Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Muffler cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2006, 03:35 AM
dforeid
Road Captain
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts
Default RE: Muffler cleaning

ORIGINAL: schultz

I have heard others talk about spraying oven cleaner on. Have not tryed it through.
Hey Shulttz, any chance you can get the guy who uses oven cleaner on his scooter to post a picture of his bike?

Hehehehehehehe - I'd love to see it!

Old 09-23-2006, 04:53 AM
Old Greaser
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have good success with the copper 'Brillo' pads sold for kitchen pots and pans. It doesn't have to be that brand, but it's important that it's copper since that's softer than your chrome so it won't scratch. The coarse stuff that look like a wad of machine shop shavings is best....

Old 09-23-2006, 09:17 AM
Hackd
Elite HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 76 Posts

ORIGINAL: Sreynold1...Any suggestions on a product that will remove the grime with less effort. I'm would rather ride than clean, plus I'm a lazy ba$tard...
Considering some of the posts about using caustics, flamables, scouring pads....Why don't ya just pull the mufflers off, FedEx em to me and I'll stick 'em in my sandblaster. A couple of minutes at 90 psi using AluminumOxide and I'll get that crap off of 'em. They'll sorta have a matte finish with a rust patina when you get them back. Some folks like that look.

Old 09-23-2006, 12:45 PM
rideon
Road Warrior
Received 111 Likes on 74 Posts

I use oven cleaner on my pipes all the time for taking off shoe rubber that the GF continually burns on the left pipe. Spray on a rag, wipe on, let it soak for awhile, wipe off. Easy and doesn't scratch the chrome.

Old 09-24-2006, 05:26 AM
jrp
Cruiser

Oven cleaner IS the way to go!

Warm the pipes, then brush it on. Use a tooth brush or soft rag to loosen material. DO NOT use steel wool or pot scrubbers or any other abrasive material. Wash the area with plenty of water from a no nozzle garden hose. The oven cleaner will eat up the toothbrush. DO NOT repeat DO NOT spray it on. Spraying the oven cleaner can lead to application in unintended areas.

Oven cleaner will not harm clear coated paint but non clearcoated paint, pinstripping, murals, decals or plastic are a goner. This method is used to remove markings and decals off auctioned vehicles and police cars.

I've used and and effectively recommended a number of times. Stubborn, caked on or ancient stains may take a few applications. If the old burnt on offending substance did not tarnish the finish... the pipes will come out sparkling clean. This will work ...just be patient and gentle.

Old 09-24-2006, 09:52 AM
pilot1996
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: Old Greaser

I have good success with the copper 'Brillo' pads sold for kitchen pots and pans. It doesn't have to be that brand, but it's important that it's copper since that's softer than your chrome so it won't scratch. The coarse stuff that look like a wad of machine shop shavings is best....

Mac

Old 09-24-2006, 02:57 PM
Harry Manback
Cruiser

Cold pipes, and Mr. Clean Magic Eraser...

Best thing I have bought in a long time.

Old 09-24-2006, 03:34 PM
lschultz
Road Master

I think some have responded on here how they use oven cleaner. Duh you put it on the mufflers not on his scooter as you call it. And this is how you spell Schultz not Shulttz. Where did you go to school?[sm=chairshot.gif]
I would spray it on a rag and wipe the muffler with off with it.

ORIGINAL: dforeid

ORIGINAL: schultz

I have heard others talk about spraying oven cleaner on. Have not tryed it through.
Hey Shulttz, any chance you can get the guy who uses oven cleaner on his scooter to post a picture of his bike?

Hehehehehehehe - I'd love to see it!