Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WOW, changed my fork fluid and it rides MUCH MUCH better

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 12:11 PM
c50plus
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 3 Posts
Default WOW, changed my fork fluid and it rides MUCH MUCH better

Bike has 40K and maintenance book says change fork fluid at 50 K. Well I just
changed it at 40k and many front end weird sensations I was experiencing did disappear.
The tech put a heavier oil than what came with the bike. Guys she feels like when she was new.

I can not believe what a difference such a simple change makes.

Old 05-19-2011, 01:32 PM
don g
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I just changed mine also on my 09 RK and what a nice difference. The bike has 10k on it and the old oil was a dark grey metallic. I used the Screamin Eagle heavy oil that has a clear red color to it, similar to trans fluid, and the bike rides really nice and it greatly reduced the front end dive when using the front brake at all speeds. I can't really notice if it gave the bike a stiffer ride over bumps. If anyone is tired of that front end dive when using the front brakes you should definitely make this change. Very easy to do.

Old 05-19-2011, 01:37 PM
equandt
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by c50plus
Bike has 40K and maintenance book says change fork fluid at 50 K. Well I just
changed it at 40k and many front end weird sensations I was experiencing did disappear.
The tech put a heavier oil than what came with the bike. Guys she feels like when she was new.

I can not believe what a difference such a simple change makes.
I experience this too when I had my 20K service on my 02 RKC. When I picked up the bike, I thought it was a new bike. This completely changed the feel of my bike...for the better.

Old 05-19-2011, 01:48 PM
MyFirstHD
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You don't realize how bad it's getting because it's like the frog in the boiling water. My mechanic ripped me for negletting to change mine until 50K. Even if it doesn't feel bad, you'll feel how much better it is when it's changed.

Old 05-19-2011, 01:50 PM
JRBass
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Now Next time search for iclick's method or DIY on fork oil change and do this one yourself it takes less than 1 hour and easy to do. I agree the SE heavy makes a huge difference.

Old 05-19-2011, 02:14 PM
Beemervet
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 435 Likes on 317 Posts

50 K is way too long to wait. 15K is more like it. You would not believe what is found at the bottom of the sliders when doing a complete rebuild.

Old 05-19-2011, 02:38 PM
JRBass
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Beemervet
50 K is way too long to wait. 15K is more like it. You would not believe what is found at the bottom of the sliders when doing a complete rebuild.
Yup! I did mine at 4k too put Chrome lowers on and couldn't believe the crap in there. As easy of job it is and as cheap as the oil is it will become a more regularly scheduled change for me.

Old 05-19-2011, 03:26 PM
SecondChance!!
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would like to do mine, but it is stated that mine has a cartridge on one side and not on the other. I have the 04 EGC with 30K on it. I am really not wanting to drop the $$$$ at the stealer to have them do it for me. I have not found anyone who has done it and I for get off the top of my head what the OM says right now. I feel it was not what I was after for I have not done it as of yet.

Old 05-19-2011, 03:29 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

Try putting some Ricor intiminators in too. Then you will REALLY feel a difference.

Drew

Old 05-19-2011, 04:36 PM
hydrolock43
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Intiminators?

Originally Posted by DR. V-TWIN
Try putting some Ricor intiminators in too. Then you will REALLY feel a difference.

Drew
How many hundred are these?

Quick Reply: WOW, changed my fork fluid and it rides MUCH MUCH better