Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flame Blue FLHTK inner fairing project completed

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2011, 10:39 AM
sgdiesel
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Flame Blue FLHTK inner fairing project completed

Finished painting and re-installing the inner fairing, delighted with the result. I will attach photo's to other inner fairing threads for completeness sake, but want to cover some of my experiences.

I went the 2 tone option, copying the concept I first saw posted by Dawg. Really happy with that option, personally I think it breaks it up nicely - just Blue would be too much and just Black seems too little, although some of the black ones posted do look the biz. I used 1/8" pinstripe / masking tape that was recommended by my local paint shop supplier. This tape is VERY flexible so getting the smooth lines was easy. It is also much thinner than normal masking tape so the step between the 2 colours is not particularely pronounced, especially once the clear lacquer coat was applied.

I decided to go for the fairing mount mirrors and decided to colour match them and paint them blue. With hindsight, I think this was a mistake. The area where the mirror needs to swivel to be adjusted cannot be painted, although I stupidly didn't think of that at the time so I needed to try scrape the paint off to get the adjustment to work. I would have been better off leaving them unpainted. Someone posted a pic of fairing mounted mirrors by Kury just recently and I think they look smart!

I removed the air temp gauge and machined up a facia for the Griffin iPod remote controller. I am VERY happy with this mod - I will post details seperately to facilitate a search.

I did the mod to the HK headset to bring the Aux out through the back - very happy with the way that all worked out.

Lined the outer fairing with Datamat and replaced the front speakers with JL C2 speakers (we don't have ready access to the aftermarket speakers in the UK, apart from the HD Boom). Difficult to tell for sure exactly what improvement there is in sound quality at this stage as I will need to ride a bit to know for sure, but there is defintely a significant improvement.

Soldered a flying lead to the Acc switch whilst I was in there and terminated that in a Deutz connector in the fairing - never know when I may need that in future.

I should have masked off the area where the ignition label sits under the ignition switch. With the added thickness of paint on there the label doesn't quite sit perfectly flat anymore. Reluctant to bond it down at this stage but may do this some time.

Attached Thumbnails Flame Blue FLHTK inner fairing project completed-dscn2850.jpg   Flame Blue FLHTK inner fairing project completed-dscn2851.jpg   Flame Blue FLHTK inner fairing project completed-dscn2852.jpg   Flame Blue FLHTK inner fairing project completed-dscn2853.jpg   Flame Blue FLHTK inner fairing project completed-dscn2854.jpg  

Old 01-01-2011, 11:00 AM
Bushrider
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nicely done. I'll be playing around with something similar when I get all my motor work (cams, heads) finished.

Old 01-01-2011, 11:09 AM
badknees
Road Master

Looks good. Must have been a really time consuming project but worth it.

Old 01-01-2011, 11:10 AM
07FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Looks Great! Nice write-up. Congrats!!

Old 01-01-2011, 11:19 AM
MasterGuns(Ret)
Advanced

That ipod remote looks really sharp.

Old 01-01-2011, 11:19 AM
MSgt Rose
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice job!, I like the two tone.

Old 01-01-2011, 12:11 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,021 Likes on 1,739 Posts

Looking good

Old 01-01-2011, 07:34 PM
jimsuver
Supporter
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Very Nice! Your ignition label looks like it fits fine. Cool light switch, over here they say spot.

Old 01-01-2011, 07:57 PM
Topcop
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks really good to me!!! That two tone hits the nail right on the head. I think the solid blue would be too much for my taste. Good Job !!! Happy trails...

Old 01-01-2011, 08:19 PM
djaudette
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great job. How hard was it to take the inner fairing off. Getting ready to have mine painted

Quick Reply: Flame Blue FLHTK inner fairing project completed