Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Progressive Monotube Install - Any Tips?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 11:03 PM
run1fsr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 44 Posts
Default Progressive Monotube Install - Any Tips?

Just ordered a set of chrome fork sliders and Progressive Monotube front suspension for my Ultra. Planning to do the installation myself. I have a HD service manual in addition to the instructions I will receive from Progressive. Not afraid of pulling this thing apart, but any helpful tips from you guys that have done this job before would be appreciated. Thanks

Old 02-28-2011, 11:52 PM
notrailers
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure if you have all the proper tools, but I did not have the tool that holds the fork legs in a vise so you can loosen and tighten the plug/bolt. I imprevised and dropped the fork legs down while in the tripple tree and tightened the triple tree to loosen the big plug on the top of the leg and repeated the possess to tighten it. It helps to have a good quality extended allen/socket to loosen the bolt that holds the internals into the lower leg. I needed an impact to loosen mine.

Old 03-01-2011, 06:45 AM
run1fsr
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by notrailers
Not sure if you have all the proper tools, but I did not have the tool that holds the fork legs in a vise so you can loosen and tighten the plug/bolt. I imprevised and dropped the fork legs down while in the tripple tree and tightened the triple tree to loosen the big plug on the top of the leg and repeated the possess to tighten it. It helps to have a good quality extended allen/socket to loosen the bolt that holds the internals into the lower leg. I needed an impact to loosen mine.
Thanks. I plan to trash the original parts, as everything going back will be new. So I'm not too concerned about damaging the existing pieces. I suspect that will make disassembly and installation somewhat easier ... correct?

Old 03-01-2011, 07:47 AM
notrailers
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you will be using your stock fork tubes. The internals will be replaced with the monotube and your lower fork legs will be replaced with the chrome ones.

Old 03-01-2011, 09:25 AM
run1fsr
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by notrailers
I think you will be using your stock fork tubes. The internals will be replaced with the monotube and your lower fork legs will be replaced with the chrome ones.
Okay / Thanks !!

Old 03-01-2011, 10:38 AM
modes
Road Master
Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Get a thick sturdy pick tool to get the wire retainers out on top of the seals. I think that took the most time for me even with a pick tool....stupid things. I think it was 1 1/2" diameter PVC pipe I used...anyways cut a 4-5" piece of pipe then cut in half lengthwise. Makes a excellent drift to tap new seals back into place. Be sure there is no weight on the fork (i.e. bike off the ground minimum) when you take that cap nut off. Be sure to put good pressure with your hand to catch it as there tends to be some pressure form the spring preload. Be sure to take note of the direction the seals are in so you can put the news ones in right side up.

Adam

Old 03-01-2011, 11:14 AM
run1fsr
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by modes
Get a thick sturdy pick tool to get the wire retainers out on top of the seals. I think that took the most time for me even with a pick tool....stupid things. I think it was 1 1/2" diameter PVC pipe I used...anyways cut a 4-5" piece of pipe then cut in half lengthwise. Makes a excellent drift to tap new seals back into place. Be sure there is no weight on the fork (i.e. bike off the ground minimum) when you take that cap nut off. Be sure to put good pressure with your hand to catch it as there tends to be some pressure form the spring preload. Be sure to take note of the direction the seals are in so you can put the news ones in right side up.

Adam
Good Info ... Thanks

Old 03-01-2011, 11:33 AM
TexasSG
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You have your monotubes???

I ordered a boat load of stuff from Eastern Perf and have yet to receive mine. Sooooo.. sitting in the garage, in boxes, are a set of Colorado Customs "Vegas" 21/17 wheels wrapped in Avon Cobras, 13" floating front rotor, 6 Piston PM caliper, American suspension smooth chrome lowers and some other crap I ordered almost two months ago! yet still NO monotubes. So I'm forced to ride around with my awesome tractor wheels.

Pvc pipe trick works well and yes, you will need an ext length allen socket. Might wanna whack the bolt head with a hardened drift once or twice before attempting removal just to shock it loose, I broke a Snap-On socket the last time I did that job!

Old 03-01-2011, 11:43 AM
run1fsr
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by TexasSG
You have your monotubes???

I ordered a boat load of stuff from Eastern Perf and have yet to receive mine. Sooooo.. sitting in the garage, in boxes, are a set of Colorado Customs "Vegas" 21/17 wheels wrapped in Avon Cobras, 13" floating front rotor, 6 Piston PM caliper, American suspension smooth chrome lowers and some other crap I ordered almost two months ago! yet still NO monotubes. So I'm forced to ride around with my awesome tractor wheels.

Pvc pipe trick works well and yes, you will need an ext length allen socket. Might wanna whack the bolt head with a hardened drift once or twice before attempting removal just to shock it loose, I broke a Snap-On socket the last time I did that job!
So an allen socket at the end of a long 3/8 drive extension will work?

Regarding Eastern Performance, I've always had good luck using them. But no, I did not buy the monotubes from Eastern.

Thanks

Old 03-01-2011, 12:13 PM
TexasSG
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by run1fsr
So an allen socket at the end of a long 3/8 drive extension will work?

Regarding Eastern Performance, I've always had good luck using them. But no, I did not buy the monotubes from Eastern.

Thanks
No, you'll need something like the socket in the attatched pic.

Eastern isn't the problem, Progressive has the monotubes on freakin back-order.

Attached Thumbnails Progressive Monotube Install - Any Tips?-21867.jpg  

Quick Reply: Progressive Monotube Install - Any Tips?