Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Proud new Road Glide Custom owner, HELP

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 10:13 PM
scottycameron
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Proud new Road Glide Custom owner, HELP

I love the bike to death but i'm just a big guy! 6'6" and would like to know if any of you have suggestions to get me a bit more comfortable as far as a different seat or windshield? The custom windshield is short and not bad until you hit 60 or so, then a person get's alot of wind. As far as the seat, it's comfortable but i feel a little cramped, would like to scoot back a bit! P.S. I don't need to worry about comfort for her. Thanks

Old 11-30-2010, 10:27 PM
sifularson
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

You can send your stock seat and have it modified. Do a search for Mean City Seats. Lots of happy customers here.

You'll also need to get floorboard spacers.

Several choices for shields. Windvest is popular and I hear they now offer a 16" which would be the size you need. I'm 5'10" and the 14" is perfect for me.

I have Wild One 12" Outlawz on mine and the bars are much more comfortable than stock.

So all you need to do is . . . seat, bars, windshield, and floorboards. Before you know it, you'll have that bike fitting like a glove.

Old 11-30-2010, 10:42 PM
Deuce Bigelow
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

try an HD tallboy seat... it should move you back further..
I had the exact opposite problem! LOL!

Old 11-30-2010, 10:49 PM
Damascus
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

It all comes down to torso height - not overall height - and wind versus buffeting/turbulence - the former being "clean" air/wind, and the latter beating the hell out of your head to the point of your eyeballs are about to fall out.

My personal experience with a number of different brands/bikes is that you either have the shield low enough that you are in "clean" air/wind, or you have the shield high enough to throw the wind up and over.

In between, for me, and I wind up with buffeting/turbulence.

Here's a good example ... I went in - money in hand - to buy a Street Glide, but over 40 mph, it beat the hell out of my head. (Keep in mind, I've done up to 176 mph on race replicas without a hint of buffeting/turbulence.) I then tried a Road King, and all was well. That's the bike I bought.

You may be in for a period of trial and error like most of us, but trust me, "clean" air/wind is much better than buffeting/turbulence.

Good luck,
Murph

Old 11-30-2010, 10:58 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 395 Likes on 337 Posts

seat first, then windshield. I am 6'2".
From the stock cush seat on my classic, I am using a thinner/lower streetglide seat.

on my classic the stock 12" has me looking through it too much

9" is a bit too much air and bugs in the forehead

10" was just right bugs sail into my hair - I think- no wind blast shaking my glasses and I have a great view of the road with out lexan in the way....but I can still tuck in for short periods in the rain.

have not tried any of the windshields with the recurve yet.

when i went to the lower seat, it much improved my handbar positioning.

BTW if you want to play with windshield height you can get stock windshields from other riders cheap, and I used a rotozip to cut the bottom, so that my rough work was concealed.

Mike

Old 11-30-2010, 11:02 PM
Deuce Bigelow
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Damascus
It all comes down to torso height - not overall height - and wind versus buffeting/turbulence - the former being "clean" air/wind, and the latter beating the hell out of your head to the point of your eyeballs are about to fall out.

My personal experience with a number of different brands/bikes is that you either have the shield low enough that you are in "clean" air/wind, or you have the shield high enough to throw the wind up and over.

In between, for me, and I wind up with buffeting/turbulence.

Here's a good example ... I went in - money in hand - to buy a Street Glide, but over 40 mph, it beat the hell out of my head. (Keep in mind, I've done up to 176 mph on race replicas without a hint of buffeting/turbulence.) I then tried a Road King, and all was well. That's the bike I bought.

You may be in for a period of trial and error like most of us, but trust me, "clean" air/wind is much better than buffeting/turbulence.

Good luck,
Murph

so you bought a Road King based on the stock windshield..
that's like not buying a bike because you don't like the stock seat, or the stock exhaust... LOL!

the stock windshield on a Street Glide sucks as bad as the stock windshield on a Road Glide..
that's why you can't judge the "test" ride at the dealership on whether the bike (or windshield) is the right one for you. they make aftermarket windshields for a reason.........

I have the 12" Klock Werks on my 2010 Road Glide and I love it!
the wind just hits the top of my helmet..

judging from the original posters height, I would say a 14" or 16" windshield would be good for him.

Last edited by Deuce Bigelow; 11-30-2010 at 11:04 PM.
Old 11-30-2010, 11:04 PM
WoodyHD
Road Warrior

In a windshield, are you after more "form" or "function"? This will probably help more with the replies you get...

Old 11-30-2010, 11:08 PM
scottycameron
Cruiser

I'd like the best of both worlds! I like the custom look, but woulnd't mind putting a little more windshield on for long trips i guess.

Old 12-01-2010, 12:58 AM
Garcou
Club Member

Iam 6'4 currently running the sundowner seat, yaffe monkey bars and WAS using a cee baileys 14 dome (I broke it couple of weeks ago) set up works real good, I did have the tall boy seat but thought the fit and finish was crap. If you check out cee baileys site they just released a new shield for the 10 and 11 roadglides you might check em out! As far as a seat to set you back and don't mind going with a solo seat I highly recommend the Danny gray big seat! Floor board spacers would be a good idea as well! Good luck

Old 12-01-2010, 08:06 AM
Deuce Bigelow
Road Warrior

Garcou,

I have a really hard time reading your posts, your avatar keeps distracting me!

Quick Reply: Proud new Road Glide Custom owner, HELP