Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Making a lighter(weight) ultra ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 04:08 PM
MTGlide
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd be interested in seeing a list of 200 lbs worth of parts that you can remove. That's a lot of weight.

Old 01-30-2011, 04:35 PM
Tripleshot
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Having almost been sucked under the wheels of a big rig I was passing on yamaha virago 750, I'll gladly handle the weight of my UC. I have had the UC in 50+MPH crosswinds and still felt safe because the weight is planted. When riding my wideglide, the winds got so fierce here in Utah, it blew off the face shield on my 1/2 helmet. Winds get wicked at times here in the high desert. I'm sure Harley has that factored in on building touring bikes, and no matter what, the TC96 or larger motors handle the weight just fine......Even as I say that, I have cammed and piped my TC96 for more HP and torque, but at least I had a good base to start from.

Old 01-30-2011, 04:55 PM
103 sedona orange
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 190 Posts

Yes, I hear ya. I ride a 11 FLTRX 103 & before that a 07 FLHT STD. The Tour Pack is the main problem. Of course you know that. You can always remove the Tour Pack & install a rear rack & starp your stuff to that. That's what I did on my 07 & also my 11. Unless you want that new SG. I'll be 63yo next week & my legs just don't work that well.

Old 01-30-2011, 04:56 PM
ppilotmike
Road Captain
Received 106 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by MadScot
What I've done is made mine convertible. Make the tourpak and lowers detachable. Then you can remove or change any item you like such as saddlebag guards, seats, bumpers etc. The suspension could also be lowered like a Streetglide but that's not convertible.

I strip mine down for solo or round town riding. But I can put the comfort stuff back on for trips. It does make a difference with the weight and balance of the bike.
I will second this post, I do the same thing. I am curious as to how MadScot made the lowers "quick" detatchable. I still take mine off in the dead of summer but it is at least a thirty minute chore. To the OP try it I know just removing the tourpak makes a huge diff for me.

Old 01-30-2011, 05:10 PM
JC Turbo
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ppilotmike
I will second this post, I do the same thing. I am curious as to how MadScot made the lowers "quick" detatchable. I still take mine off in the dead of summer but it is at least a thirty minute chore. To the OP try it I know just removing the tourpak makes a huge diff for me.
HARLEY-DAVIDSON makes a quick detach kit for the lowers. They claim no tools are needed to remove the lowers with their kit installed. My Tour pak is also reachable and it makes a world of difference with it removed, the bike is actually much quicker!

Old 01-30-2011, 05:12 PM
JC Turbo
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ppilotmike
HARLEY-DAVIDSON makes a quick detach kit for the lowers. They claim no tools are needed to remove the lowers with their kit installed. My Tour pak is also detachable and it makes a world of difference with it removed, the bike is actually much quicker!

Old 01-30-2011, 05:23 PM
DTTJGlide
Stellar HDF Member
Received 238 Likes on 146 Posts

I'd like to see how you can take 200lbs off an Ultra, aSuperGlide weighs 676lbs, I guess if you want an Ultra without tour pak, saddle bags, & fairing you might get close to 200lbs. The weight up high is what makes the most difference, quick detach the tour pak & I doubt you'd notice much difference between yours & a SG.

Old 01-30-2011, 05:34 PM
Punjabi Rider
Grand HDF Member
Received 245 Likes on 194 Posts

I took off my wife's tour pack it made good difference any weight reduction on the bottom is unnoticeable and keeping couple gallons less fuel in the tank is also noticeable just have to refuel more often.You might want to lower the bike to have little more sure footed in iffy conditions.

Old 01-30-2011, 05:37 PM
Theakerr
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone knows what a tour pak weighs on a 2003. Like the intiator of the thread I am very interested in reducing weight. I have no problems once I get moving but I am starting to find parking lot type handling a bit of a problem

Old 01-30-2011, 05:45 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by legendzzz
I am getting a little older every day and the weight on my Ultra is always making me think of getting rid of my bike for a lighter (SG) ?
Has anyone thought of ways to make the 930 lb monster lighter? I mean has anyone tried to get the weight off by buying Carbon Slip-Ons or take off chrome items and put on plastic items in their place ? Is it even worth it to try or just buy the lighter Tourer.
Or maybe I am just a MAD SCIENTIST , I do come from the 60's , LOL!
Thanks for your answers in advance
You and I are sick! I have been thinking the same thing, Chromoly Frame and swing arm, carbon fiber body work, all painted stock HD colors and High HP(maybe a big inch sporty) just for grins.

Quick Reply: Making a lighter(weight) ultra ?