
Received 96 Likes on 70 Posts

I didn't want mine to contact the floorboard. Just turn the shift linkage rod a bit.

Old 11-18-2010, 01:18 PM
Hardcorvette
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

With a socket allen, this takes less than a minute to do. I have mine adjusted where the heel shifter barely touches the the rubber on the floor board.

Old 11-18-2010, 02:29 PM
ftanner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 93+octane
Walter's Workshop makes extended shifter levers that look just like stock but are 2.25" longer than stock. That is what I bought for my rear shift lever. I have a size 12 foot and it moved it back plenty. Put two of those on and you have 4.5" of extra space.

Old 11-18-2010, 03:03 PM
fdh161
Supporter
Received 193 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by JonnyD
Best thing you can do! Never understood the heel shifter anyways. How do people ride with them on? Unless your foot is 6" long they are in the way and restricting.
I solved that issue by purchasing the 34635-90T Custom Shifter Peg ($12.95) and cutting it in half. Got a shorter allen bolt to mount it ($2 from HD, would have been about 29 cents at Home Depot). Looks sort of like a "stubby" on the shifter, but still plenty long enough to be functional while giving room to slide my foot backwards with the sole of my boot still firmly planted on the floorboard.

Old 11-18-2010, 03:15 PM
Port Dawg
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Hardcorvette
With a socket allen, this takes less than a minute to do. I have mine adjusted where the heel shifter barely touches the the rubber on the floor board.
That is pretty much where where mine is at now...just barely touches...after a few minutes to get used to the lower height it is all good Put about 40 miles on today and it didn't fall off

Old 11-18-2010, 03:32 PM
bdp
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

When changing the cover set the bike straight up using your jack, and for the heel shifter, don't go to low or it will hit the board and not be able to shift.