Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD Crash bar mounted fog light, review & install???'s

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 05:36 AM
Afishinado
Road Master
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts
Default HD Crash bar mounted fog light, review & install???'s

Looking at adding some light to my RK Custom. Only ones I have found that look corrrect are the Harley ones 68913-98C

Do you have them? Like them? Can I use one of the unused switches on the tree or does the switch that comes with it in the kit have to be used, if so where does it mount? EZ install or shop?

Old 02-01-2011, 06:13 AM
strtarrow
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Tagging this as I want a set myself. May have to ditch the mustache bar and go back to stock but I am okay with that.

Old 02-01-2011, 06:25 AM
EasternSP
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 21,956 Likes on 8,441 Posts

I installed them on my RG. They provide the close in light as well as light up the sides of the road were it is normally dark. The kit comes with a push button toggle, push for on, push again for off. The toggle mounts on the inboard side of the left grip. One of the leads of the kit has to be routed back to the battery compartment and is plugged into an auxilary plug for the power. The lights can be turned on with the low beam head light and go off automatically when you go to high beam.
The bulbs are H3s and can be replaced with the Silver Star halogens for a little bit more output. I couldn't find HID replacements to go with my HID head lights.

I think its a good addition to the bike for lighting. Easy to install, even if you run the wires internal to the crash bar. I used black duct tape to cover a part of the wiring that goes from the top of the steering neck to the bottom for the link to the crash bar, other wise you have a wire that just kinda flops around, out of place.

Last edited by EasternSP; 02-01-2011 at 06:29 AM.
Old 02-01-2011, 07:24 AM
dbell66253
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a 2010 Roadglide and have the HD lights installed. I did my install a little bit different, I want to be able to keep them on even with high beams. I ran the wires through the crash bars also. Intead of using the included switch, I bought a switch from kuryakyn that mounts in my dash, able to control two things with one switch.
The lights are good for lighting up the sides of the road and grabbing more attention in the day, I also have HID's for headlights so the driving lights don't give me any added distance.

Old 02-01-2011, 09:23 AM
08ultraglide
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by strtarrow
Tagging this as I want a set myself. May have to ditch the mustache bar and go back to stock but I am okay with that.
No need to ditch your bar, I have them mounted on mine but you need to take off the rubber foot rest that I never used.

Old 02-01-2011, 10:33 AM
monumaker
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

U got a pic of this?

Originally Posted by 08ultraglide
No need to ditch your bar, I have them mounted on mine but you need to take off the rubber foot rest that I never used.

Old 02-01-2011, 11:05 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

I had the HD fog lamps on my bike for 4 years and removed them when I installed fairing lowers. Consider them to be the best value in lighting available for daytime conspicuity, plus they provide a lot of lateral light that's useful on two lane roads at night.

As for the installation, the wiring harness and instructions provide for the main power wires to be routed to the battery so that means at least raising the tank to run the wires under it. The on/off switch is a low amperage switch that activates a relay in the circuit.

The on/off switch can be wired to the accessory switch and others have done this.

Carl

Old 02-01-2011, 11:35 AM
08ultraglide
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by monumaker
U got a pic of this?
Sure but you can't copy me....

Not smoke, it's was 30 that day.

Attached Thumbnails HD Crash bar mounted fog light, review & install???'s-800-600-front.jpg  
Old 02-01-2011, 11:40 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

I fitted them last year to my 1990 FLHS. Straight-forward enough, although it involved cutting off the connectors the kit came with, also I used a toggle switch to match my old ones.

Old 02-01-2011, 11:44 AM
harley-jones
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have them and like em! I ran the wires inside the crash bar and mounted the switch on the dash.

Quick Reply: HD Crash bar mounted fog light, review & install???'s