Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

UPDATE - LED Head Light Comparison JW/HD & TL

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 11:15 PM
papifun
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

how do u know if u have the Phase 6 or Phase 5 ?

Old 07-16-2011, 12:51 AM
foundryratjim
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Earlier in this thread i have photos of the phase 6.

Old 07-16-2011, 11:08 AM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts

I just had the Harley version of the headlight and driving lamps installed on my bike. I can not believe how flipping bright they are. I had to spend some time aiming the things so I would not get flashed by every oncoming vehicle. Once they were dialed in right it is an amazing difference from the stock light.

Old 07-16-2011, 03:05 PM
FFeric
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I just installed the HD leds. I need to aim them yet. I cant wait to see the difference at night. I see a lot of deer on the way to work at night and I figured every bit helps. What sold me is how bright they look in the daylight.

Old 07-18-2011, 11:54 AM
bogiediver
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Once again - my notification of replies to this thread isn't working <head scratch> ...

@ tx-skydiver

The yellow look is with the lights off... when the lights are on, the light is a very bright white - no yellow then.

@ Heatwave
Can't imagine the LED would have any effect on the GDO. Same as replacing the stock light bulb. Unless the GDO works on a 'draw' amount. The LED will be drawing a bit less juice... about 35 watt equivalent draw on low beam, about 60 on high - versus 55 low and 65 high incandescent. Me thinks that's a different issue

@ papifun
Go back to the first page of this thread and click the link to the full review - there are pictures and a description of how to tell the difference.

Old 07-18-2011, 12:03 PM
bogiediver
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Score a FREE set of Truck-Lite LEDs

Just wanted to let those following this thread on the LED headlights and passing lamps know…

Truck-Lite is giving away a set of their LEDs (headlight and a pair of passing lamps) on their Facebook page. All you need to do is go to their page; ‘Like’ them; upload a picture of yourself on your bike, with an explanation of why you need better lighting. (REM: TL is the supplier to Kuryakyn). A great way to get into a set of LEDs...
(I am not associated with TL in any way other than I like their products).

I’d include which forum you saw this on to help promote the forum as well.

Let me know if you’re the lucky one…

Last edited by bogiediver; 07-18-2011 at 12:14 PM.
Old 07-18-2011, 12:27 PM
mmeddle1
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the Kuryakin Truck Lites and am really happy with how they light up the road at night. I was on the fence on which lights to buy. I liked the look of the Harley LEDs better, but noticed that they were not all that visible in the daylight to oncoming traffic like the Truck Lites were. I do most of my riding in the daylight hours, so this was a major factor in my decision to go with the Truck Lites. The Truck Lites give a bright white light, not yellow at all. They are not bad looking either. The headlight does protrude past the stock trim ring by over half an inch. I would recommend you buy the extended or frenched trim rings from HD for the headlight and passing lamps. They look pretty good and are not too expensive.

Attached Thumbnails UPDATE - LED Head Light Comparison JW/HD &amp; TL-60.jpg   UPDATE - LED Head Light Comparison JW/HD &amp; TL-61.jpg   UPDATE - LED Head Light Comparison JW/HD &amp; TL-62.jpg  
Old 07-19-2011, 08:56 PM
Garemlin
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

[quote=tx-skydiver;8562604]
Originally Posted by bogiediver
The 'yellow' look to the TL passing lamps is not the lens - it is the LED chips inside.

quote]

I may have seen this setup yesterday morning. There was a bagger that entered teh freeway at dawn behind me. His lights were definitely VERY noticable. One bright one in center flanked by yellow/amber passing lights. Definitely highly visable. I kept watching/admiring the setup in my rear-view mirror. I can only assume he has what you describe here.

When the TL passing lamps are on they are very white. In the daytime it you will see the eight distinct LED's in each lamp. At night it is just a wall of light. The only time you see the yellowish tint is when they are off.

Last edited by Garemlin; 07-19-2011 at 08:59 PM.
Old 08-05-2011, 09:45 PM
jpglide
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for putting the time into this bogie! You guys are making it possible for a lot of us to choose the best individual option...

Old 08-06-2011, 07:20 AM
Heatwave
Received 1,077 Likes on 638 Posts

Originally Posted by bogiediver
To clarify a couple of things...

Radio interference was not related to either the TL or JW/HD lights... that was related to the other LED array passing lamps.

The JW/HD passing lamps are not glass - they are polycarbonate (only the headlight is glass)

You should get more than a couple of years... if nothing else, they are warrantied for longer than that. They are rated at 10,000 hours - if you average 40 MPH - that's 400,000 miles - even if off by 50% - still 200,000 miles...

The TL polycarbonate is hardened - which is supposed to make it resistant to yellowing - but, I agree - only time will tell.

The 'yellow' look to the TL passing lamps is not the lens - it is the LED chips inside.

As we indicated in the write-up - much of the decision will be personal preference. While I agree the TL could match better - I think they look better than the JW/HD with their odd projector lenses with the D-lens on either side or the series of 3 D-lens of the passing lamps.

Performance is great with either - so much better than incandescent...
This is a good summary but one major decision factor (at least for me) was the very significant difference between the visibility of the HD projector lens LED and the Kury "flood" approach to their LED. If most of your riding is during the day I believe there is a safety factor that really can't be overlooked. The HD is simply invisible unless it is being viewed directly head on. In fact it is far less visible than even a stock halogen headlight during the daytime.

If safety and visibility is a major driving factor during daytime riding then the choice is actually quite easy. The Kury is a much "safer" headlight from a daytime visibility perspective to other vehicles.

Last edited by Heatwave; 08-06-2011 at 07:38 AM.

Quick Reply: UPDATE - LED Head Light Comparison JW/HD & TL