Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A lady and her daughter, help please

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 06:02 PM
Cheech2010FLHTK
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry but 8yrs old IS NOT to young to be a passenger.. If you are comfortable with her being on the back of an ultra and don't want to lose the sportiness of the softtail. Add a good backrest and foot pegs she is able to reach. That harness looks like a great idea as well.

I see people all the time taking young kids on crotch rockets (8yrs old would be to young) but they still take them. My youngest son (12) will now go on small trips with me but he hated the loud pipes on the roadking. And couldn't touch the foot rests the first time he went with me at 8. Now he can touch the footrests and the backrest of the ultra he feels much safer.

I wouldn't trade your bike just get add-ons that make you feel more secure with your daughter on the back. Good luck with what ever you decide to do.

Old 05-02-2011, 06:08 PM
Purple_Daze
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Bigdad68
I am sorry to say that there is no safe ride. My mother was thrown from an Ultra on Good Friday and died on impact with a helmet. Now I am not trying to scare you I am just saying we don't ride because it's safe. We take that risk every time we straddle the tank. I got right back on this week and did a 200 mile turn around in honor of mom. It is what she would have wanted. You have to decide if you want to take that risk with an 8 year old. As for my 8 year old she is sitting out for a while.

Thank you for sharing, I am sorry bor your recent loss. God Bless.

Old 05-02-2011, 06:14 PM
Wildman4x4nut
Tourer
Received 47 Likes on 31 Posts

I know people just have to comment but this lady isn't asking if you think taking an 8 year old is too young. There was already a thread about this asking at what age did your kids start riding. IMHO unless your replying to her questions you should just keep your comments to yourself. I know that won't happen but it sure would be nice.

Old 05-02-2011, 06:20 PM
Purple_Daze
Cruiser

My 8 year old rides horses and soon will start jumping and showing them, under a coach's instructions. I shiver every time she is on a horse as I have ridden, trained and shown horses all of my life, with many injuries, broken bones to show for it. I got back on and rode on to many trophies and have memories to carry into forever. I don't coach my child to ride, I just can't, but nor can I hold her back from experiencing her passions. I leave her behind to bride my bike. I am her only person, there is no father in her life very often. I thought we could use bonding. If we live in fear, life is already over. I've taken many training courses including advanced motorcycle training taught by cops. Can I guarantee my daughter will never get hurt on a motorcycle, no I can't. We are adventurous. As safe as possible. That's all I can say really.

Old 05-02-2011, 06:27 PM
TickTock
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the most important thing is to find a bike that is within your ability to control and handle safely. I see you state you weigh 120 pounds but you don't indicate how tall you are. Given that you can handle a motorcycle while it is moving, you still need to consider how you handle it when you have to stop. I suspect that with your softail you are able to manage it fine - but to truly know how you might handle another bike the best suggestion is for you to rent one for a day or so and see how you handle it without any children.

Another aspect to consider is what the child is built like and how they adapt to the motorcycle. My daughter at 8 was short and chunky (100 lbs) and was difficult to manage when she would not lean properly. Luckily I weighed 220 pounds and was strong enough to power through some of those moves. My son on the other hand is long and thin and if he made a bad move I never felt it. I bring this up because you have to consider what that weight is going to do on various models as well and how you can handle the mistakes that the kid makes without you being prepared for it.

Old 05-02-2011, 07:53 PM
Pete838
Cruiser

The most difficult thing a small person runs into with a large bike, IMO, is backing it up; especially if there is an incline. My wife is ~120 lbs, and while she could probably ride my bagger, there is no way she could back it, and has a hard time even picking it up off the jiffy stand.

Old 05-02-2011, 08:24 PM
piper59
Elite HDF Member
Received 1,229 Likes on 625 Posts

Originally Posted by Cheech2010FLHTK
Sorry but 8yrs old IS NOT to young to be a passenger.. If you are comfortable with her being on the back of an ultra and don't want to lose the sportiness of the softtail. Add a good backrest and foot pegs she is able to reach. That harness looks like a great idea as well.

I see people all the time taking young kids on crotch rockets (8yrs old would be to young) but they still take them. My youngest son (12) will now go on small trips with me but he hated the loud pipes on the roadking. And couldn't touch the foot rests the first time he went with me at 8. Now he can touch the footrests and the backrest of the ultra he feels much safer.

I wouldn't trade your bike just get add-ons that make you feel more secure with your daughter on the back. Good luck with what ever you decide to do.
No,8 yrs.old isn't too young for U,for me,Yes it is!

Last edited by piper59; 05-02-2011 at 08:37 PM.
Old 05-02-2011, 08:37 PM
Wildman4x4nut
Tourer
Received 47 Likes on 31 Posts

People should not try telling others what is right or wrong to do with someone elses kids. It is no different than the government telling us what to do and not to do. I don't need someone else trying to keep me or my kids safe. I can decide for myself and my kids.
MY daughter rides a quad, a snowmobile, and a bicycle on her own. She also rides on my Harley and the wifes. If you think it isn't safe then fine you don't let your kids do these things but I am going to let mine.
I use to ride in the bed of a pickup truck, remember when that wasn't illegal? And how much fun it was to stand up in the back looking over the cab going 30-50MPH down the road? But because people who think they know better said it wasn't safe now you can't do it. I tried to sign up for a motorcycle rally the other day but then started reading the rules. They required you to wear a full face helmet plus full riding gear with padding at all times to participate in this rally. To me this is total BS!!! I should be able to make the choice what I want to wear.

Anyhow again, keep your softtail just make it work for you and your daughter. I think you will both be just as happy and safe.

Old 05-02-2011, 09:07 PM
Texas Rapier
Road Warrior
Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

You list you weight but not your height.

At 120 pounds your a light lady. The touring frame it a taller and heavier bike espically adding a fairing, lowers and a tour pack which is all high weight. My concern is your ability to comfortably handle the the bigger bike with a higher center of gravity.

Before you make the change rent one for the weekend first day ride it by yourself and get the feel of the bigger bike. Second day IF YOUR COMFORTABLE take your daughter for a ride and see how the extra weight feels. She will be more High Weight also raising the center of gravity.

A $250.00 Rental mistake isn't as bad as a $22,000.00 mistake

I have no problem with your daughter riding with you. I think it's a good thing that you spend the time with your daughter and ultimate the time you spend with her will make her a better person.

My 13 year old son gets dropped off a school every morning off my Road King and he loves it.

There is also a thread on here were someone put the fairing, saddle bags and I think a tour pack on a softtail. This may be a cheaper more suitable route.

Old 05-02-2011, 10:37 PM
mannya4
Cruiser

If you're looking for the cheap way look for some aftermarket armrests that attach to the backrest. If you're looking for a new touring bike that is fun and sporty i'd go with a street glide with a detachable tour pack. IMO

Quick Reply: A lady and her daughter, help please