Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

UPDATE - LED Head Light Comparison JW/HD & TL

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 09:07 PM
cuervo_07
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by painey
Next major upgrade for me, every time I read threads here it costs me more money :-)

Old 02-23-2011, 11:36 PM
Intrepid175
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll echo everyone else. Very well done, Travis and Bogie. Thanks for the time and effort you both put into this, especially braving the outside temps you had to deal with.

Honestly, based on your first comparison, I much preferred the lighting distribution on the JW/HD unit vs the version 5 TL. However, the version 6 TL has really closed the gap on that. I still think the JW/HD system has a slight edge in the night time shots but not by much. At least not enough to justify the increase in cost if you're buying from HD and the JW/HD system is way off the mark during the day time shots so for me, it's become a no-brainer. I'm also very disappointed that HD isn't passing on the 4 year warranty that you get if you buy from JW. There just doesn't seem to be any reason to buy the light from HD directly, all things considered.

Looks like the decision is made for me. Only thing is, I just got through purchasing a significant suspension upgrade so my budget is tapped out for motorcycle related spending for a while, but it will come!

Thanks again guys & Ride Safe,
Steve R.

Last edited by Intrepid175; 02-23-2011 at 11:38 PM.
Old 02-24-2011, 12:56 AM
luisan
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 144 Likes on 82 Posts

T&B as usual you guys did a wonderful job.My only remaining doubt is about the fitment of the TL lights,do they protrude too much from the housing?Can you still use the original trim ring?Can you still install one of the various trim rings from the HD Trim Ring Collection?Thanks

Old 02-24-2011, 12:57 AM
stupid_rope
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Thanks for the review guys. I like the TL light patterns the best. Dad has the HD in his bike and I cannot stand the pattern or the hard line.

I will say however that the HD light is bright in the day. I could always distinguish his bike from other traffic in my mirrors

Old 02-24-2011, 08:37 AM
bogiediver
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by luisan
T&B as usual you guys did a wonderful job.My only remaining doubt is about the fitment of the TL lights,do they protrude too much from the housing?Can you still use the original trim ring?Can you still install one of the various trim rings from the HD Trim Ring Collection?Thanks
Regarding the TL headlight... the best way I can describe it:

The stock headlight and the JW/HD have a domed glass outer lens. The very center of those lenses protrudes X distance from where the 'three screw retaining ring' holds the light to the mounting ring. With the TL, the outer lens is flat and is X distance from the 'three screw retaining ring' for the entire diameter of the lense.

Now to answer your specific question - YES, the stock trim ring (actually called the 'headlight door' in the service manual) does fit. I also have the 'frenched look' trim ring which fits over the stock trim ring - YES, that also fits just fine. While I can't speak specifically to every flavor of trim ring offered, I think it is safe to believe they will fit.

Hope that helps.

Old 02-24-2011, 09:26 AM
papifun
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

does adding just the LED headlight require a load equalizer added ?
will it affect the stock HD alarm from going haywire ?

Old 02-24-2011, 09:47 AM
bogiediver
Cruiser

The headlight is not on the alarm/turn signal circuit, so doesn't mess with the alarm.

A load equalizer is only necessary when using LEDs for turn signals... the TSM/TSSM that controls the flash rate, auto shut off, alarm, etc expects a certain draw to determine the 'bulb' is functioning properly. The draw with LED turn signal inserts is low enough the system 'thinks' a bulb is burned out and flashes fast to notify you.

So no worries...

Papifun -

Just noticed you are in Canada... unfortunately - TL headlights are currently not available to be shipped to Canada - export restrictions... Not certain about the JW or HD branded lights, but I think there may be restrictions there as well... sorry...

Last edited by bogiediver; 02-24-2011 at 09:50 AM. Reason: Note regarding export restrictions
Old 02-24-2011, 11:45 AM
RabbitsHell
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bogiediver
Not certain about the JW or HD branded lights, but I think there may be restrictions there as well... sorry...
JW Speaker has both reps & distributors up in Canada that carry thier products (including the model 8700), so Canadian riders definitely have access to them. The best way to find out a local dealer (Canada or otherwise) is to contact them through thier website at: http://www.jwspeaker.com/contact/

Last edited by RabbitsHell; 02-24-2011 at 12:01 PM.
Old 02-25-2011, 01:41 PM
roadkinglobo
Supporter
Received 75 Likes on 57 Posts

Outstanding review guys. Your review couldn't have come at a better time - i'm heading to the USA on business and was hoping to find a set of LED at one of the dealers. Like Travis, IMHO i think I would opt for the JW/HD lights simply for the better night visibility. I have a set of Motolights on my FLHTK now and love them so they will hopefully make up for lost daytime "being seen". Thanks again Bogie and Travis - guys like you are what the Forum is all about - the sharing of information. Ride safe everyone!
Lobo

Old 02-25-2011, 01:50 PM
bogiediver
Cruiser

Anywhere in the Northern Illinois area? If so shoot a PM and we'll see if we can hook up to let you see the lights in person...

BTW - after Travis' last post, I looked a bit further and the JW literature says both the headlight and passing lamps are CMVSS 108 compliant (Canadian DOT equivalent).

-bogie

Quick Reply: UPDATE - LED Head Light Comparison JW/HD & TL