Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Glass cleaner for your windshield

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 08:10 PM
strtarrow
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Exclamation Glass cleaner for your windshield

I know this topic has been beat to death but today I found something I had to try. Have always been a big rain x fan and found a can of their spray foam 2-in-1 glass cleaner + rain repellent. Funny thing is, all of the products I looked at did not list the ingredients and I have not been able to find the ingredients on the internet. I know many have said ammonia is not good for a windshield but I did not learn about this until recently on here. I have used Windex since I have owned this bike, almost 4 and a half years with no adverse effects. I am heading home tomorrow, 200 miles and the forecast calls for rain so guess I will find out if it actually works worth a flip.

Old 05-26-2011, 08:18 PM
TWIN CAM 96
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

www.purpleslice.com
There no ammonia in this. Will not scratch lexan/paint/chrome you can clean your whole bike with it. This is not a sales pitch.

Last edited by TWIN CAM 96; 05-26-2011 at 08:23 PM.
Old 05-26-2011, 08:30 PM
strtarrow
Banned

Originally Posted by TWIN CAM 96
www.purpleslice.com
There no ammonia in this. Will not scratch lexan/paint/chrome you can clean your whole bike with it. This is not a sales pitch.
Perhaps but I have been using rain x for years but then got too lazy to apply it to the windshields of my cages. Then when they came out with the windshield washer fluid it is all I use. The stuff works and I am anxious to see how it performs on my bike. Just went out of my hotel room to put the cover on my bike and not a star in the sky so chances of finding out if it helps or not I should find out tomorrow.

Old 05-26-2011, 08:37 PM
FDHOG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 237 Likes on 123 Posts

Use Plexus on your windshield. You can even use Pledge. I've used both and they work great. I just try to avoid the "Lemony" smell.

Old 05-26-2011, 08:38 PM
SpiderPig
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 64 Likes on 52 Posts

The best and cheapest mixture for washing the windshield is a mixture of Hydrogen Peroxide and water. Dried bugs just melt away.

Old 05-26-2011, 08:45 PM
1st 96 ultra
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Don't use rain x on your bike windshield ,it will turn it yellow , I use the Honda spray on mine works good

Guitar4Him
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I bought a pack of Pledge wipes today at Walmart. My windshield was pretty "buggy". One wipe to get all the bugs loose and a cloth diaper to do the final polishing and it was perfectly clean and shining. I've been hearing about Pledge so I decided to give it a try...haven't used the spray yet but the wipes sure work good on the windshield. The nicest thing about them is that they don't take up much space in the saddlebag.

strtarrow
Banned

Originally Posted by SpiderPig
The best and cheapest mixture for washing the windshield is a mixture of Hydrogen Peroxide and water. Dried bugs just melt away.
I have read about this a hundred times but the reason I bought the rain x is because of the fact that it repels water fairly well.

Old 05-26-2011, 09:00 PM
steelerdude1
Grand HDF Member
Received 283 Likes on 215 Posts

I have a clearview shield, there website states that Rain x original formula is OK to use on their shields. Not sure what diferences between theirs and others. I have yet to try it though.

Not sure why ammonia based cleaners would be bad for shields. Only thing I have seen is that film tinted windows turn purple from ammonia.

Old 05-26-2011, 09:07 PM
fatvette
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use lemon pledge on the windsheild along with the rest of the bike.

Quick Reply: Glass cleaner for your windshield