Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quieting down Reinhart True Duals

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 11:25 AM
coolerman69
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ultra_classic
I had Kerker slip ons before as seen in my picture/signature with factory head pipes, now I have [Bub]Rineharts True dual with 2" inlet mufflers, and find it to loud, it looks like Bub Stealth 7 is the only quiet 2" slip on available.

Update: I did add a Baffle from ??? cant think of the name right now and it reduced the noise by 6-8 db and took the edge off, BUT it also took the bottom end pull that i liked, so. Options are replace head pipes and put on my slip ons i had, $400-500, Or try the Bub 7 Stealths $500-700.

Keep this string going, Thanks Mark
If you are running Rineharts/Bubs you MUST use a Rinehart tip or one made like them. Its the tip that seals around the baffle. If you use a norman 3 1/2" tip it will be LOUD and lose performance. Its almost like running no baffle at all. I have Rineharts on both bikes and can carry on a conversation at 70-80 mph no problem. They WILL talk when your on the gas hard!

Old 01-04-2012, 05:23 PM
SpiderPig
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 64 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by HarleyGyrene
I found the same problem with my Rinehart 2into2 pipes. After a couple days on the road they were just annoying as hell ! Pulled the baffles: was going to wrap (stock are NOT wrapped) but there wasn't enough clearance. Noticed the little louvers on the baffle pointed towards the end of the pipes. Reversed them (pointed toward header end) and it dropped the volume a little AND gained some performance from the back pressure. Been that way for about 2500 miles: no problems and I can stand the sound on longer hauls !

Good luck.

EDIT: By the way: I called Rinehart about the "Quiet" baffles and the rep flat out said they made no difference !

Thanks I will give this a try and report back. With the weather right now it may be in the spring though.

Old 01-04-2012, 06:16 PM
FL-kruzen
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I think it's not the muffler but rather the True Duels that makes it louder. I just installed a set of Cobra True Duels on my EG with the same muffler and let me tell you, it is much louder now. It's so load I have a set of new mufflers on order to quite it down after repacking failed.

Old 01-04-2012, 06:21 PM
Leftcoaster
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Man, you threw some aggressive cams into your motor and any exhaust you use is going to be louder than it normally would have been. Be thankful you didn't also bump the compression too, that REALLY raises the noise factor.
The quiet baffles do make a difference but you'll also have to de-tune to make them work right. The quiet baffles for Rinehart's are 1-3/4" as opposed to the 2' baffles you're currently using. It's a great system that uses stepped head pipes to enhance scavenging.
Normally they aren't loud until you whack the throttle open - mine never are anyways, and that let's me motor through town or past the LEO's without ever raising an eyebrow, even with 10.5:1 compression and 577 cams.

Old 01-04-2012, 08:11 PM
LKHA
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

are we talking th 3.5 or the 4 inch mufflers

Old 01-04-2012, 08:22 PM
coolerman69
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by LKHA
are we talking th 3.5 or the 4 inch mufflers
3.5 for me

Old 01-04-2012, 08:36 PM
oasis03
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the rineharts on my 03 RK and tried everything to get them just so i could stand to ride 200 miles without the racket they made. Took them off and went with stock 06 screaming eagles with super trap pipes . The bike picked up horse power plus lots of torque.and is super quite.

Old 01-04-2012, 09:24 PM
SpiderPig
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 64 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Leftcoaster
Man, you threw some aggressive cams into your motor and any exhaust you use is going to be louder than it normally would have been. Be thankful you didn't also bump the compression too, that REALLY raises the noise factor.
The quiet baffles do make a difference but you'll also have to de-tune to make them work right. The quiet baffles for Rinehart's are 1-3/4" as opposed to the 2' baffles you're currently using. It's a great system that uses stepped head pipes to enhance scavenging.
Normally they aren't loud until you whack the throttle open - mine never are anyways, and that let's me motor through town or past the LEO's without ever raising an eyebrow, even with 10.5:1 compression and 577 cams.

The bike is in my sig. It's the 06 Ultra. And yes I did bump up the compression a bit (10.5:1) The bike runs like a raped ape without issue. It is just damn LOUD is all.

Old 01-05-2012, 11:26 AM
BenBoosted
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

SpiderPig,

I went through the same issue after upgrading my 05 RK to a 10.5:1 95" with ported heads and cams (SE253). The cams aren't as big as yours, but I'm not too far off from the duration of your S&S 585 (237/252 compared to your 245/260). I had Rinehart TD's on my bike until this week. I loved the sound of the Rinehart TD's back when my bike was still stock displacement with stock cams, but once I upgraded anything longer than 20 miles caused my ears to start ringing when I got off of the bike.

Trying to quiet them down was an issue. I tried the Rinehart quiet baffles. They knocked maybe 10% off of the sound and the result was a sound I didn't like, especially when decelerating. So then I looked into changing out the slip-ons. The problem with that is that nobody but Bub makes a slip-on muffler that has a 2" inlet. Stock is 1.75" and the Rinehart TD pipes are 2". Bub's Stealth muffler was on back order the last I checked. Also, it was a $600+ gamble to find out if the Bub Stealths would be quiet enough as nobody around me has a set that I could listen to in person.

So after some searching on some other forums, I found out that getting a stock exhaust off of a 96"/103" bike (2009 and newer, where they moved the cat into the crossover pipe) is about the equivalent sound of a stock exhaust with SE slip-on's on our big bore 88"/95" motors. I picked up a stock take-off set from a 103" bike for $150, plugged the o2 bungs, and bolted it on. It's definitely not as QUIET as a stock 88" with stock exhaust, it's much louder. It's about the equivalent, IMO, of a stock 88" with some SE slip-ons.

I put about 50 miles on it yesterday at highway speed and heard something I haven't ever heard before while on the bike...tire noise while driving on a concrete highway. I've heard it in cars and trucks, but never on my RK, until now. I could still hear the exhaust note while cruising but I could hear other things as well. When hitting the gas the roar of a v-twin underneath me put a smile on my face but didn't cause my ears to ring. I'm looking forward to my first 200+ mile trip w/ this exhaust setup and to, most likely, enjoy non-ringing ears when I get off the bike.

If you'd like a video to get an idea of the sound, I'll be glad to make one and put it up.

Old 01-05-2012, 11:51 AM
Leftcoaster
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by SpiderPig
The bike is in my sig. It's the 06 Ultra. And yes I did bump up the compression a bit (10.5:1) The bike runs like a raped ape without issue. It is just damn LOUD is all.

You and I share the same issue. Ya, my 2" baffles were L-O-U-D after my motor mods. A buddy came over and rode it for about 15 minutes. I could always hear where he was.
I had to do something to quiet things down because the added exhaust noise alerted every LEO within about a 1 mile radius that someone was gettin' it on somewhere close by. I like to wind it up so I couldn't have that.
Ya know, anything you replace the TD's with is still going to be nasty loud. Try the quiet baffles, man. Mine cost around $100 (back in '08) and I had to re-tune but they made the difference that allowed me to keep the system. My scoot still makes just under 100 hp/tq and is quieter than all of my riding buddies bikes at idle, etc. It only cracks nasty when I whack it wide open.

Quick Reply: Quieting down Reinhart True Duals