Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cams: nice lope good at high rpm bad lope good at low rpm, right?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 07:11 AM
Solitario
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default cams: nice lope good at high rpm bad lope good at low rpm, right?

I would like to buy cams for my stage 1 2009 rod king. I want a torque low mid cam like 255 but have heard some videos and iddle sound sucks. best iddle are 203 and 204 but they are more mid high cams. so...

are there any cams with a nice lope at iddle that pushes in the low mid range? I need to rise torque right where true duals falls down (2000 - 3000 rpm)

also, what spec do I have to look at to find out if a cam has a nice lope?

thank you

Old 03-22-2011, 07:22 AM
gregsdart
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lope is a combination of total duration, intake valve closing point, and overlap of intake and exhaust. A lot of overlap is due to a narrow lobe center, which also helps to boost low speed torque, but only above a certain rpm, say 2200 possibly with a torque cam. The more lope you get the higher the torque will come in.A rough guess for what you want would be a cam like a Woods 5 6?

Old 03-22-2011, 12:37 PM
Solitario
Tourer

thank you for your answerm I heard somewhere that a richer mix at iddle can modify someway the lope... what do you think?

Old 03-22-2011, 03:38 PM
ZZZCICI
Tourer

Originally Posted by Solitario
thank you for your answerm I heard somewhere that a richer mix at iddle can modify someway the lope... what do you think?
My opinion....is.... just get the equipment that offers the performance numbers that you are looking for and tune to optimum.

As for idle the phrase "tis waht it is" stands out here..

There is a long history of people installing too much cam in their bikes thinking it would run good and sound cool only to find out the bikes drivability was terrible. The same with playing with the mixture screws or idle adjustment. I saw a guy with a metric that set his idle as low as he could get it trying to replicate the harley sound.
Little did he know that his metric v twin needed to idle at higher rpms to maintain oil pressure, coolant circulation.

Old 03-22-2011, 09:45 PM
gregsdart
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Solitario
I would like to buy cams for my stage 1 2009 rod king. I want a torque low mid cam like 255 but have heard some videos and iddle sound sucks. best iddle are 203 and 204 but they are more mid high cams. so...

are there any cams with a nice lope at iddle that pushes in the low mid range? I need to rise torque right where true duals falls down (2000 - 3000 rpm)

also, what spec do I have to look at to find out if a cam has a nice lope?

thank you
If I wanted a hot sounding bike, my combo would go like this; go back to a 2/1/2 system for low speed torque. Figure out the smallest cam that will give me a sound I like. Get in touch with a well known tuner, discuss the situation and go from there. You can soften the loss of low speed torque by installing a 31 or 30 tooth front belt sprocket. It will raise rpm in all gears 3 percent for the 31 and 6 percent for the 30, but will get you away from a stop light better and get you into the torque band sooner.