Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

string type vs mushroom tire repair

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2010, 12:13 AM
jvvjvv
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default string type vs mushroom tire repair

Time to get the bike ready for solo trips.

Last ride I was on, a buddy picked up a nail......one guy had a plug and another 3 co2's cartridges. They got him back on the road with a 1/2 inflated tire, but did make it to town.

Just read the searches on tire repair. Any one used both types........which is "best"?

Also 1st hand knowledge on which pump is the way to go.

Old 12-19-2010, 06:10 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

We always used the braided cord tire plug,with the two tools needed to insert them correctly.All very inexpensive way to fix a flat.Also used to use FixaFlat may not sell them anymore.

Old 12-19-2010, 06:16 AM
JayStronghawk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 279 Likes on 214 Posts

I use Stop & Go Pocket Tire Plugger and Have a Slime Compressor for pumping the Tire back up and don't have to worry about trying to fill the tire later on few gas stations have air any more and if they do they either charge or it is out of order .. So far not needed it on mine but have put a couple riding buds back on the road with it .. Stop & Go is a Mushroom style Plug and does a fine job..The Slime Compressor takes little space and pumps the tires up great

Old 12-19-2010, 06:26 AM
BirchwhiteHD
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I carry and have used the braided cord type plug,with the two tools to install the plugs,and i carry a Cycle Pump compressor,it is a quaility unit
http://www.bestrestproducts.com/c-13...bo-wgauge.aspx is what im carrying

Last edited by BirchwhiteHD; 12-19-2010 at 09:26 AM.
Old 12-19-2010, 07:23 AM
Peculierboy
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

+1 on the Stop & Go Tire plug. Easy to use on the side of the road. Used it once years ago with a buddy on a ride in SD, where we had the CO2 cartridges. Now I keep the kit (along with a pump) in my saddlebags for the same reason, the CO2 got the job done, but not really well.
I use an Airman Tour60 pump. Here is a review http://www.webbikeworld.com/r3/motor...irman-sparrow/ and you can get them for $25 on a number of web sites, http://www.sportchalet.com/product/302080_3042088.do
I have not used the pump on my bike for a flat, but, it's in the saddlebags 'just in case'

Old 12-19-2010, 08:23 AM
Jerry L
Road Warrior
Received 246 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by JayStronghawk
I use Stop & Go Pocket Tire Plugger and Have a Slime Compressor for pumping the Tire back up and don't have to worry about trying to fill the tire later on few gas stations have air any more and if they do they either charge or it is out of order .. So far not needed it on mine but have put a couple riding buds back on the road with it .. Stop & Go is a Mushroom style Plug and does a fine job..The Slime Compressor takes little space and pumps the tires up great
+2 for Stop & Go. I've got it and used it. Works great! I've also got the small Slime compressor that JayStronghawk has. I will say that I have also used the string type and like it except the rubber cement ALWAYS is bad or dried up when I go to use it. The S&G is a cleaner setup, no cement.
Jerry
BTW, the S&G comes in a real nice small zippered bag to keep all the stuff together in your saddlebag.

Old 12-19-2010, 08:41 AM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 316 Likes on 181 Posts

Slime compressor and braided core type plugs. Use to use a compressor that I removed the housing from (to make it smaller) and rubber cone shaped plugs with rubber cement.
Never had problems with any of them.

Old 12-19-2010, 10:23 AM
ks6c
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+3 on the Stop-n-Go and the Slime compressor, but read the directions carefully on the SnG. It's critical that you invert the mushroom plug in the insertion tool before plugging the tire because the plug will not pass through the hole otherwise. DAMHIK.

I have used both on the road and the strings go in a whole lot easier, but I prefer the concept of the mushroom plugs using the air pressure inside the tire to form a better seal - that and the fact they don't use any glue that has likely dried up (as someone else so wisely noted). I put 12,500 miles on the last rear tire after plugging.

Since that puncture, I've started using Ride On tire sealant but haven't put it to the test, yet - thankfully. http://www.ride-on.com/ Easily available on eBay.

Old 12-19-2010, 07:20 PM
jvvjvv
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey......thanks for the replys.........looks close to 50-50........would like a 90/10%........I just may carry both.

Old 12-20-2010, 01:37 AM
ronbeejer
Tourer
Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

After purchasing my '10 Ultra Classic and going with the "laced (spoked) wheels", I found out that there is an inner tube in both tires...
What can I do on the side of the road with a flat now...? Glad I purchased the flat tire roadside service/warranty. Do I have any other choices?

Quick Reply: string type vs mushroom tire repair