Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will I Need an Oil Cooler When I Move?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 04:51 PM
NoCoLoco
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just to play it safe you should get an oil cooler and a parade fan... and only ride on cold days. Those Twin Cams are delicate flowers, they just can't take the heat. I don't know what MOCO engineers were thinking, they should scrap the whole project and go water cooled.

But seriously, if you have a stage 1 upgrade and you are using a good synthetic oil then you don't "need" an oil cooler, but if having one helps you sleep better at night then go for it.

Old 07-10-2011, 06:02 PM
VTGlideRider
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well looks like the consensus is with my stage 1 and running HD Syn 3 I don't "need" an oil cooler for the move but it wouldn't hurt things if I had one for all the reasons stated. I think I will take the suggestion about waiting until I get there and seeing how it goes without one. I can always find something else to spend the money on if it turns out its fine. And I do have an oil temp gauge, although not one in the fairing. I have the HD digital oil temp and level gauge filler cap. My oil temps here in summer have been running in the 220s. We'll see how it goes down there.

And thanks for the suggestion about posting in the florida crew forum. I will certainly do that as soon as I get a contract on the house here and know when I am moving. Lots of activity showing it but still nothing on paper...I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

Thanks to all for your input!

Old 07-10-2011, 07:51 PM
NoCoLoco
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by VTGlideRider
Well looks like the consensus is with my stage 1 and running HD Syn 3 I don't "need" an oil cooler for the move but it wouldn't hurt things if I had one for all the reasons stated. I think I will take the suggestion about waiting until I get there and seeing how it goes without one. I can always find something else to spend the money on if it turns out its fine. And I do have an oil temp gauge, although not one in the fairing. I have the HD digital oil temp and level gauge filler cap. My oil temps here in summer have been running in the 220s. We'll see how it goes down there.

And thanks for the suggestion about posting in the florida crew forum. I will certainly do that as soon as I get a contract on the house here and know when I am moving. Lots of activity showing it but still nothing on paper...I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

Thanks to all for your input!
Have you ever considered using a different/better oil? Not that there's anything wrong with SYN3 but there are better oils on the market and if you're not going to install an oil cooler, running a "premium" synthetic would definitely be something to consider. JMO

Old 07-10-2011, 08:51 PM
wildcat465
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I live in Phoenix and ride my 08 FLHRC in temps well over 100 all the time. Only mods are V&H fire duals and monster ovals. Bike runs fine. Florida should be a cake walk compared to AZ.

Old 07-11-2011, 02:27 AM
bklynbob
Grand HDF Member
Received 531 Likes on 377 Posts
Default Or this:

www.cyrilhuzeblog.com.

Scroll all the way down to the article on the Baker oil pan for 2009 and up baggers.

Old 07-11-2011, 04:39 AM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 882 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by bklynbob
www.cyrilhuzeblog.com.

Scroll all the way down to the article on the Baker oil pan for 2009 and up baggers.
Even less necessary than an oil cooler.