Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to your bagger today?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2012, 08:26 PM
Jswerve
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Pastor Ed
Yesterday I wore Cold Under Armor, long sleeve T-shirt, Polar Fleece Jacket, Leather Jacket, good gloves, jeans, chaps, non-insulated boots with heavy socks, 1/2 balaclava, and a modular helmet. And of course, heated grips and seat:-) I have the 10" Wind Splitter Windshield, it gives me a nice calm pocket to sit in. There was 9 of us on the annual "Day after Thanksgiving" HOG ride out of Holstein HD in Omaha. Hope to add a heated jacket liner and gloves next week and I picked up some flannel lined jeans today. It supposed to get cold around here in the next few weeks:-)
Now that's a TRUE rider. Congrats man that's nuts lol. I live in north central Iowa ( Fort Dodge ). I did ride mine to a buddies funeral today with just a hoodie, heavy leather jacket, beanie stocking cap, and medium gloves and I was COLD lol but sucked it up cause he was a great dude and loved to ride! I don't have all the proper gear nor the heated seats/grips or I could definitely see myself doing it. Perhaps as I acquire the gear!

Old 11-25-2012, 11:52 AM
Lastchance1
Stage IV
Default Winter is coming.

Nothing today but yesterday I rode my 94 Ultra 30 miles in high 30 degree weather. Put sea foam in the tank for the remaining fuel. Then rode the wife's 07 883 for the same and treated her fuel as well. We were supposed to get snow today but as of yet...none. Trying to get the bikes ready for winter.

Old 11-25-2012, 12:15 PM
Cep10SG
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just finished putting the tank back on after running wires for my rockford fosgate PBR 300x4 amp. I still have a few very minor things left to do but, 1. It's our Anniversary, 2. have Christmas lights to find and put them up, 3. maybe football today?... dam, you guys are making me think about getting snivel gear again for cold weather riding.... time to do some research again on what i want for Christmas.

Old 11-25-2012, 06:28 PM
FLGEEZ
Road Master
Thumbs down Baker Drivetrain Plus+1 oil pan

Broke mine recently. Stripped the tranny oil plug in my 1996 FLHTCI just before Veterans Day. Ordered a Baker Drivetrain Plus+1 oil pan as a replacement for my OEM 4 qt. My labor and $500.00 or back to the same with the 'drip in on the the intake' OEM pan for the same cost with their labor.
Little back ground. on my third engine. Orig OEM last to 55K till a bad trip across a Potomac River bridge and a thigh burning cage wreck burnt my OEM 'Buck and a piece' INA bearing. Local in DC said 'don't worry' about the OIL red light if you did not run it far. Same Local MD HD rebuilt mine to save money; $3500.00 without an oil pump and the lowest guy on the pole getting his practical factors on my bike.

Left me stranded in Branson, MO after 1100 miles. (not that it mattered to anyone else, but this was the week my Dad got his teminal Stage 4 diagnosis, and the delay to get back to INDY, get my trailer, return and get it back for a slap and tickle took a bit). The compensator nut jarred loose.... Local in Indianapolis dropped a Re man @ $4500.00 in and 22K later my plug did not survice my last attempt at self maintenance.

Now, a new Baker Plus+1 will give me the additional 1 qt, a better oil heat dispersion oil pick up spot, the chance to add the OIL TEMP guage to replace the 'Do you know how hot it is somewhere on the bike' guage.

Long story short... I really am dissapointed with the longevity of the HD product. We are invested to the tune of 3 HDs and seriously am looking for someone to tell us a straight story about the MoCo's belief that if you keep it long enough, it will be Hundreds of Dollars.

They knowbout the Twin Cam chain tensioner failure rate pre 35K and nowhere is it a service interval check , the cheap INA EVO cam bearing, and ther BAD workmanship on service...

My rebuild at an HD had a 30 DAY warranty. The reman ain't no shake either. INA OEM.

My next money goes into a replacement power train, non HD. Don't want a new bike, just one that won't let me down.

