Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S&S T-111 first impressions

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2013, 07:02 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,853 Likes on 2,420 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by silverone
Apologies for starting up an old thread, but I'm thinking about this new S&S Motor for my 01 Electra glide and I'm trying to find out as much information as I can about this motor. Thanks in advance any experiences with this motor pro and con would be greatly appreciated.
Hi from the UK and welcome to HDF. If you use the 'Search' in the blue bar above and enter 't111' you will find about thirty threads. S&S makes an Evo version the V111 and a TC version the T111. They are successors to the V107T I have owned for five years now and mine is just great! Been all round Europe on it and it has a flat torque curve and approx 100 HP/TQ.

Old 03-10-2013, 10:27 AM
silverone
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
Hi from the UK and welcome to HDF. If you use the 'Search' in the blue bar above and enter 't111' you will find about thirty threads. S&S makes an Evo version the V111 and a TC version the T111. They are successors to the V107T I have owned for five years now and mine is just great! Been all round Europe on it and it has a flat torque curve and approx 100 HP/TQ.
Thanks for the reply, I already did as u suggested and have been doing a lot of reading here and elsewhere as well, hope they have the valve spring issue fixed.

Old 03-10-2013, 10:51 AM
Jackazz
Advanced
Thumbs up

I've had mine in for a year now and other than the valve spring issue its been awesome. For me it was the best bang for my buck, I put a 34T trans pulley on for a poor mans overdrive so I miss out a bit on my bottom end, but top end she absolutely pulls like a freight train.
I like to cruise and wanted power to pass on demand, got that in spades.

Old 03-11-2013, 06:35 PM
silverone
Intermediate
Talking

Originally Posted by Jackazz
I've had mine in for a year now and other than the valve spring issue its been awesome. For me it was the best bang for my buck, I put a 34T trans pulley on for a poor mans overdrive so I miss out a bit on my bottom end, but top end she absolutely pulls like a freight train.
I like to cruise and wanted power to pass on demand, got that in spades.
thanks for the reply, planning on changing the transmission pulley as well, I was wondering what years your bike and are you happy with the T34, thanks again

Old 03-11-2013, 07:14 PM
lkr0
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I have since got it built to a 124 by star racing but the 111 was very impressive - the torque was superb, the motor would pull and pull - never ran hot, temps never got to 200 -- could ride with shorts on; I do think the 585 cam may need a little more compression for it to be a screamer but that may take away from its very streetable manners -- for the price and three year warranty I don't think you can get a better crate motor.
Apologies for starting up an old thread, but I'm thinking about this new S&S Motor for my 01 Electra glide and I'm trying to find out as much information as I can about this motor. Thanks in advance any experiences with this motor pro and con would be greatly appreciated.

The following users liked this post:
lespaul6 (11-13-2021)
Old 03-11-2013, 08:22 PM
silverone
Intermediate

Originally Posted by lkr0
I have since got it built to a 124 by star racing but the 111 was very impressive - the torque was superb, the motor would pull and pull - never ran hot, temps never got to 200 -- could ride with shorts on; I do think the 585 cam may need a little more compression for it to be a screamer but that may take away from its very streetable manners -- for the price and three year warranty I don't think you can get a better crate motor.
thanks for the reply, I'm almost certain I'm gonna pull the trigger on this motor swap, I am really fed up with the motor company's lies about the twin cam motor. I have a grear drive in mime and still don't trust it with the runout problems they have with the crank I just want something that runs good and is dependable that all have to work on time sounds like a T111 is in my future!

Old 03-11-2013, 11:21 PM
Jackazz
Advanced

thanks for the reply, planning on changing the transmission pulley as well, I was wondering what years your bike and are you happy with the T34, thanks again
It's a 2004. I'm very happy with the 34T, I cruise at pretty much the same RPMs
as guys with 6 speeds. I think you will be more than happy with the motor!
The easy start cams are nice as well, you don't have to worry about compression releases. My starter clutch went and I was able to push start it myself, that's how easy start they are.
Good Luck

Old 03-12-2013, 04:09 AM
grbrown
Club Member

I run my 107 with stock gearing and recommend you do the same with your 111. If you ride 2-up you will struggle climbing Alpine hairpins with a higher first gear! These engines run to higher rpms than stock Harley motors and do not need to be geared up. How you gonna use your new 6,500rpm?! Raising gearing wastes some of the improved torque your new engine brings to the party.

Old 03-12-2013, 09:21 AM
silverone
Intermediate

Originally Posted by grbrown
I run my 107 with stock gearing and recommend you do the same with your 111. If you ride 2-up you will struggle climbing Alpine hairpins with a higher first gear! These engines run to higher rpms than stock Harley motors and do not need to be geared up. How you gonna use your new 6,500rpm?! Raising gearing wastes some of the improved torque your new engine brings to the party.
That's interesting I've always felt like my 95 inch ultra needed a sixth gear a ride to a once in awhile but my wife only weighs 100 pounds I can hardly tell she's back there. Am always reaching for another gear on the highway though, my motors built has about 100 horsepower 100ft pounds of torque it has about 45,000 miles on it the bottom end and that is problem is it as 10.5 compression and I'm having trouble running it on pump gas. S&S tells me with the smart ignition on the T111 I won't have a problem anymore with gas and still have the power that I'm looking for.

Old 03-12-2013, 11:23 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Cool

That's interesting I've always felt like my 95 inch ultra needed a sixth gear a ride to a once in awhile but my wife only weighs 100 pounds I can hardly tell she's back there. Am always reaching for another gear on the highway though, my motors built has about 100 horsepower 100ft pounds of torque it has about 45,000 miles on it the bottom end and that is problem is it as 10.5 compression and I'm having trouble running it on pump gas. S&S tells me with the smart ignition on the T111 I won't have a problem anymore with gas and still have the power that I'm looking for.
I've owned bikes with 3, 4, 5 and 6 speeds and looked for another gear on all of them. I'm sure that if I had 6, 7 or even 8 on my 5-speed Glide I would still look for another! It doesn't mean either of us actually needs one, it is quite normal. I've been riding for almost 40 years now.

Gearing is one of the most misunderstood things in the Harley world and I wish there was an easy way to change that. On the one hand many of us look for more power and torque, yet on the other hand raising the gearing reduces the benefit. I can't get my head around that! Having installed my 107" I kept stock gearing, to get the most out of my investment.

As a bonus, our S&S engines will rev 1,000rpm higher than stock Harley engines, so are happy as can be, spinning a bit faster. I reckon the sweet spot for my 107", now that it is well and truly run in, is between 2,500 and 4,500rpm. In fact fully loaded it will roll on from around 1,500rpm in top, on a friendly gradient.

I also have the IST smart ignition. My 3 year warranty passed by without needing to use it, I am pleased to report. We have travelled in Eastern Europe in recent years, behind the old Iron Curtain, so the protection that IST provides is very welcome. Also nice to be able to charge down German autobahns, with no speed restrictions!

Quick Reply: S&S T-111 first impressions