Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which chassis stabilizer??

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 11:24 PM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

I have an 07 and installed a Ride Str8 link a little over a year ago. I think they may have gone out of business, but the TWR unit is very similar. I wouldn't have an older bike without some type of swingarm link. In fact, I'm planning on further suspension upgrades, too. I've ridden an older bike that had several upgrades done to it, and it rode and handled even better than the new bikes.

Old 12-11-2010, 12:59 AM
MSgt Rose
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check your tire pressure and your shock pressure, these have a huge effect on the handling of your bike. I bought the bagger brace for my 08 and didn't feel much difference, if at all. The most significant change in the handling was when I discovered that my suspension was under-pressured and my tires were a few lbs low.

Old 12-11-2010, 07:46 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,854 Likes on 2,420 Posts

Originally Posted by evolau
Mike you had better check air pressure as mentioned. The frame to engine supports will help but the down side is tranferring vibrations to the frame than to the bars.I have a 07 FLHTC and installed one on mine and after a couple of weeks I pulled it off I do hit a lot of twistys and I'd rather deal with the LITTLE sway than the vibration all the time. Don't turn you're rubber mount motor to a solid mount Not Worth It.
Not all these stabilizer kits are created equal IMHO. There are enough of us on HDF with them installed to assure readers that they do NOT turn rubber mounts into solids! If anyone has suffered from vibration problems either the kit was a poor choice, or there is something else wrong.

Personally I would not fit any kit that uses stabilizer links that are a different length to those already on the bike. Some of them use much shorter ones and that seems to me to be a recipe for conflict. It also suggests the designer doesn't fully understand what they are doing!

If you have problems with a stabilizer kit post here so we can try to sort it out (a new post would be better!)

Old 12-11-2010, 12:34 PM
SA315B
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 2008 FLHX and tried two different stabilizers, I kept the Glide Pro as it makes the bike turn like it was on rails and it didn’t add vibration the way the other system did. I run an Elite 3 on the rear and it makes a big difference for the first 6-7,000 miles.

I have a theory that the real problem is the weight of the fairing hanging on the front end. I believe the Road King a better handling bike and much less prone to bagger wobble because it doesn’t have all that extra weight hanging off the front.

Old 12-11-2010, 12:38 PM
Jim Dawson
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by HOG_0308
i would say it is going to be your tires. i personally dont like the Harley tires. i prefer the Dunlops at 40psi front and back. handles like a dream ,08 Ultra. i had the wiggle all the time with the stock Harley tires. the tread runs make all the difference with the Dunlops.
Are you saying that your Harley tires are not Dunlops? What brand did your harley come with? Everyone else's Harley came with Dunlops.

Old 12-11-2010, 01:32 PM
petom
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,037 Likes on 520 Posts

I put a TWR "Missing Link" on my 98 RKC. Least intrusive of the Heim-joint stabilizers, which all appear to do the same thing: tie the trans. case to the frame in the left-to-right plane while allowing free movement in the up-down and back-and forth. If you're feeling excessive vibration the Heim is binding and not moving freely.

FWIW, don't let an after-market frame stabilizer take the place of proper tire inflation/wear condition or suspension set-up. These will have a bigger effect on the "rear steer" condition. As will your riding style.

Dunlops are "Harley tires", at least since 1980.

my $.02

Last edited by petom; 12-11-2010 at 01:38 PM.
Old 12-11-2010, 01:56 PM
sifularson
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Had a TWR on my 07. Terry is an awesome guy with a great product. Customer service is first rate too.

TWR MISSING LINK