Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Making a lighter(weight) ultra ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 10:03 PM
legendzzz
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Making a lighter(weight) ultra ?

I am getting a little older every day and the weight on my Ultra is always making me think of getting rid of my bike for a lighter (SG) ?
Has anyone thought of ways to make the 930 lb monster lighter? I mean has anyone tried to get the weight off by buying Carbon Slip-Ons or take off chrome items and put on plastic items in their place ? Is it even worth it to try or just buy the lighter Tourer.
Or maybe I am just a MAD SCIENTIST , I do come from the 60's , LOL!
Thanks for your answers in advance

Old 01-29-2011, 10:09 PM
byersmtrco
Supporter
Received 492 Likes on 343 Posts

They are a little top heavy huh? Plus the overal weight.

StreetGlide lighter (no tour pack) and lower slung w/shorter shocks, but doesn't ride as nice.

Maybe a Heritage w/air ride and a tour pack. They are lighter AND lower. You will sacrifice the ride quality.

Old 01-29-2011, 10:21 PM
MadScot
Cruiser

What I've done is made mine convertible. Make the tourpak and lowers detachable. Then you can remove or change any item you like such as saddlebag guards, seats, bumpers etc. The suspension could also be lowered like a Streetglide but that's not convertible.

I strip mine down for solo or round town riding. But I can put the comfort stuff back on for trips. It does make a difference with the weight and balance of the bike.

Old 01-29-2011, 10:32 PM
BadPiggy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Sell your lowers and tour pack.
Instant Street Glide.

(BTW...I'm looking for a set of vented fairing lowers)

Old 01-30-2011, 01:11 PM
legendzzz
Road Master

Thanks for all Ideas, and that private message was an EYE opener on how to REALLY take things off and lower the weight by 200lbs. . ? I still think that it may be possible but I may change the bike so much it would not be a ULTRA , any more , LOL! Thanks for All answers .

Old 01-30-2011, 01:30 PM
beary
Grand HDF Member
Received 282 Likes on 187 Posts

Being an Aeronautical Engineer,I'm always thinking about loosing weight. I have been surprised that we haven't seen more carbon fiber fairings, saddlebags and tour pack. Even a carbonfiber seatpan would help. Of course taking off the chrome saddle bag guards and chrome fender bumpers will take off a bit of fat. .

Geary

Old 01-30-2011, 01:49 PM
legendzzz
Road Master

What alot of people do not realize is that you lose weight and you get HP , Everyone on here is putting on A/C , PCV, Slip-ons, Cams ETC. Well if you lower your bikes weight by 50lbs-150 lbs you are getting a Ton of HP and a bike that will handle. I mean you as an engineer must look into this if you are trying to make any thing more efficent? Hey how about 65 MPG or cutting down the apex into corners? I think you can gain so much with a lighter bike? I do wonder why they have not used lighter materials on the Bikes and the only reason I can think of is it must be cost ?
Why not make a LIGHTER ULTRA/SG ?
So I would like some ideas of what people have been doing themselves to lighten the load ? Thanks Again

Old 01-30-2011, 01:56 PM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 313 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by legendzzz
Thanks for all Ideas, and that private message was an EYE opener on how to REALLY take things off and lower the weight by 200lbs. . ? I still think that it may be possible but I may change the bike so much it would not be a ULTRA , any more , LOL! Thanks for All answers .
Lower the weight by 200 lbs? I didn't think there was that big of a difference.

Maybe add more weight down low to move the center of gravity down thus making it feel lighter.

Old 01-30-2011, 02:11 PM
ChristoHD
Road Warrior
Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Ride a Yamaha RSV for ten years - my 09 HD UC feels like a Schwinn 10 speed bike for me. ;-)

I was impressed last year when I first rode an Ultra, I could not believe as to how light and nimble it felt for me. Great center of gravity and not top heavy.

If you do a lot of around town driving - the ideas from some of the guys of making yours a convertible are good ones.

Long-distance riding you never feel the weight much anyway.

Or if you no longer take long trips - maybe it is time to downsize?

Last edited by ChristoHD; 01-30-2011 at 02:31 PM.
Old 01-30-2011, 02:23 PM
legendzzz
Road Master

I have thought about that too, I wish I can find that E mail that someone on this site sent me today. He really broke it down as to dropping weight off the ULTRA and he weighed it out and it weighed 690 lbs,
I know they weigh close to 900 lbs , so as amazing as it sounds he dropped about 200 lbs off? Who ever wrote me please send it again as I can not find it on my PM ? Sorry.
I would rather keep the ULTRA and drop a few pounds off her.
Taking off weight also is a safety help, you know 900lbs rolling down the Highway and someone cuts in front of you UGH!! Slam on those brakes, well 900 lbs is harder to stop then say 700 lbs ?? It does not matter to alot of people but like I have pointed out in this thread there are alot of advantages to having a lighter bike ALOT! But I do not want to change it - just weight. So keep those ideas coming, this Forum has a TON of knowledge and those ideas help alot of people besides me , Thanks

Quick Reply: Making a lighter(weight) ultra ?