Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hesitation and Sputtering

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 04:37 PM
stevepacman
Road Master
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Unhappy Hesitation and Sputtering

So not long after doing a 103" build, my bike is starting to hesitate intermittently when hot mostly when starting from a stand-still and almost never on high speed runs on the Interstate.

My dealer did all the checks including fuel pressure, compression, spark plugs, ignition coil. They weren't able to duplicate the problem....figures!!

I have run at least three tanks of fuel through her including putting HD's octane boost/injector cleaner in.

I know the Softails have an issue with the fuel line leaking in the tank. Has anyone ever heard of this on the Touring bikes? BTW, mine is an '07.

I hate the idea that this is probably going to take a long time to isolate. I can only hope that something finallly shows itself and breaks hard.

I plan to do some data recording with my Pro Super Tuner so I can use "Smart Tune" maybe it's a borderline air/fuel mix problem.??

Old 06-14-2011, 11:22 AM
Bdawgsglide
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I been having the same problem with my 2009 Streetglide after upgrading my cams. Have a PCV and have noticed its more of a tuning issue. Ive tried several maps and a few seem to correct the problem. I think a dyno may help, that's what im about to do. My dealer can't find anything neither. I know how frustrating it is!!

Old 06-14-2011, 12:09 PM
strtarrow
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I recently developed the same problem on my 01 FLHR. Replaced the plugs and wires but has not fixed the issue so it is currently in an Indy's shop. As my bike is completely different (non EFI or other mods) I am hoping ignition coil or something not too expensive. I will still be curious what you guys find and will post if my cure is found.

Old 06-14-2011, 12:39 PM
speakerfritz
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

mostly when starting from a stand-still and almost never on high speed runs
do you have a stage I air kit? pull the egg cover off and drive around on a hot day with lots of long stops (like at a red light).

if running with the cover off took care of he problem....the issue is with the cover on, you are sucking in hot air heated by your engine while standing still. the eng temp sensor sends hot engine signals to the ecm. ecm leans out the fuel. the heat levels generated by sucking in hot engine heated air causes a convention effect which results in a continual increase in engine heat, which the ECM tries to correct, by leaning out the fuel.

the fuel becomes so lean, that the engine will sputter and cough at power demands, like taking off.

once you move forward, ambient air gets sucked in which is a lot cooler than the air around your engine and this cooler air needs an ecm correction to combust correctly. the correction is done by the ecm, but the ecm can not anticipate this.

running with the cover off, allows more ambient air to be sucked in at a standstill rather than having the cover force the intake of hot engine heated air. The convention effect is reduced.

Old 06-14-2011, 12:41 PM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

It could be a tuning issue too lean down low, or the IAC motor. I cleaned out my IAC and it fixed my hesitation/stall issue. Pulled the air cleaner, open the butterfly and stuff a rag back in there and then flush out the IAC port with carb/brake cleaner, I didn't even have to pull the IAC motor off the throttle body. I'ts worth a try and a lot cheaper than a trip to tuner.

Old 06-14-2011, 02:07 PM
stevepacman
Road Master
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by speakerfritz
do you have a stage I air kit? pull the egg cover off and drive around on a hot day with lots of long stops (like at a red light).

if running with the cover off took care of he problem....the issue is with the cover on, you are sucking in hot air heated by your engine while standing still. the eng temp sensor sends hot engine signals to the ecm. ecm leans out the fuel. the heat levels generated by sucking in hot engine heated air causes a convention effect which results in a continual increase in engine heat, which the ECM tries to correct, by leaning out the fuel.

the fuel becomes so lean, that the engine will sputter and cough at power demands, like taking off.

once you move forward, ambient air gets sucked in which is a lot cooler than the air around your engine and this cooler air needs an ecm correction to combust correctly. the correction is done by the ecm, but the ecm can not anticipate this.

running with the cover off, allows more ambient air to be sucked in at a standstill rather than having the cover force the intake of hot engine heated air. The convention effect is reduced.
Great comment. Very strong possiblilty for me. I wonder if I can tweak the Accel Enrichment in the lower throttle/rpm range to offset this?

I'm planning to do some recording runs and use "Smart Tune" feature of my race tuner soon. The fact the the builder/tuner barely made adjustments from the base map while on the dyno leads me to believe I can do some good with some adjustments.

Old 06-14-2011, 02:18 PM
speakerfritz
Road Warrior

Great comment. Very strong possiblilty for me. I wonder if I can tweak the Accel Enrichment in the lower throttle/rpm range to offset this?
if you go richer, it will basically lengthen the stop time required to cause the convention effect with the cover on. The root cause, I believe, is the intake of eng heated air, which heats up the engine even more, which causes hotter dissipation , which generates even hotter air to be sucked into the cupped air intake.

You can try to run with the cover off. Or if you have a parade fan, reverse the connections so that the air blows from right to left (cool air into intake) instead of left to right (hot air into intake).

Old 06-14-2011, 02:25 PM
Soon2Be1
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Stevepacman,

I have been having some similar problems with mine. The only other thing is it gets hot FAST and then form time to time the bike is at idle then it drops to 500 RPM. The Speedo randomly cuts off.

Not sure if this the same issue. She does hesitate a bit and it is more form a stand still.

ANYONE have any ideas?

Old 06-14-2011, 02:32 PM
speakerfritz
Road Warrior

She does hesitate a bit and it is more form a stand still.
thats right....if you have a stage one, pull you cover and try riding around on a hot day with a lot of traffic change type stops.

Old 06-19-2011, 07:46 AM
strtarrow
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Here is what my wrench found. I am working out of town so dropped the bike off to be worked on. Picked it up yesterday and it runs great. Sorry but the pics are a bit shaky. Anyway in case you can't make it out the insulator nose separated from the insulator allowing it slide up and down the electrode. I explained to him that I had just replaced the plugs and wires. He did find some gunk clogging a fuel line but as the bike still ran like crap he checked the plugs and this is what he found. BTW he replaced them with NGK's as opposed to the Autolite's.

Attached Thumbnails Hesitation and Sputtering-spark-plug-001.jpg   Hesitation and Sputtering-spark-plug-002.jpg   Hesitation and Sputtering-spark-plug-003.jpg   Hesitation and Sputtering-spark-plug-004.jpg   Hesitation and Sputtering-spark-plug-006.jpg  

Quick Reply: Hesitation and Sputtering