Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing a Garmin Zumo 660 GPS

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 07:35 AM
t059736
Road Captain
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Installing a Garmin Zumo 660 GPS

Good mornin', Guys.

Just looking for some information related to the installation of a Zumo 660 GPS.
I know that the cables are part of the "mounting hardware" but that's about it.
If some of you installation wizards have installed this unit on you scooter; would you mind giving me some pointers as to what needs to be done and the best way to do it.
Appreciate the advice, pictures and input.
TX
G

Old 11-24-2009, 08:52 AM
jackja25
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure what all you get with a 660. You should have a mount that you would normally mount on the left side. Run the power cord to the inside of the fairing and connect to the cig. lighter. The best site to goto for any zumo questions is
zumoforums.com

HTH

Old 11-24-2009, 09:21 AM
Jinks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

You'll have to select your mounting location & type of mount. After that it's pretty straight forward. I ran the wiring to the spare leads behind the headlight. They're hot when the ignition is on, so the Zumo comes on with your ignition. Others wire to the "Acc" switch, or straight to the battery. Choice is yours.

Old 11-24-2009, 08:45 PM
EasternSP
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 21,920 Likes on 8,432 Posts

I would recommend wiring it into a switched power source. There are at least a couple of unused plugs inside the fairing that you can tap into. Pretty straight forward. Run the MP3 plug up to your radio and learn how to operate your 660. You can find a few MP3 converters applications on the internet to convert other audio files to MP3 then put them onto your Zumo using the windows media player.
Your 660 should have a second mount for your car. The 660 will recognize each mount so you can program each one for how you want to have it play, I.E. audio level, screen brightness level and what you are driving. Setup the motorcycle mount with the motorcycle icon and the car with a car icon. You also have a pedestrian icon.

Old 11-24-2009, 09:15 PM
hogginit
Road Captain

And waterproof (seal) the USB cable end or the unit will report odd things when it gets wet.

Old 11-24-2009, 09:41 PM
davessworks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Take a look at the directions for the fairing mounts (see http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...6&default=none). I think this may shed some light on how to hook-up.

Old 11-24-2009, 11:12 PM
wannabe
Cruiser

sorry, I just hijacked computer from my wife, installation depends on what type of bike you have, i didn't see what you ride, not sure about fairing install, i put the 660 on her RKC and removed the seat and tank and ran the wiring harness inside the wiring housing and poked the headphone jack out next to the seat and left the usb and microphone jack hidden underneath, really didn't need those two plugs, power wires go directly to the battery, hope this helps.
wannabe's husband.

Old 03-01-2010, 01:05 PM
bamapvb
Stage II
Default Tank removal

Originally Posted by wannabe
sorry, I just hijacked computer from my wife, installation depends on what type of bike you have, i didn't see what you ride, not sure about fairing install, i put the 660 on her RKC and removed the seat and tank and ran the wiring harness inside the wiring housing and poked the headphone jack out next to the seat and left the usb and microphone jack hidden underneath, really didn't need those two plugs, power wires go directly to the battery, hope this helps.
wannabe's husband.
How difficult is it to remove the tank?

Old 05-08-2010, 01:31 PM
neteng
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no reply on tank removal....bump

Old 05-08-2010, 03:33 PM
motordad
Cruiser
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I have the Road Tech 660. Reading the instructions for the handlebar mount required the removal of the fuel tank. At my 1000 mile service on the 2010 Limited I had the dealer install it. 1 hour labor, $75.00 total.

Quick Reply: Installing a Garmin Zumo 660 GPS