Last edited by FLGEEZ; 11-25-2012 at 06:30 PM.
Old 11-25-2012, 07:08 PM
Codeman234
Novice

Originally Posted by FLGEEZ
Broke mine recently. Stripped the tranny oil plug in my 1996 FLHTCI just before Veterans Day. Ordered a Baker Drivetrain Plus+1 oil pan as a replacement for my OEM 4 qt. My labor and $500.00 or back to the same with the 'drip in on the the intake' OEM pan for the same cost with their labor.
Little back ground. on my third engine. Orig OEM last to 55K till a bad trip across a Potomac River bridge and a thigh burning cage wreck burnt my OEM 'Buck and a piece' INA bearing. Local in DC said 'don't worry' about the OIL red light if you did not run it far. Same Local MD HD rebuilt mine to save money; $3500.00 without an oil pump and the lowest guy on the pole getting his practical factors on my bike.

Left me stranded in Branson, MO after 1100 miles. (not that it mattered to anyone else, but this was the week my Dad got his teminal Stage 4 diagnosis, and the delay to get back to INDY, get my trailer, return and get it back for a slap and tickle took a bit). The compensator nut jarred loose.... Local in Indianapolis dropped a Re man @ $4500.00 in and 22K later my plug did not survice my last attempt at self maintenance.

Now, a new Baker Plus+1 will give me the additional 1 qt, a better oil heat dispersion oil pick up spot, the chance to add the OIL TEMP guage to replace the 'Do you know how hot it is somewhere on the bike' guage.

Long story short... I really am dissapointed with the longevity of the HD product. We are invested to the tune of 3 HDs and seriously am looking for someone to tell us a straight story about the MoCo's belief that if you keep it long enough, it will be Hundreds of Dollars.

They knowbout the Twin Cam chain tensioner failure rate pre 35K and nowhere is it a service interval check , the cheap INA EVO cam bearing, and ther BAD workmanship on service...

My rebuild at an HD had a 30 DAY warranty. The reman ain't no shake either. INA OEM.

My next money goes into a replacement power train, non HD. Don't want a new bike, just one that won't let me down.

Sad story man.
My last bike ('02 heritage softail) had 82K before my tensioner let go. Thankful it happened in my driveway on startup. I had 86K on that bike when I sold it. Only thing that ever happened that cost me money. I don't know if I was lucky or my religious 1,500 mile oil changes paid off...
On a side note, I had purchased the extended service plan, Harley picked up my bike and replaced the tensioner, oil pump, and cams at no additional cost to me!
Dodged a bullet on that one!

Old 11-25-2012, 07:09 PM
The painter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 109 Likes on 57 Posts

I took my passenger floor boards off.
One thing at a time while I learn what I like and not like.

Old 11-25-2012, 07:26 PM
FLGEEZ
Road Master
Unhappy

Originally Posted by Codeman234
Sad story man.
My last bike ('02 heritage softail) had 82K before my tensioner let go. Thankful it happened in my driveway on startup. I had 86K on that bike when I sold it. Only thing that ever happened that cost me money. I don't know if I was lucky or my religious 1,500 mile oil changes paid off...
On a side note, I had purchased the extended service plan, Harley picked up my bike and replaced the tensioner, oil pump, and cams at no additional cost to me!
Dodged a bullet on that one!
The 2001 TC was a 3 year old, 6700 mile purchase to convert to a trike in 2005. Harley would have voided the warranty, even if it had the extended warranty, cause of the conversion. Now of course the TRI Glide... My wife was actually on the focus group HD set up in MD near Washington, DC in 2008 to refine their trike options. She has riden a 2012 103ci dealership unit in KY after her 2005 conversion, discontinued, rear axle failed on the way back from Nebraska this year after 35,000 miles. Another $2200.00 for a replacement aftermarket axle assembly, that I installed myself; so It's my fault on that from now on.

We enjoy the touring, not the trepidation of will it get back. Too many of our HD friends have similar stories on new and reconditioned rides.

Attached Thumbnails What did you do to your bagger today?-100_2124.jpg   What did you do to your bagger today?-100_2156.jpg  

Last edited by FLGEEZ; 11-25-2012 at 11:12 PM.
Old 11-26-2012, 06:53 PM
Cuzen
Stage III

Put "Reduced Reach" bars on my 2012 FTLRU. MUCH easier on my back and shoulder muscles.

Old 11-26-2012, 08:58 PM
philc814
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

installed the harly hammock and rider backrest along with the detachable luggage rack.

Old 11-26-2012, 11:17 PM
grisgris
5th Gear

Installed new Jackpot 3.5" mufflers and they sound great.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your bagger today?