Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

UPDATE - LED Head Light Comparison JW/HD & TL

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 03:05 PM
joflewbyu2
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I beg to differ. I have the light and there is a big difference. I also have had a HD LED light too for comparison. The low beam stays on with the high beam as the HD LED does not. The low beam is 55 watts while the high beam is 65 watts. There is no diffuser in the bulb as H4 bulbs require as they share the same reflective optics with the high beam. See below for the HD description:
Dual Bulb Halogen Headlamp Kit

Featuring a higher wattage high beam and advanced reflector optics, this Dual Bulb Halogen Headlamp features separate bulbs for high and low beam functions. The euro-inspired projector beam styling combines a state-of-the-art look with a CAD designed faceted reflector bowl that is optimized for crisp patterns and light cut-off. The single upper bulb functions in low beam, and both upper and lower bulbs operate in high beam mode. The low beam setting produces a wide curb-to-curb light pattern, and the high beam adds focused light down the center of the lane without compromising width. Kit includes die-cast aluminum housing, 55-watt low beam halogen lamp, 65-watt high beam halogen lamp and all necessary mounting hardware. Does not meet ECE regulations.

This product is available in multiple variations. Be sure to look for the one that fits the specific model and year of your motorcycle.

IN-STORE PURCHASE ONLY Contact dealer for pricing and availability.

Fits '94-later Touring and Trike models (except Road GlideŽ), and '94-later FL SoftailŽ models equipped with the Chrome Headlamp Nacelle Kit P/N 67907-96C. Kit includes mounting ring assembly.

MSRP US $174.95

Link with Video:

http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_US

Old 03-05-2011, 03:24 PM
joflewbyu2
Road Master

Halogen 7" Round Motorcycle Headlamp

in
  • [*]

SKU: 459-8000
This 7” Round Motorcycle Headlamp from J.W. Speaker features separate bulbs for the hi beam and low beam. State-of-the-art reflector optics are utilized to produce twice the light output of standard lights. Kit includes waterproof headlight control module to adapt the headlamp to your current lighting system. Easily replaceable 1/4 turn bulbs. Meets FMVSS 108 Motorcycle headlamp for hi and low. Fits most 7” round headlamp housing. Slight modification of headlamp housing may be required on some models. Please specify your type of motorcycle.

459-8000 7” Round Headlamp

$150.00
HID 7" Round Motorcycle Headlamp

in
  • [*]

SKU: 459-8100
J.W. Speaker Corporation has developed a Xenon High Intensity Discharge (H.I.D.) headlamp with exceptional brightness and power. H.I.D. lighting provides unmatched lighting performance, greatly extended life and resistance to shock and vibration. Utilizing state-of-the-art reflector optics and a Xenon bulb, H.I.D. lighting offers 8-10 times the life of today’s conventional halogen lamps. In addition, the Xenon bulb has no filament so breakage from shock and vibration is eliminated. The Model 8100 HID headlamp has 1.2 million candle power and lights up the night with daylight color impression with four to five times more light than halogen lamps (at equal energy consumption). With Xenon, the entire illuminated area is larger and brighter. The clean, bright, white light emitted makes objects easier to see and more recognizable up to five miles. And it’s street legal, meeting FMVSS 108 Motorcycle specifications. Features separate bulbs for the high and low beam (low beam is HID and is constantly lit, high beam is halogen). Installation Kit includes waterproof headlamp control module to adapt to existing lighting system. Please specify your type of motorcycle.

459-8100 HID 7” Round Headlamp

$399.95

Old 03-05-2011, 04:21 PM
bogiediver
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The HD dual bulb you are referencing is obviously an updated version (as evidenced by the new format part number). What I had was two 35 watt bulbs, one on at a time on. In the video - I noticed there is a relay in the wiring of the headlight that wasn't on the one I had. So this is different than what I had...

The video is confusing to me... I'm assuming the first image on the street is supposed to be low beam. The second image, high beam. Yet, the color of the dash lights change (implying a different bike) and the high beam indicator never comes on (though, that may be because of the wiring modification). And the light pattern changes from low to high - if high is added to low, why does the low pattern seem to go away?

(The JW dual bulb you reference in the other post is basically the same as the HD dual bulb – based on halogen bulbs.)

Forget all that - if you open the HD dual bulb video in one window, then open the video for the HD LED headlight in another window (filmed on the same street, with the same ‘deer’ in the distance) –

(http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_US)

- you can compare for yourself. Stop the both videos when they are showing low beam halogen -- they show they are basically the same, then let the LED video progress and you’ll see the difference. Then do the same for high beam...

