Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

D&D exhaust and new computer fuel system installed for $2,400?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 02:48 AM
2004vmc
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Garcou
Of course you could covert to a carb for around 800.00! Really though I have first hand experience with the marrelli conversion kit, it's expensive yes but it was the single best mod I made on that bike, it ran like a brand new bike! And found power like you read about! You really can't go wrong! Of course you could take that 2400.00 with your bike and trade it in on a 09+ , something to think about, IMO really no matter what you do short of a new motor and tranny, will not even compare to a 09+ with a stage 1 with cams.
i agree completely, all the way around. the new ones are dynamite! i, have a personal problem with The Motor Company, and although i dont want to give them any money on a new bike, i dont wanna ride anything else..... kinda stuck on that one..... but, the marelli conversion is awesome. i have two friends that have both upgraded their old Marelli systems, after seeing how smooth and powerful my 04 with Zippers Thundermax and Auto tune was in comparison to theirs. they have both vouched for it to everyone they come across. Zippers make some quality stuff. my 2000 King was a carb, and i took all the Zippers stuff off of my 04, and converted it to a fuelie.

Old 12-09-2010, 07:01 AM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,735 Likes on 1,553 Posts

I would consider putting on the pipes only. No tuner or high flow air cleaner.
I've seen people do it and be fine. Run it for awhile and if it ended up running bad or super hot then I would consider a 1800 dollar tuner deal. That a ton of money man for what is going to be little gain.
Yes, you'll get a little performance increase doing it all at once but it is hardly worth that kinda money. My opinion.

lp

Last edited by lp; 12-09-2010 at 07:03 AM.
Old 12-09-2010, 08:58 AM
JIMSFBL
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I may end up being a mechanic when u guys a finished with me lol! I will go back and get complete info on exactly what he was going to install now that I know what to ask for, thanks to all of you. Drew I will probably PM u for pricing on this stuff, but if it's true that he is only charging about $200 labor than he can do it. I'll gather all the info and prices and decide what I'm going to do and I won't do anything till after christmas anyway. Talk to you soon and thanks everyone, very helpful!

Old 12-09-2010, 09:02 AM
JIMSFBL
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lp
I would consider putting on the pipes only. No tuner or high flow air cleaner.
I've seen people do it and be fine. Run it for awhile and if it ended up running bad or super hot then I would consider a 1800 dollar tuner deal. That a ton of money man for what is going to be little gain.
Yes, you'll get a little performance increase doing it all at once but it is hardly worth that kinda money. My opinion.

lp
That gives me something to think about, i was under the impression that u had to get the tuner for omptimum performance. (sorry, I'm getting skooled as we go here).

Old 12-09-2010, 10:05 AM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by JIMSFBL
That gives me something to think about, i was under the impression that u had to get the tuner for omptimum performance. (sorry, I'm getting skooled as we go here).
+1 on putting the exhaust on yourself, without a tuner. If you have a 2001 it should run fine. I put a Fat Cat on my bike, a couple of years ago. The hardest part,for me, was pushing the exhaust gaskets into place.
I assembled the pieces, on the floor and found the heat shields were about 3/16" too far forward and didn't cover the weld at the collector.
I loosened the clamps and tapped the shields aft, then everything fit perfect. I wouldn't have been able to do this once the pipes were installed.
The main thing on the install, when tightening everything up is to start aft and work forward. Sounds backwards, but that is the correct way.
Tom

Old 12-09-2010, 10:10 AM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

For a fatcat use the s/e or james copper thin gaskets...Much easier to push into place and easier to get the pipe on as well. this is what D&D recommends.

Old 12-09-2010, 10:17 AM
lschultz
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is to much. I 'm sure you could get some good ole Texas boys to help you. You do have friends don't you? Ain't nothing to it just take your time. Got any questions just get on here and ask. The boys at DrVTwin can walk you through it and they got good prices on the parts and you get em fast. Where bouts in Texas are you? I am in Central Texas about 70 miles south of Austin.

Old 12-09-2010, 10:23 AM
Garcou
Club Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ya know, if you are not having any problems with the mag marelli system, the teclusion TFI system was popular back in 2001 and worked quite well for a
Pipe change, you could find one on eBay for less than a hundred bucks, if I remember right it's like a 2 or 3 wire install.

Old 12-09-2010, 11:28 AM
hydrolock43
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Exhaust install

Originally Posted by tmitchellof PG
+1 on putting the exhaust on yourself, without a tuner. If you have a 2001 it should run fine. I put a Fat Cat on my bike, a couple of years ago. The hardest part,for me, was pushing the exhaust gaskets into place.
I assembled the pieces, on the floor and found the heat shields were about 3/16" too far forward and didn't cover the weld at the collector.
I loosened the clamps and tapped the shields aft, then everything fit perfect. I wouldn't have been able to do this once the pipes were installed.
The main thing on the install, when tightening everything up is to start aft and work forward. Sounds backwards, but that is the correct way.
Tom
Thats some bad info. You tighten the headpipe first and then work your way back on the HDs call D&D if you want the correct installation info.

Old 12-09-2010, 11:55 AM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

I just talked to zippers and if this includes the full MM conversion kit it is a screaming deal, but I am sure it does not.

Drew

Quick Reply: D&D exhaust and new computer fuel system installed for $2,400?