Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

H.D. Wind Splitter or Klock Werks 6.5” Flare?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 03:23 PM
tgspencer56
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default H.D. Wind Splitter or Klock Werks 6.5” Flare?

Going with one or the other – any preferences?

Old 05-12-2011, 03:40 PM
longrideshields-1
Premium Sponsor
Received 74 Likes on 47 Posts

I know Im biased..... but the answer is neither

either way you will pay too much for the windshield and neither one will perform as you wish it would..

This is my opinion - some shields are designed to work and others are designed to look pretty.

I have even told people who bought the Xstream shield from us that when they purchased this style of windshield it would not function the same or as well as a spoiler or flip up shield with a recurve at the top.

When you let the wind in on the sides you loose the pressure needed to direct wind over the top of the rider.

Yes they will let lots of wind in on the sides and make it harder to hear your stereo and yes it will change the look of your bike.

In my opinion the purpose of a windshield is to keep bugs and wind off of you so that you can see and enjoy the road.

I have a collection of both the aforementioned shields and have ridden with them, people call me all the time and complain about them.

You will pay $155 - $190 dollars for each of them and will end up switching to something that costs half the price because it actually works.

once again thats just my opinion, but I like to think I know a little about windshields.

General Inquiries:
Info@LongRideShields.com
Sales and Marketing:
Sales@LongRideShields.com
Phone:

Last edited by longrideshields-1; 05-12-2011 at 04:47 PM.
Old 05-12-2011, 04:46 PM
longrideshields-1
Premium Sponsor

I hope My opinion wasnt too much of a buzz kill..... sorry guys.

Old 05-12-2011, 04:53 PM
pauletich
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

SO LRS what would you recommandation be for a good recurved windshield that blocks the wind and allows you to enjoy your stereo?

Old 05-12-2011, 04:57 PM
buggy
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

IMO, I had a 6" plain H.D. one and bought cheap a 6.5" K.W. flare and i don't notice any differance .I prefer my 4" and use the flare on roadtrips and in the winter just cause I have it. K.W. makes nice stuff dont get me wrong

Old 05-12-2011, 05:08 PM
Redbeard719
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,221 Likes on 545 Posts

Last edited by Redbeard719; 05-13-2011 at 04:33 PM.
Old 05-12-2011, 05:14 PM
longrideshields-1
Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by pauletich
SO LRS what would you recommandation be for a good recurved windshield that blocks the wind and allows you to enjoy your stereo?
I hope Im not comming off too arogant but it depends on the height of the rider.

In most cases a rider under 5 foot 9 inches can get away with a 6 inch ultra or flat top ultra.

A rider between 5'10" and 6 foot can do an 7 - 9 inch windshield comfortably.

That would be getting the wind completely off the rider.

There are other factors to take into account as well such as seat height, average torso height.

Essentially you want a flip up shield to line up with the top lip or tip or tip of your nose. That will allow the rider to see over the windshield even after he is settled in and slouching after the first 20 minutes of riding.

Old 05-12-2011, 05:15 PM
longrideshields-1
Premium Sponsor

obviously the measurement for a street glide is different than the measurement for a Ultra classic and even different on a trike.

Old 05-12-2011, 05:57 PM
ThaGlyde
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There was a noticeable difference on my kw 6.5 on my glide when I lowered the ride height in the back an inch. I was riding with a stock street glide windshield before that, which shook the glasses all over my face. I like the wind, just not the turbulent shades so its the perfect fit for me.

Old 05-12-2011, 06:22 PM
SDVmnt
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It all depends on your seat, your height and your distance from the fairing. I have the HD windsplitter and it fits perfectly. Get a little sunglass chatter if I get a strange cross wind but I attribute most of that to the air coming from below.

I tried the KW 6.5 but found with my position to that shield, it shot all the wind right into my ears.
6'1, Brawler seat which is back ~2-3" and down a couple inches from stock.

The windsplitter seems to kick the wind out further around my head.

That and it looks bad *** with the PYO bars :-) It's like they were made to compliment eachother.

Quick Reply: H.D. Wind Splitter or Klock Werks 6.5” Flare?