Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear shock feedback

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 01:16 PM
Daddio
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rear shock feedback

Can anybody here give me some feedback on the HD hand adjustable rear shocks?
Are they worth the $$ compared to say Progessive 940 or 440 versions.

I am tired of these air shocks. I changed over to shorter street glide version HD air shocks and they they bottom out much more than i am willing to live with.
I weigh around 195 and my wife on the back adds another 110... so with over 300 lbs. pushing down on the frame I would like to find something more forgiving and less apt to bottom out all the time. I like the ride height better than the 13" shocks that came on the bike but even those bottomed out too much.

anyone who has the the hand crank HD shocks might post some info/feedback and give an opinion or two..

being that the HD hand adjustable and the progressive are in the same price range what would you choose?

Old 03-30-2011, 01:26 PM
R_W_B
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well never had any aftermarket shocks so someone else will have to help you on those. But as far as HD adjustable shocks I have them on my Street Bob and they work fine for me and my wife. I weigh 222lbs and she weighs 118lbs. We keep them 2 notches up from the bottom. Most folks like um a little further up than that, but we get a comfortable ride with 2 notches.

When you crank um up it only changes the tension on the spring not the shock height. But as a poster pointed out to me once, the less tension then the faster the same rider weight will depress the spring a bit more as you sit.

Old 03-30-2011, 01:28 PM
lostsstsol
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Daddio, I got an 06 SG and I had the same problem with bottoming out with the stock shocks. I personally weigh on at 250 and I ride with my girl and the tour pack a lot so I went with the progressive 440 heavy duty model. Personally I love em. I had the girl plus me plus camping gear and while bunch of sh*t up to Laconia last year and I never bottomed them once. You might not have to go with the heavy duty since they are for riders that weigh around 250 on their own but I can def recommend the progressive shocks. I've changed the shocks on both my bikes to progressives. But at the same time it can come down to personal preference. Hope my babbling helped!

Old 03-30-2011, 01:48 PM
pierre29
Advanced

Originally Posted by Daddio
Can anybody here give me some feedback on the HD hand adjustable rear shocks?
You're talking about the FLHX CVO shocks? I know a guy who bought a pair of these one month ago: there're out of order (loosing oil from the adjustment system) after only 1000 miles...
I've got 12"2 Ohlins on my bike: they're more expensive but I love them!

Old 03-30-2011, 01:57 PM
AK BAGGER
Road Captain

I rode those shocks on a 2010 CVO Street Glide last summer. I liked the way the suspension felt on that bike better than the stock set-up on my regular SG. The bike had a firmer ride overall (the CVO SG also uses heavier SE oil in the forks -vs- the regular SG) ...sportier I'd say but still comfortable for touring. I'm in at 225lbs and the Dude that owned the bike was maybe 175lbs, so the shocks weren't dialed-in for me, yet they never bottomed-out on me. I'm pretty tempted to buy them for my personnal ride. My only hesitation is I don't know how they will perform 2-up with stuffed saddle bags and a tour pak?

Old 03-30-2011, 02:42 PM
103 sedona orange
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 190 Posts

The thing I don't understand is that one shock you can adj. the compression & the other shock you can adj. the rebound. why not have both adjs on both shocks. Any one want to chime in?

Old 03-30-2011, 03:01 PM
dc1057
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have them and think they're 100% better than stock shocks. I'm 200 lbs and ride solo. Set at 1 notch. No bottoming or back breaking any longer. No experience with progressive shocks.

The left shock is an adjustible compression shock and the right is for rebound only. I've seen threads on this forum that state that the new HD shocks could twist the swing arm. I don't buy it.

If they're good enough for a $35K bike, they're good enough for me. All I know is the ride is like night and day.

Good luck!

Old 03-30-2011, 05:46 PM
Daddio
Tourer

Thanks for the good replies, fellas. From what i have picked up here, either setup will be a vast improvement over the showa air shocks.
I too had heard about some issues with the new HD setup. I guess ya spends yer money and ya takes yer chances.
I have spent money on two differant sets of shocks from Harley... which I sometimes get pissed off at myself for walking in the stealers and laying down so much $$ on trinkets and add-ons and swapped out parts...on top of the 26K the bike cost to begin with...
I guess I'll give the progressives a try...let somebody else get some of my hard earned bucks for a change...he-he.

Old 03-30-2011, 06:06 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by 103 sedona orange
The thing I don't understand is that one shock you can adj. the compression & the other shock you can adj. the rebound. why not have both adjs on both shocks. Any one want to chime in?
It's actually quite common on the high end forks to do this. It reduces the adjusting time and reduces mis-adjustments, 2 ***** doing 2 jobs vs 4 ***** doing 2 jobs.

Old 03-31-2011, 08:47 AM
lonerider2
Cruiser

I have a set of the Harley low shocks I'll sell half price, had them on for about 3000 miles on my 2009 Ultra, moved to NC last fall and find I need more ground clearance riding two up on all the twisties down here. Email me at rpvollbrecht@gmail.com

Quick Reply: Rear shock feedback