Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Camping out of a bike

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 07:54 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,756 Likes on 1,565 Posts

Originally Posted by flatfifth2003
Three years ago I bought a cheapo Ozark Trail 3 man tent from walmart for 35$ plenty of room for 2 people my queen size air mattress pretty much takes up the floor space. It's been to Sturgis twice and held up when much more expensive tents blew away in the wind, I used it at least 4-5 times a year and it is still in good shape. I pack the poles and stakes in a saddlebag, and roll it up and tie it down with my sleeping bag on the luggage rack. This year I splurged and bought the 5 man model it only packs a little bit bigger and is 13'x10'x6'. 59.95$ I think http://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trai...-Tent/14089866
You're better off with your 2 person Ozark. I had the 13x10 for sturgis and it and about 3 others in the campground broke to pieces. The fiberglass poles...

I'm still looking for a better tent.

lp

Old 03-25-2011, 08:08 PM
Slip Kid
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 03-25-2011, 08:52 PM
pargenz
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by vtwinhd59
Anyone ever tried sleeping in out of these. Did it for 3 nights. Not fun. WAY TO SMALL. Anyone know of a good tent that fits on a bike. In a Saddle bag that doesn't take up much room. But.....IS way bigger than this thing.
I wholeheartedly recommend Tarptent. I use one on backpacking trips as well. I have the Cloudburst 2 model. Enough room inside for two plus gear. Setup is quick and easy. Weighs all of 38 ounces, and takes up little space in the saddlebag.

Old 03-25-2011, 09:15 PM
5 Speed Suicide
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

check out the Alps Mountaineering extreme 3..by far the best quality tent for the money..got mine from overstock.com..survived a hellish down pour in northern minnasota...tent didnt budge and not a drop of water got in

Old 03-26-2011, 08:42 AM
TxDeuce
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Spent ten nights last year at Sturgis in this Marmot Aura 2P tent. Was great with plenty of room for one and gear. Wouldn't recommend it below 40 degrees unless you have a good sleeping bag.

Attached Thumbnails Camping out of a bike-img_0496.jpg  
Old 03-26-2011, 10:00 AM
rizzo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,620 Likes on 2,094 Posts

The single bivys serve a purpose but try wiggling out of one after it's been raining. You'll be muddy, soaked and you won't be able to get rid of it fast enough. I like a tent with a vestibule so some of the gear can be stored out of the weather.

Old 03-26-2011, 11:56 AM
Nute
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Check this one out. No poles req'd and sets up in minutes.

http://www.airzonerecreation.com/tech/demo.htm

Old 03-26-2011, 02:39 PM
bmorebhoy
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Get off the ground!!
Get a hammock, much more comfortable and packable. So long as you have a couple of trees, (most Sturgis campgrounds don't have trees so check with the ground first).
As gacoptrainer said, hit hammockforums.com
I use a Warbonnet Blackbird with under quilt and a top quilt in the fall and winter. String it up with whoOpie strings and tree straps, use a warbonnet tarp for bad weather and it fits in a saddlebag.

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 03-26-2011, 04:13 PM
Sharknose
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have one of the walmart dome tents mentioned earlier...the queen size airbed takes up almost the whole floor which is fine as long as I sleep in the middle. I also have a 10 person Coleman for extended trips but that requires hauling in the trailer.

Old 03-26-2011, 05:34 PM
rmw
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Tents are like spouses, I like mine, you may hate her. Just figure out what you want out of a tent and visit one of the dozen or so tent review sites.

BTW, if you think sleeping on a solo bivy tent is bad, try being stuck in one for 3 days during a major ice storm.

Quick Reply: Camping out of a bike