Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for touring advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 10:26 AM
longrideshields-1
Premium Sponsor
Received 74 Likes on 47 Posts

Yeah I would do everything I can to ride. Leave something behind if needed, but to me that's maximizing riding time. If you must take your trailer, I would contact HD and see what they may suggest in that area. Either way, sounds like you're going to have a great weekend. Enjoy

General Inquiries:
Info@LongRideShields.com
Sales and Marketing:
Sales@LongRideShields.com
Phone:

Old 07-01-2011, 10:55 AM
BUZZARD II
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I'll admit I've always been a bit harsh to those who trailer to "bike" rallys. But if you only have a week off to go to Sturgis and live on the east coast, OK I can see it.

But this trailer to a meet and ride that's only a few hundred miles? WTF? Pick a cool place to ride to just to meet, then go from there. Something tells me that you wear a H-D tee shirt, jacket, helmet, boots, belt, ring and have a H-D decal on your tow vehicle.

Old 07-01-2011, 11:14 AM
peddler
Club Member
Received 72 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by BUZZARD II
Something tells me that you wear a H-D tee shirt, jacket, helmet, boots, belt, ring and have a H-D decal on your tow vehicle.
Really!! All that from my original question? WOW!!!

Old 07-01-2011, 11:21 AM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 321 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by harleydavidone
Just ride your bike and don't worry about it, several hundred miles is the same distance on a bike as a cage.......................

To me maximizing riding time is riding the bike as much as possible. Not only does this add some miles to your ride, you also eliminate the time it takes to load and unload the bikes (twice). You can also split up anywhere after riding together, no need to start and end at the same place. It eliminates the worry about where to leave the trailer.

Old 07-01-2011, 12:54 PM
E N AZ
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Personally, I would love the extra time to ride to the rendevouz location. You have to cover the distance either way, why not enjoy the ride on your scoot? The more time spent on the scoot the better!

Old 07-01-2011, 01:17 PM
VTGlideRider
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Up until about 3 weeks ago i had an enclosed trailer to haul my EG Classic around in. In a year I used it a grand total of one time to go to a rally in Tennessee that I only had a week off to do, and the rally itself was 4 days - I live in Vermont. This is my first Harley and my first bagger, and as I rode more and made improvements to the bike I found I was riding alot further to events than I originally thought, to the point where 3 weeks ago I said screw it and sold the trailer. I don't like iron butt rides and I would prefer to stay off the interstates, so what I do is I plan my routes to stay off them and to do 250-300 miles a day. That way I can stop when I want, see what I want along the way, and ride relaxed. Seeing things that way is an incredible experience and I dont regret a moment of my mindset change away from the trailer...even when it rained. And no it didn't have a Harley decal on the trailer!

The point is if you two are several hundred miles apart, I would guess that if you split that distance you would be in that 300 mile range or less. That's a comfortable day's ride on some nice secondary roads. Give it a try. Nothing like you and the bike and the road to straighten things out.

Old 07-01-2011, 02:25 PM
Primo
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Getting back to the original question as asked vs. the great ride vs.trailer debate....

I've read of some RV and Self Storage lots that give a discounted rate for a week or weekend where you could leave a truck and trailer and not have to pay for the whole month.

You might try calling some of the bigger outfits to see if they offer any short time rates.

Also if you are meeting in an area that has at least one you might look into commercial parking lots that would let you park for more than one day at a time.

Regardless of how you guys start your ride and it really isn't anyone's business but your own, I hope you guys have a great time on 2 wheels.

Old 07-01-2011, 02:28 PM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 627 Likes on 389 Posts

Originally Posted by harleydavidone
Just ride your bike and don't worry about it, several hundred miles is the same distance on a bike as a cage.......................
Same thing I thought. Touring bikes don't belong on trailers.

Old 07-01-2011, 02:29 PM
Sharknose
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What good is the ride going to be if you spend the time wondering if your SUV and trailer will be there when you get back?

Old 07-01-2011, 03:37 PM
ybnorml
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 25,706 Likes on 10,533 Posts

Originally Posted by peddler
I'm meeting up with an old college friend later this summer for a long weekend motorcycle trip. We live several hundred miles apart and to maximize riding time both of us are trailering our bikes to a meeting point halfway between our home addresses. Any suggestions on a good, safe place to leave our SUVs/trailers over a couple of nights while we are touring? I'm not comfortable with the idea of leaving my SUV/trailer in a Walmart parking lot. Maybe I'm wrong. Any ideas? Experience?
I'm curious as to why you both want to trailer to a central meeting point,
unload your bikes, then ride together for the weekend.
Am I missing something ?? I just don't understand your reasoning.
Is 'several hundred miles' 800 or 300 ???

Personally I'd ride my bagger there, and if my buddy wanted to trailer,
then so be it.

Quick Reply: Looking for touring advice