Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Motor Mount on 2009 Street Glide

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 11:15 PM
HardyHarHarley
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Rear Motor Mount on 2009 Street Glide

I am trying to find the cause of a vibration I'm having on my 2009 Street Glide. I can feel it most through my feet on the floorboards...especially when I place my left heel against the shifter shaft.

I want to make sure the motor mounts are tight. I've been able to visually locate and check the two front mounts and of course the shaft connecting the front cylinder head to the frame.

But I can't not figure out where the rear mount is located. Can someone guide me through what I need to remove to be able to access both ends of the mounting bolt. I want to check it for tightness.

Thanks,
Jim

Old 01-21-2011, 07:10 AM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,969 Likes on 1,718 Posts

Section 1.24 on page 1-55 of your 2009 touring service manual will tell you.

Attached Thumbnails Rear Motor Mount on 2009 Street Glide-mounts.jpg  
Old 01-21-2011, 08:23 AM
modes
Road Master
Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by HardyHarHarley
. I've been able to visually locate and check the two front mounts and of course the shaft connecting the front cylinder head to the frame.
Di you just check the tightness on the mount mount bolts, or did you watch it while it was running? When mine had a good vibration like you speak it turn out the front rubber mount was bad. At idle I watched the mount it is seemed to be "jumping" more than I thought was necessary. I was correct. When I pulled it out, then rubber was cracked in a circle on the bottom side. If you only check the bolts for tight, then you may want to observe what it does while running at idle in your driveway.

Adam

Old 01-21-2011, 11:13 PM
HardyHarHarley
Tourer

Thanks to both of you for your input.

Jim

Old 01-22-2011, 12:49 AM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

with your bike being an 09, it should still be under warranty. have you considered taking it in to harley and let them address the issue and get it right? just a thought.

Old 01-22-2011, 12:55 AM
jjnoble
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dawg
Section 1.24 on page 1-55 of your 2009 touring service manual will tell you.
I don't want to highjack this thread, but I have a quick question.

The rod that bolts 1 and 2 go through, that is the adjuster for alignment right? I looked at mine and there is no adjuster nut on it, the thing is solid, how do you adjust the alignment?

Sorry HardyHarHarley, back to you.

Last edited by jjnoble; 01-22-2011 at 12:57 AM.
Old 01-22-2011, 03:08 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by jjnoble
I don't want to highjack this thread, but I have a quick question.

The rod that bolts 1 and 2 go through, that is the adjuster for alignment right? I looked at mine and there is no adjuster nut on it, the thing is solid, how do you adjust the alignment?

Sorry HardyHarHarley, back to you.
That page shows the rear frame, not the rear engine mounts. They are down with the swingarm pivot, behind the rear passenger footboard/peg mounts.

HardyHarHarley, you really should get your own copy of the factory service manual! It is just great for those sleepless nights - and answering these sorts of question! (I have an earlier bike so can't give you a better reply)

Old 01-22-2011, 04:17 PM
Stone1
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it is any help, we had the dealer look at the wife's 09 Street Glide twice before they figured out the rear mount was not seated properly. What ever they did made a great improvement but it still seems to buzz more the my 09 Ultra did.

Old 01-23-2011, 12:58 PM
HardyHarHarley
Tourer

Originally Posted by grbrown
That page shows the rear frame, not the rear engine mounts. They are down with the swingarm pivot, behind the rear passenger footboard/peg mounts.

HardyHarHarley, you really should get your own copy of the factory service manual! It is just great for those sleepless nights - and answering these sorts of question! (I have an earlier bike so can't give you a better reply)
I have the service maintenance manual. I've searched it cover to cover to find a picture showing exactly where the rear of the engine attaches to the frame. And unless I have missed something, I don't find a picture nor a description in the manual.

That is why I posted the question on the forum to begin with....thank you very much.

Your description of the location is exactly where I have been looking. But all I see is the swing -arm pivot and where the passenger footrests attach. I do not see where the rear of the engine fastens to the frame.

I'll take it to the dealer and ask them.

Thanks,
Jim

Old 01-23-2011, 01:27 PM
Guntoter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by HardyHarHarley
I have the service maintenance manual. I've searched it cover to cover to find a picture showing exactly where the rear of the engine attaches to the frame. And unless I have missed something, I don't find a picture nor a description in the manual.

That is why I posted the question on the forum to begin with....thank you very much.

Your description of the location is exactly where I have been looking. But all I see is the swing -arm pivot and where the passenger footrests attach. I do not see where the rear of the engine fastens to the frame.

I'll take it to the dealer and ask them.

Thanks,
Jim
The swingarm pivot shaft IS the rear motor mount. It has rubber bushings to help absorb vibration.

Quick Reply: Rear Motor Mount on 2009 Street Glide