Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

At what age would u take the kids

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2011, 04:27 AM
Twinrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by dhincc
Probably they were about 2 or 3, but just for a short run around the neighborhood. Hell, I was already riding mini bikes and such when I was between 7 or 8. My younger brother started riding at the same time, so he was 5 or 6. He couldn't reach the ground so my dad would hold the bike up, he'd get on and take off. He'd ride back by and yell so somebody would grab it when he stopped. It didn't take long for him to get the hang of hopping on and off on his own. My first ride was, as stated earlier, on the tank of my dad's bike. Both of my parents rode and had their own scoots. Long time ago. The good old days ...

Ride safe!
This too!

Old 02-19-2011, 04:40 AM
Road Warrior
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
Thumbs up

first son 3 yrs old now he his 27 and rode 20,000 miles in a year on his bike
second son now 10 started
riding around 9 because dad did not have a bike. this summer he rode 5000 miles on the back of my bike and did not complain once in 14 days , me and the boys went to sturgis what a memory

Attached Thumbnails At what age would u take the kids-sturgis-1-014.jpg  
Old 02-19-2011, 05:28 AM
JakeInMa
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I think I took my son when he was about 5 or so and it paid off. He's had his own Sportster since he was 16 and loves riding as much as I do.

Old 02-19-2011, 06:35 AM
pnwlimited
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My daughter was 3 and she rode between me and my wife untill she was old enough to understand and hang on (5-6). after that, she would hear the bike light off, and be standing there with her lil helmet waiting for me to put the rear board down so she could climb on...(dirty face and all) she is now 25 and rides her own ninja with us... I know...but atleast she rides....

Old 02-19-2011, 06:48 AM
Cheech2010FLHTK
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DWhite
when they can put their foot flat on the rear floorboards and they have enough sense to not juke around in the back. For my daughter that was at 8 yrs old.
+1 My Youngest son didn't like being on the RK it was too loud for him but he finally got on the Ultra when I got it @10 he can now reach the floorboards and feels comfortable. Daughter was 10 when I got the RK and she would only go for short rides around town. My Oldest was riding with his step father on the back of his cbr @8. It all depends on how comfortable they are on the back. My nephew @6 wants me to take him for a ride this spring.

Old 02-19-2011, 06:49 AM
tshepherd
Advanced

My daughter started around the neighborhood a year or two ago, so 9-10. Was on my Fatboy with a very tiny sissy bar, so I didn't want to take her too far. Last year Mom started riding short distances on her own, so this year looking forward to some family rides. My girl was especially excited with my new Limited because "it has a huge backrest so I can be really comfortable and SPEAKERS!" Love it....

Old 02-19-2011, 06:59 AM
SugsPa
Road Master
Received 121 Likes on 56 Posts

I took my oldest son with me on my Kaw 500 when he was about 3. Put him between me and the fuel tank, got the smallest helmet I could find, which, was still a little too big, and we went riding. We lived in Arkansas at the time and had 100's of miles of empty rural roads to ride on. He's since been riding all his life. He was even a Motor Cop in Las Vegas for a while, till he transferred to another department. My youngest son could care less about anything with a motor. Things with motors sometimes make it more convienient than walking for him and sometimes you can mount a weapon on them (special forces). The only reason he wanted a driver's license is because a girl he worked with at Dairy Queen wouldn't go out with him unless he could drive. He was 18 then. I've taken my grandson with me at 6 years old. Put him on the back, slipped his helmet on, turned the intercom up so I can hear him well and he talks away while we ride. He loves to do the waving for me while we cruise down the Interstate.

SugsPa

Old 02-19-2011, 07:07 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,622 Posts

Both son & daughter started being passengers @ 10-yrs-old. Son got a dirtbike so he pretty much went off on his own, but my daughter still loves to venture out w/dad @ 13. Hoping to get her behind the bars someday so we can go side-by-side.

Old 02-19-2011, 08:06 AM
bobros
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just me but I won't put my kids on my bike. Too many ******* cagers and I can't replace the kids.

Old 02-19-2011, 08:40 AM
Flash62
Intermediate

My kids started riding at around age 8. The older daughter doesn't care for it now, but the younger one loves to jump on back every chance she gets. Now the younger daughter is talking about buying a Sportster of her own!

Quick Reply: At what age would u take the kids