Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Low battery and no sound out of Radio

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 01:08 PM
rg_dave
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Low battery and no sound out of Radio

Last night my battery was low, could barely turn the bike over once, tried charging it and it won't take a charge. Bought a new battery today haven't put it in yet. Murphy's law, 2 months out of waranty. Weird thing was that the radio would turn on but I wouldn't get any sound. I have an Arc amp. Wondering if anyone else has seen this. The stereo played before it got low and I haven't had any problems with the battery up till now. We have had a few freezing nights lately. Just wondering before I pop the fairing cap.

Old 12-10-2010, 03:34 PM
SG Mike
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe you didn't have enough juice to power the amp? If you don't have one go get a battery tender, which will extend the life of your battery.

Old 12-10-2010, 03:41 PM
streetglide44
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't keep turning radio on with a low battery. Low voltage could damage amp. I had same problem last month, fried amp. I didn't think it would hurt amp, but audio store said it was possible. Either way it was a 300.00 mistake.

Old 12-11-2010, 05:22 AM
Iron Cross Audio
Former Sponsor
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

There is a possibility that installation of the new battery hit the radio's amp circuit with a voltage spike when you hooked up the positive side, but that's rare. Try giving Iron Cross Audio a call before you start chasing ghosts. They should be able to at least point you in the right direction.

Old 12-12-2010, 10:29 AM
rg_dave
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

I wound up getting power and getting the amp to turn on but it seems like there is a loose connection somewhere. The best I can describe it as is kind of rattle with the vibration of the bike until it went off. It played great until riding it. I should say that its been in the bike for about 18 months with no issues. I've had the fairing cap off too many times in the last few days. Sick of messing with it. Next weekend I am putting on my chrome front end and lowering kit so I'll pull it and check it out then. I am definitely going to try to check with the experts and see if I can get some help diagnosing it.