Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do Slip-ons really need power commander w/new air filter?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 04:08 PM
dhog
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do Slip-ons really need power commander w/new air filter?

I have an 09 Electra Glide Standard. I recently added Bassani Slip-ons to give my bike a better sound. A mechanic said my bike was running lean and suggested I get the Power Commander 3 and add a better air filter (about $600 installed for both). Should I add the PC3/air filter or is the bike fine as is? I have not noticed any decline in performance since I added the slip-ons, but want to make sure I am not harming the engine. Any advice?

Old 03-31-2011, 04:23 PM
07FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

If you only added slip-on's you should be OK. Check your plugs, see how they look. If you change (or have changed) to a freer flowing A/C you will need some type of fuel manager.

Old 03-31-2011, 05:05 PM
Gearhead3
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

IMHO, I think a stock bike (no mods) needs a tuner of some sort. These new bikes run LEAN (about 14.6/7:1) from the factory. Once you get the A/F ratio where it belongs, you'll notice a huge difference in the way the bike responds. Hell, mine felt "lazy" below 2500 RPM's when stock. After I did Fuel Moto's stage one, it really woke it up. It would run smoothly as low as 1500 RPM's (when trying to sneak home through the subdivision at night) and it actually felt like the throttle was connected to something. Find a bud who has a PC V and talk him into letting you install it on your bike for a few hours. You'll walk away a believer.

Last edited by Gearhead3; 03-31-2011 at 05:11 PM.
Old 03-31-2011, 05:10 PM
robbie52
Road Warrior
Received 138 Likes on 100 Posts

You do not need a Power Commander with just slip-ons, it will still run lean just like stock. I would recommend a high flow air cleaner and a PCV, just to get better response and the engine will run cooler.

Old 03-31-2011, 05:33 PM
seph10
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

from what I gathered from a few hours of research,,if you put on slip-ons up to 2" baffle,,you don't need fuel management,,,but if you go to a larger baffle,,yes you need fuel management,,and ANY time you put on a high flow air filter,,you will need fuel management,,

Old 03-31-2011, 05:51 PM
2WheelGlider
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Agree with most, fuel management not needed with slip on only. However, like most have done, contact Fuel Moto and get their a/c and PCV with a good map they can install before they send it and you will be happy with the results. Your bike will run cooler, and be more responsive, well worth the investment.

Old 03-31-2011, 06:22 PM
TickTock
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dhog
I have an 09 Electra Glide Standard. I recently added Bassani Slip-ons to give my bike a better sound. A mechanic said my bike was running lean and suggested I get the Power Commander 3 and add a better air filter (about $600 installed for both). Should I add the PC3/air filter or is the bike fine as is? I have not noticed any decline in performance since I added the slip-ons, but want to make sure I am not harming the engine. Any advice?
contact fuelmoto. They are a sponsor here on the forum. I bet they could get you an air cleaner with a PC for well under 600. More than likely they will also have a map that matches as well.

Old 03-31-2011, 06:28 PM
dhog
Advanced

thanks for all of the good advice. Be safe.

Old 03-31-2011, 06:33 PM
harleyiron80
Cruiser

like they said get ac and map

Old 03-31-2011, 06:44 PM
CigarCritic
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TickTock
contact fuelmoto. They are a sponsor here on the forum. I bet they could get you an air cleaner with a PC for well under 600. More than likely they will also have a map that matches as well.
+1

You are holding back a lot of power by not adding a PC-V and air filter.
http://www.fuelmotousa.com/

Quick Reply: Do Slip-ons really need power commander w/new air filter?