Factor in the similar performance of the LEDs in our comparison - I stand by my conclusion that either LED is far better than any halogen system, better on both settings.

As far as the JW H.I.D. – similar to the old HD version – low beam is H.I.D., high beam is halogen – and you have to find room for the ballast. Replacement burners are in the $200 range (granted, they don’t fail often, but…)

As we stated, it will come down to personal preference – we just hope our comparison sheds some light (pun intended) on the LED offerings available.

Personally, I’d be happy to expand the comparison if someone is willing to provide the other products to compare.

Old 03-06-2011, 04:09 AM
gbinman
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know if it's an issue with all HID lamps; but recently a friend with a bike with HID asked if my LED lights (TruckLite) generate static on the CB.

They don't... but his HID generates a lot of RF interference on his CB. He is planning to switch to LED.

Old 03-06-2011, 08:14 AM
Cheech2010FLHTK
Cruiser

Excellent write up and review. Just another item to add to the 2do list. Have you ever submitted any of your reviews to any magazines? if not you should

Old 03-06-2011, 10:11 AM
bogiediver
Cruiser

Actually, that's how I got started... I used to write product reviews for 'Biker Ally' magazine. Unfortunately, the mag succumed to the economy...

thanks for the compliment.

-bogie

Old 03-06-2011, 10:20 AM
joflewbyu2
Road Master
Default Back of the HD boxes with BEAM & INTENSITY pattern

Attached are the HD examples of 5 headlamps. Stock 5 3/4" versus LED 5 3/4". stock 7" versus LED 7" and the stock versus the Dual Lamp 7" Headlamp. Interesting info I thought I would share. My opinion after having both is that the dual bulb headlamp is the best deal. Aluminum housing compared to the stock plastic, dedicated bulbs and reflector optics that maximize beam patterns and bulbs which produce heat which eliminates moisture I had with the LED headlamp. Furthermore, the dual bulb headlamp has longer reach, better intensity and cheap replacement bulbs. Of course the color is amber halogen instead of pure white. Boxes below for other to make their own conclusion.

Attached Thumbnails UPDATE - LED Head Light Comparison JW/HD & TL-73273-11-5.75-led-headlamp.jpg   UPDATE - LED Head Light Comparison JW/HD & TL-67700032-dual-bulb-halogen-headlight.jpg   UPDATE - LED Head Light Comparison JW/HD & TL-67700040-7-led-headlamp.jpg  

Last edited by joflewbyu2; 03-06-2011 at 10:33 AM.
Old 03-06-2011, 11:20 AM
bogiediver
Cruiser

The high beam patterns are interesting... Wonder how the low beams look.

If the dual bulb works as described on high beam (the 55 watt low beam and the 65 watt high beam both on) it is drawing nearly 10 amps, versus 2.5 amps for the JW/HD LED or the 4.5 amps for the TL LED.

I again call attention to the HD videos of the dual bulb and LED - pattern be darned, the LED is much better.

I've attached some stills from the videos - judge for yourself (sorry 'bout the play arrow in the middle of the images, was just the easiest way to do it. Due to the small size allowed for attachments, I had to do it in two pieces. If anyone is interested, PM me and I'll send it to you as a single page PDF).

It will be preference and $$$ - but for my safety, LED is the way to go.

Attached Thumbnails UPDATE - LED Head Light Comparison JW/HD & TL-dual.jpg   UPDATE - LED Head Light Comparison JW/HD & TL-led.jpg  
Old 03-06-2011, 11:42 AM
joflewbyu2
Road Master

Love it. Great info and lots of work that will benefit many.

Old 03-06-2011, 12:55 PM
ThunderBueller
Road Master

Originally Posted by bogiediver
The high beam patterns are interesting... Wonder how the low beams look.

If the dual bulb works as described on high beam (the 55 watt low beam and the 65 watt high beam both on) it is drawing nearly 10 amps, versus 2.5 amps for the JW/HD LED or the 4.5 amps for the TL LED.

I again call attention to the HD videos of the dual bulb and LED - pattern be darned, the LED is much better.

I've attached some stills from the videos - judge for yourself (sorry 'bout the play arrow in the middle of the images, was just the easiest way to do it. Due to the small size allowed for attachments, I had to do it in two pieces. If anyone is interested, PM me and I'll send it to you as a single page PDF).

It will be preference and $$$ - but for my safety, LED is the way to go.
All I want to know is if you made any contacts with these mfg's that you could convince to produce a new Road Glide system to replace the less than adequate lights they're built with.

Quick Reply: UPDATE - LED Head Light Comparison JW/HD & TL