Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mobil 1 & Mobil 1 V-Twin, whats the difference?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2010, 04:25 PM
soos
Grand HDF Member
Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Lakerat
5 gallons for $23.00? When is that sale gonna end?
Obviously a typo. I just picked up 3 jugs (15qts) for $73.74.

Old 11-20-2010, 05:28 PM
nvsteve
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by soos
Obviously a typo. I just picked up 3 jugs (15qts) for $73.74.
Yah, I made the mistake once of posting gallons when I meant quarts. I've seen the 5 gallon jugs of 15-50 as low as $21 at Walmart.

Old 11-20-2010, 06:16 PM
1st 96 ultra
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bikehe
Seahag its good to hear from someone that has stripped a motor down and given it an inspection. Also the Mobil 1 for cars is highly recommended for vehicles with turbos and superchargers so the oil must be high temp tolerant especially going through the bearings on the turbo. Another thing is that the Mobil 1 car oil has a higher flash point to that of the v-twin stuff, so wouldnt that be better for an air cooled bike. From what I understand the other difference is that it dosnt have the friction modifiers in it for wet clutches which isnt needed on our bikes
I run the v-twin in my primary also so if I understand this right I can use the automotive in the motor just not the primary

Old 11-20-2010, 09:07 PM
soos
Grand HDF Member
Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by 1st 96 ultra
I run the v-twin in my primary also so if I understand this right I can use the automotive in the motor just not the primary
Running a synthetic in the primary is just a waste of a good synthetic and $$$. The primary purpose of the oil in the primary is for cooling not lubrication and a good 10w-40 like Castrol GTX is all that I use. I change it out at the end of every season.

Old 11-20-2010, 09:25 PM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 167 Likes on 108 Posts

Maybe we should be running a 50/50 mixture of Mobil 1 15W-50 car oil and 20W-50 V-Twin oil. What do you guys think?

Nevermind! Just Kidding.

Old 11-20-2010, 10:02 PM
bikehe
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cromagnon
I think the OP will be happy with this answer, I know I am. You have completely cleared it up in my head. Thanks!
Yup, thanks guys for all the answers and keeping my post on the subject, it is really appreciated. Went down to the local garage this morning and bought some 15w-50 for half what I normally pay for the VT stuff. Gave the engine an oil change this morning. Ill keep the VT stuff for the primary.

Old 11-21-2010, 02:11 AM
heavyhitter01
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For what is worth, I have used regular mobile one in all my vehicles including my sport bikes that I beat the hell out of. Never replaced a clutch in any of them.

Also used it in a car that I put a turbo kit on. It took the heat from that just fine. Car had 20k on it when I installed the turbo and the car is in my cousins hands now with over 100k on it. Still runs like a champ.

I am not trying to sway anyone one way or the other, to each there own. It is just my experience that I thought I would share.

Old 11-21-2010, 07:53 AM
beammeup
Road Master
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Does the fact that Amsoil 20 -50 with the Amsoil filter can go for over 8000 miles before needing changed (per my Blackstone anaysis) go into the equation of what oil to use at least for some riders who put miles on each year? Just wondering how that works into the decision process.

Old 11-21-2010, 08:09 AM
masterblaster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 100 Posts

Most modern oils from major brand can go that long, but most people like me do automatically at 3k.

Originally Posted by beammeup
Does the fact that Amsoil 20 -50 with the Amsoil filter can go for over 8000 miles before needing changed (per my Blackstone anaysis) go into the equation of what oil to use at least for some riders who put miles on each year? Just wondering how that works into the decision process.

Old 11-21-2010, 08:11 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,507 Likes on 3,336 Posts

Originally Posted by beammeup
I have put about 7500 miles on Amsoil and Mobil 1 both with a HD filter and also a Fram filter and when i took the oil out it still looks like regular oil...It didn't smell overly burnt or bad??? no shavings on the drain plug magnet...easy miles on hwy mostly,....The flip side is when i go to the hills and ride really hard i don't let it go past 5000 miles...level goes down a bit when i ride hard.... engine brake a lot in the hills...i still ride it like i stole it cuz it's so much damn fun to hear that pipe music...55000 miles and i still ride it hard whenever i want...It's just a freaking motor....it needs to be stretched out every once in a while.

Quick Reply: Mobil 1 & Mobil 1 V-Twin, whats the difference?