Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Ride On" should be called "Ride Over"

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 11:50 AM
No Tyme
Tourer
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Default "Ride On" should be called "Ride Over"

I have been using a product called “Ride On” which is suppose to seal small punctures while you ride. I have experienced issues with my front tire twice before in the past but this is too funny not to share with you all.

Last evening I was going over my Electra Glide in preparation for a charity ride today. Checked both front and rear tire pressure and parked the bike in the garage. Today I was up and at 9 am was getting ready to ride, and what did I find: 2 Flat tires. Yes, both where flat. I did re-air the tires and road 10 miles to the beginning of the charity ride. After sitting for an hour and a half, I throw my leg over to get started on the ride and sure enough. The front tire was flat again. Well I had left my small compressor at home so I had to have the wife bring it to me, but my point is that the additive to the tire, “Ride ON” is the problem. It gums up the valve cores.

I have replaced both valve cores and the tires are holding air just fine…
No more “Ride On” for me… JMHO

Old 07-09-2011, 12:03 PM
nvsteve
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by No Tyme
I have been using a product called “Ride On” which is suppose to seal small punctures while you ride. I have experienced issues with my front tire twice before in the past but this is too funny not to share with you all.

Last evening I was going over my Electra Glide in preparation for a charity ride today. Checked both front and rear tire pressure and parked the bike in the garage. Today I was up and at 9 am was getting ready to ride, and what did I find: 2 Flat tires. Yes, both where flat. I did re-air the tires and road 10 miles to the beginning of the charity ride. After sitting for an hour and a half, I throw my leg over to get started on the ride and sure enough. The front tire was flat again. Well I had left my small compressor at home so I had to have the wife bring it to me, but my point is that the additive to the tire, “Ride ON” is the problem. It gums up the valve cores.

I have replaced both valve cores and the tires are holding air just fine…
No more “Ride On” for me… JMHO
Thanks for the report, good to know as I've been thinking of buying some.

Old 07-09-2011, 12:28 PM
Gearhead3
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for sharing. I don't know how amusing that would be (well...in retrospect, I guess, LOL) but it's definitely informative. Who'da thunk??

Last edited by Gearhead3; 07-09-2011 at 12:30 PM.
Old 07-09-2011, 12:46 PM
tx-skydiver
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How deos gumming up a valve core cause the loss of air? I've used it for a couple of years with no issues. I bought a new bike and haven't gotten around to getting some yet and found my front tire flat on day before a big trip.

I didn't inspect or anything (due to my hurry). I replaced the tire immediately. When there are only 2 tires to give my life to, I won't take any chances. If it goes flat for any reason it is now untrustworthy.

Old 07-09-2011, 01:39 PM
ftanner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tx-skydiver
How deos gumming up a valve core cause the loss of air? I've used it for a couple of years with no issues. I bought a new bike and haven't gotten around to getting some yet and found my front tire flat on day before a big trip.

I didn't inspect or anything (due to my hurry). I replaced the tire immediately. When there are only 2 tires to give my life to, I won't take any chances. If it goes flat for any reason it is now untrustworthy.
Gumming of the valve cores could cause them to stick open, thus allowing air to leak out.

Old 07-09-2011, 03:38 PM
No Tyme
Tourer
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by ftanner
Gumming of the valve cores could cause them to stick open, thus allowing air to leak out.
I just checked them again and there both fine. I used older valve cores that I had laying around and not new ones.
It must diminish the effectiveness of the spring to close the valve core tight after you check tire pressure. The bike has sat for a least 10 days, and pressure was 31 front and 35 rear. I aired them to 36 front and 40 rear at 8 pm, and by 9 the next morning they were less than 15 pounds. Now after replacing them (valve cores), and nothing else, they are holding pressure fine (so far).

Old 07-09-2011, 06:25 PM
gwvulcan
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you didn't have a flat to begin with why did you mess with it? I would never add a product to fix a problem that I wasn't having. Sounds like the voices in your head got the best of you this time

Old 07-09-2011, 06:40 PM
nvsteve
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by gwvulcan
If you didn't have a flat to begin with why did you mess with it? I would never add a product to fix a problem that I wasn't having. Sounds like the voices in your head got the best of you this time
The Ride On product is to help prevent flats. From all accounts, other than this mishap, it is a great product.

Old 07-09-2011, 06:44 PM
DPete
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 1,729 Likes on 1,302 Posts

Ride Over

Old 07-09-2011, 08:18 PM
TheSinistral
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nvsteve
The Ride On product is to help prevent flats. From all accounts, other than this mishap, it is a great product.

mmmmkayyy.... Perhaps I should re-read the part about gumming up the valve cores. I must have read it wrong...

-Sin

Quick Reply: "Ride On" should be called "Ride Over"