Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for touring advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 09:06 AM
peddler
Club Member
Received 72 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Looking for touring advice

I'm meeting up with an old college friend later this summer for a long weekend motorcycle trip. We live several hundred miles apart and to maximize riding time both of us are trailering our bikes to a meeting point halfway between our home addresses. Any suggestions on a good, safe place to leave our SUVs/trailers over a couple of nights while we are touring? I'm not comfortable with the idea of leaving my SUV/trailer in a Walmart parking lot. Maybe I'm wrong. Any ideas? Experience?

Old 07-01-2011, 09:11 AM
Sallyman
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I would suggest telling folks here where you're going and maybe there's a member on here that lives in the area that would be happy to let you leave your SUV and trailer on their property.

Old 07-01-2011, 09:11 AM
trackadaptor
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Call a Local Harley Dealer, close to where your going to meet....

They will let you park there or give you an idea of where to park...

Old 07-01-2011, 09:16 AM
harleydavidone
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Just ride your bike and don't worry about it, several hundred miles is the same distance on a bike as a cage.......................

Old 07-01-2011, 09:19 AM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

What's the big deal of several hundred miles apart? Meet halfway and it's a few hours ride. Sorry, but no way I'd see trailering to meet a friend to ride.

Old 07-01-2011, 09:24 AM
VTGlideRider
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are taking a hotel room for the first night you meet before starting out on your touring, talk to the hotel and see if they will let you leave them in their lot. If they have a big enough lot and its not a particularly busy weekend they should be ok with it, I've been able to do that in the past.

Old 07-01-2011, 09:36 AM
pargenz
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like fun, getting together with an old friend.
I don't understand how trailering your bikes is going to maximize riding time. Your meeting place is gonna be the same distance whether you are riding your scoots or pulling trailers. In fact, you'll probably make better time on 2 wheels. Plus you won't have to waste any time dicking around with loading/unloading, securing 2 trailers, and then be stuck returning to the same place.
I'd just ride mine.

Old 07-01-2011, 09:37 AM
itsaw0rkinpr0gre$$
"Seeker of Freedom"
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 ride it, less expense, more time on bike.. of course I ride mine every day so I'm a little biased toward ride versus drive. Just say no to the cage, set yourself free! Geesh you're riding an Ultra Classic..That's a rolling lazy boy..ride it.

Last edited by itsaw0rkinpr0gre$$; 07-01-2011 at 09:40 AM.
Old 07-01-2011, 09:45 AM
moondog99
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Contact a local Harley dealer and local law enforcement and see if they mind you parking there.

Old 07-01-2011, 10:15 AM
Wild Card
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I do not understand why 1 would trailer a touring bike to go ride I mean why don't ya'll just ride around in the cage together, no wind, you can talk and laugh in comfort.

way different if you travel with family or pets but just you, your scoot and the open road WTF.

Quick Reply: Looking for touring advice