Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mobil 1 & Mobil 1 V-Twin, whats the difference?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 06:48 PM
cromagnon
Elite HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by iclick
The 15w50 M1 has been reviewed three MC-mag oil tests that I've seen and it presents itself very well among the usual suspects in the oil world. It does have slightly less zinc and phosphorus than the VT variant but according to these tests this isn't enough to cause concern, plus it has double the amount of moly, which is the best anti-friction additive available, IMO. If I had to choose which to use it would be the 15w50, partly because of its much-lower cost. The VT has a lower quantity of moly because it is marketed for MC's and must be compatible with wet clutches for those bikes that combine engine and clutch oil, as we all know that friction-modifiers and clutches don't mix. Some use the products with higher moly (like M1 15w50) without any problems probably because their clutch surface area is sufficient to overcome the reduced friction in these oils, but I avoid oils that are too slick in the primary as a rule. Less is better in that environment, IMO, and that means you can use a cheaper oil with more effectiveness than an expensive synthetic.

About two years ago two friends engaged in a project to modify their 88ci 2000 EG's to 95ci. One had used M1 15w50 for 60k miles and the other Amsoil 20w50 for 50k miles, and when the jugs, pistons, and heads were removed neither engine showed any measurable or visible wear. Both still had the hone marks showing on the cylinders and even the piston coating was still intact. Needless to say, the M1 costs about half that of the Amsoil product. The guy running the M1 is a long-time, well-respected tech who refurbishes and modifies race engines for fun in his retirement, and he would not use an oil in his Harley engine that wasn't appropriate. Many use it and I've never heard a negative report from any source, and you simply can't beat the price (~$23/5-qt. jug at Wal-Mart).

I think the OP will be happy with this answer, I know I am. You have completely cleared it up in my head. Thanks!

Old 11-19-2010, 07:43 PM
mech-a-nic
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use M1 V-Twin in all 3 holes with no problems. And we are talking 5.99 vs. 9.99 a quart. The 15 or so extra bucks every 5k is a mute point to me(thats less than a half cent a mile) and I only have to carry 1 type of oil to cover them all. I mean come on guys you bought a HARLEY lets not cheep out on the Important stuff like OIL.

Old 11-19-2010, 07:53 PM
DTTJGlide
Stellar HDF Member
Received 236 Likes on 145 Posts

I read a test that I believe was on this forum that compared M1 V Twin with regular & they found the VT to have better viscosity stability than regular M1, in other words after 2K miles it remained closer to 20/50 than did the 15/50. That being said, I have used 15/50 for over 125K miles & had no problems, 76K on a stock 88 & 50K on a 100hp 103, internals looked great on tear downs. I am now using M1 VT just because it's supposed to protect even better, I guess I figure my bike is worth the extra $36 a year to have the best that Mobil makes for Harleys, even though my current bike is a 2000 with 91K on it. Use what you want, either is a great oil, but to say that there isn't any difference is not the case, Mobil spent research time to develop the best oil for Harleys, does it cost more to produce? Probably very little, but they sell it in a lot less quantity so that's their justification for the higher price. If you shop around you can find it for around $8 a quart, so about $12 more per change, I feel my bikes worth it.

Old 11-19-2010, 11:48 PM
Dino M
Advanced

Hey guys,

I'm just posting what the FAQ section had to say on the Mobil 1 website to save everyone the trouble of having to look it up, that's all. These are their words, not mine.
Use whatever makes you feel comfortable.

Here's some more useless information that I found poking around their site...for what it's worth.

Question:
Using Mobil 1 15W-50 in Harley-Davidsons
Several independent tests have shown that Mobil 15W-50 is virtually similar to Mobil 1 V-Twin 20W-50 oil. Since Harleys utilize separate oil supplies for the primary and tranny, is there any valid reason not to use the 15W-50 in a Harley?
-- Dave Gartner, Goodyear, AZ

Answer:
As long as the primary and tranny are separate sumps and there is no concern for clutch performance, then Mobil 1 15W-50 can be used in a Harley.

Old 11-20-2010, 04:46 AM
heng
Intermediate
Default M1 V Twin for USA only?

No M1 V Twin in South East Asia.

Old 11-20-2010, 06:34 AM
huffhuff
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Notgrownup
price....i use the 15W50...got some Valvoline on sale this past week for $4.99/quart.
i had 70K on my 2001 RK using 15-50 from 1st change at 500 miles. added gear drive cams at 55K and had no wear indication. i started my 2009 with same at 500 miles. the differences in additives are so slight there is no reason to pay the higher price for V-Twin.

Old 11-20-2010, 06:55 AM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I spent some time researching this yesterday and I'm still leaning toward Amsoil 20W50 for all holes. It wasn't the best in every category, but it seems to come out on top when it's all averaged out - especially stability. The only thing I might change is the Amsoil 75W90 for the transmission.

Old 11-20-2010, 07:41 AM
nvsteve
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by brenn
I spent some time researching this yesterday and I'm still leaning toward Amsoil 20W50 for all holes. It wasn't the best in every category, but it seems to come out on top when it's all averaged out - especially stability. The only thing I might change is the Amsoil 75W90 for the transmission.
Go with the 75W90 in the tranny. You won't be disappointed.

Old 11-20-2010, 03:42 PM
cromagnon
Elite HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by mech-a-nic
I use M1 V-Twin in all 3 holes with no problems. And we are talking 5.99 vs. 9.99 a quart. The 15 or so extra bucks every 5k is a mute point to me(thats less than a half cent a mile) and I only have to carry 1 type of oil to cover them all. I mean come on guys you bought a HARLEY lets not cheep out on the Important stuff like OIL.
Who's cheaping out? I pay 12 bucks a qt for stuff I put into the tranny and the same for the primary.

Why would you put motor oil where gear oil should go? I absolutely don't believe that you pay 5.99 a qt for Mobil 1 V-Twin oil ... just ain't no way. Walmart has had it at 8.99 but that's the cheapest I've ever seen it.

I priced out the Mobil 1 15W 50 at Walmart today. It was 23.00 fir a 5 gallon container.

Old 11-20-2010, 03:54 PM
Lakerat
Road Warrior
Received 85 Likes on 65 Posts

5 gallons for $23.00? When is that sale gonna end?

Quick Reply: Mobil 1 & Mobil 1 V-Twin, whats the difference?