Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which chassis stabilizer??

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 09:02 PM
mike56
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which chassis stabilizer??

Have a new 2010 FLHX, traded my 97 FLHR.
I do feel that "wiggle" from time to time, mostly entering turns. Never felt it with the FLHR.

I see that there are a bunch of frame stabilizers out there. Is any one better than another?

Will they all be some improvement?

Old 12-07-2010, 09:14 PM
user 8373900
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't think you will find much in the way of stabilizers for the new frame. Maybe you have a low tire or something loose? My 2011 Limited is solid as a rock in turns.

Mark

Old 12-08-2010, 12:23 AM
Northside
Road Warrior
Received 141 Likes on 87 Posts

Yes they do make them. It's imperteritive you buy one because without it your bike will never handle like a road racer in the twisties. Oh yeah it's a touring bike, it will never be a road racer anyway. As P.T. Barnum said "There's a sucker born every minute." Alignment and good tires will usually improve any baggers handling immensely. That new bike should be way more steady than that '97 with the old swingarm and cleve blocks mounting. Adding more junk will just slow you down.

Old 12-08-2010, 08:39 AM
stevepacman
Road Master
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

If you ride alot you may not like the extra vibration transmitted to the frame by the stabilizer. I had one and pulled it off after two days.

Old 12-08-2010, 09:04 AM
gmc
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just installed the www.glide-pro.com system. liked the engeneering and makes sense. He is suppose to have his stabilizer for 09 up this winter, watch the tech info on his site and give Jake a call.

Old 12-08-2010, 09:07 AM
leicafish
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

09 and after you will not need the stabilizer, and truthfully I do not use a stabilizer on my 07( you adapt)

Back you your bike check tire pressure and learn to adjust the shocks. I run 35-40 lbs. I am 155 lbs and the wife is 112 lbs. Running Ortega, Live Oak, Sequoia-Kings canyon or Idywild no problems.

In my opinion would be wasting money.

Last edited by leicafish; 12-08-2010 at 09:10 AM.
Old 12-08-2010, 09:12 AM
HOG_0308
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i would say it is going to be your tires. i personally dont like the Harley tires. i prefer the Dunlops at 40psi front and back. handles like a dream ,08 Ultra. i had the wiggle all the time with the stock Harley tires. the tread runs make all the difference with the Dunlops.

Old 12-08-2010, 11:06 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,853 Likes on 2,420 Posts

True-Track do a stabilizer for your bike, that functions as Erik Buell intended these things to work. I have them on both my old Glide and Dyna. Neither caused any change in vibration.

Your later bike has a better system than pre-09 touring bikes, but still has rubber engine mounts that do not have lateral support. Buell intended front and rear mounts should have stabilizer links, to allow movement in the vertical plane, but prevent sideways movement.

The majority of the stabilizers currently available will not fit your bike, but IMHO the True-Track system is original and best!

Last edited by grbrown; 12-08-2010 at 11:08 AM. Reason: Expanded.
Old 12-08-2010, 12:07 PM
knewt5
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been researching this to death. there are many threads on this forum about this. Here's just one:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...ing-input.html

You can try searching "flhx wobble" in this forum and it will turn up multiple threads

I'm unsure as to whether I'll need one or not and won't know till spring (my new '07 SG is in storage) but based on what I've seen I'm leaning toward the BaggerBrace. It seems the most substantial of the group to me. It has multiple connection points which I think lends to a good distribution of stress throughout the frame. I'm not sure it will fit your bike. They have a great reputation for awesome customer service so I'm sure they'll take you call and answer any questions

http://bitchinbaggers.com/products/bagger-brace/

Sounds to me like you'll be using one of these before I will so I'll look for feedback on your ecperience

Last edited by knewt5; 12-08-2010 at 12:09 PM.
Old 12-10-2010, 06:56 PM
evolau
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mike you had better check air pressure as mentioned. The frame to engine supports will help but the down side is tranferring vibrations to the frame than to the bars.I have a 07 FLHTC and installed one on mine and after a couple of weeks I pulled it off I do hit a lot of twistys and I'd rather deal with the LITTLE sway than the vibration all the time. Don't turn you're rubber mount motor to a solid mount Not Worth It.

Quick Reply: Which chassis stabilizer??