Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it worth lowering front end for 21" wheel?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 11:03 AM
leohd
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

lowering will help looks and if your short but ride quality will suffer

Old 12-29-2010, 01:09 PM
Beach Bagger
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for all the input. I think for now I'm going to leave the front end at stock height. If I notice a dramatic difference in handling then I may lower it later. I think that I may like the look of the bike sitting back a little. It might make it look like a hot rod.

Old 12-29-2010, 01:51 PM
TexasSG
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Just and observation here (and I will be lowering mine 2" with a progressive monotube kit when my 21 goes on cuz it's cool). Mentioning sitting flat footed because your 6 foot whatever isn't helpful. Inseam measurement would be much more useful. I'm 6'0" and am far from flat footed thanks to my short legs. I only mention it because I read about seat height, etc all the time on this forum.

Old 12-29-2010, 03:56 PM
pit1600
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

have 1" reduced in front and SG shocks. It ride well and i love the look of a lowered bike.

Old 12-29-2010, 05:49 PM
Bgill
Road Master
Received 76 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by leohd
lowering will help looks and if your short but ride quality will suffer
My bike is lowered 1" front and rear and the ride quality is better then stock......please tell me what I'm missing?

Old 12-29-2010, 06:12 PM
ex ninjadude
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I want the 21-18 combo also. On my 2011 Street Glide. I was told by my local dealer, if I don't lower the front end. The wheel would rub inside the front fender.

Old 12-29-2010, 06:18 PM
Bgill
Road Master

Lowering the front end alone will not compensate for fender clearance.

You can raise the fender by drilling out (think oblong) the back bolt hole on each side and tilting the fender up from the rear anf tightening.

Another wise tale is to tape a 1/4" thick nut to the center of your new wheel/tire and spin it...it it rubs raise the fender as above, if it doesn't rub you should be ok.

Old 12-29-2010, 06:23 PM
TexasSG
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ex ninjadude
I want the 21-18 combo also. On my 2011 Street Glide. I was told by my local dealer, if I don't lower the front end. The wheel would rub inside the front fender.
Whomever said that is talking out their a$$. You may have to elongate the rear mounting holes and slightly tilt the fender forward to keep the tire from rubbing but that is not even related to lowering the front end.

Old 12-29-2010, 10:29 PM
Beach Bagger
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bgill
Lowering the front end alone will not compensate for fender clearance.

You can raise the fender by drilling out (think oblong) the back bolt hole on each side and tilting the fender up from the rear anf tightening.

Another wise tale is to tape a 1/4" thick nut to the center of your new wheel/tire and spin it...it it rubs raise the fender as above, if it doesn't rub you should be ok.
Since I've decided to not lower the front end on my bike this is the next thing on my list of things to worry about. I've also read that if you can tape a 1/4" thick nut to the inside of the front fender and spin the wheel without it touching then you should not have to modify the rear bolt holes. I guess that 1/4" is enough room to compensate for "tire sling" at speed. I'm wondering how often it is needed to drill out the holes and raise the fender. Knowing my luck I'll be one of those lucky people that has to drill out the bolt holes!

Old 12-29-2010, 11:05 PM
Bgill
Road Master

Originally Posted by Beach Bagger
Since I've decided to not lower the front end on my bike this is the next thing on my list of things to worry about. I've also read that if you can tape a 1/4" thick nut to the inside of the front fender and spin the wheel without it touching then you should not have to modify the rear bolt holes. I guess that 1/4" is enough room to compensate for "tire sling" at speed. I'm wondering how often it is needed to drill out the holes and raise the fender. Knowing my luck I'll be one of those lucky people that has to drill out the bolt holes!

You will want to tape the nut to the center of the tire and spin, you'll want to check that it clears the entire fender not just one spot where you affixed the nut.

I'd play it safe and go a head and raise the 1/4" or so fender a little to be on the safe side. Also ask the folks you buy your whell package from the should have experience in this area with your particular set-up.

Quick Reply: Is it worth lowering front end for 21" wheel?