Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone had thumb surgery on their clutch hand?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 04:22 PM
harris48cars
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone had thumb surgery on their clutch hand?

If not, I hope you never do. I had surgery, "CMC joint disorder" on my left hand. I thought I would only be down for 2 or 3 months tops. Yesterday I visited my doctor (The surgery was done December 10) for a follow up. I can see or should I say feel there is little improvement in my thumb. I started physical therapy last week and the therapist told me not to worry that time is required to heal. Anyway the doctor told me I may be looking at 6/8 months before riding a Motorcycle. I'm depressed. I have a brand new CVO SG sitting in the garage and my CVO Fat Bob is almost done with winter modifications. I guess I should have asked more questions. The surgery had to be done but if I had known I would have done it earlier so as to save some riding time.
Question: Are there any ideas here of how you might work a clutch without taxing your thumb? I've actually found a couple of places that make clutches that are much easier to pull than a stock hydraulic one. If anyone knows of a product or technique, I'm all ears.
Gary

Old 01-28-2011, 04:29 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

Get a foot clutch. I run one...

Old 01-28-2011, 05:25 PM
Big_Al47
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 93 Likes on 40 Posts

Broke my left thumb playing hockey a few years back. Luckily it's all healed up and doesn't bother me when using the clutch, unless I'm in stop & go traffic for a long time. It actually hurts more when playing guitar for over an hour or so.

Hang in there man!

Old 01-28-2011, 07:59 PM
harris48cars
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DR. V-TWIN
Get a foot clutch. I run one...
Can you enlighten me more DR.
Gary

Old 01-28-2011, 08:32 PM
98Ultra
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Broke my thumb in a motorcycle accident 28 Oct 2009.(among other things) Had a pin in it to get it to heal in the correct posistion. Works pretty good so far. Gets a little sore riding in traffic. Part of the time I just had my palm against the hand grip and didn't use my thumb.
I also haven't ridden much more than 200 miles since New Years Eve.(first ride since accident) Most on my Ultra but maybe 40 on an old Ironhead.

Not real pretty;

Last edited by 98Ultra; 01-28-2011 at 08:38 PM.
Old 01-28-2011, 08:51 PM
fat_tony
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 168 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by harris48cars
If not, I hope you never do. I had surgery, "CMC joint disorder" on my left hand. I thought I would only be down for 2 or 3 months tops. Yesterday I visited my doctor (The surgery was done December 10) for a follow up. I can see or should I say feel there is little improvement in my thumb. I started physical therapy last week and the therapist told me not to worry that time is required to heal. Anyway the doctor told me I may be looking at 6/8 months before riding a Motorcycle. I'm depressed. I have a brand new CVO SG sitting in the garage and my CVO Fat Bob is almost done with winter modifications. I guess I should have asked more questions. The surgery had to be done but if I had known I would have done it earlier so as to save some riding time.
Question: Are there any ideas here of how you might work a clutch without taxing your thumb? I've actually found a couple of places that make clutches that are much easier to pull than a stock hydraulic one. If anyone knows of a product or technique, I'm all ears.
Gary
Get a scooter (no clutch) or a Honda motorcycle with their new automatic computer controlled clutch (eg. new VFR).

Old 01-28-2011, 08:59 PM
UPSGUY
Road Master
Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by 98Ultra
Broke my thumb in a motorcycle accident 28 Oct 2009.(among other things) Had a pin in it to get it to heal in the correct posistion. Works pretty good so far. Gets a little sore riding in traffic. Part of the time I just had my palm against the hand grip and didn't use my thumb.
I also haven't ridden much more than 200 miles since New Years Eve.(first ride since accident) Most on my Ultra but maybe 40 on an old Ironhead.

Not real pretty;

Been there and done that!!!!!!!!!! I cut my thumb 80% off in a work accident and 4 surgery's and 2 pins later it was fused at the second knuckle from the nail and I still have issues with the clutch 26 years later!!!

Old 01-28-2011, 09:08 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by harris48cars
Can you enlighten me more DR.
Gary
I run a foot clutch and a tank shifter by LaBriola machine. I have no problems with my thumbs, but it sure is fun...

Drew

Old 01-28-2011, 09:11 PM
98Ultra
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice scoot.

Old 01-28-2011, 09:25 PM
FXBadass
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Feel bad for your luck harris, and that's downright nasty 98ultra.

I know what you mean. Was unfortunate enought to smash my left index last June, and between the throbbing and painkillers, was out of commish on the bike for 2 weeks. I admit, it was hard to clutch without dumping it. I was facked the 1st few times out, could just barely stand it. After a week of that, broke a toe, and was on the bike the same day. I was pissed off enough for missing out on nice weather that I didn't care anymore.

Hope you guys get your thumbs up SOON!

Quick Reply: Anyone had thumb surgery on their clutch hand?