Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Simple Stage 1 Upgrade on 2011 SG: HD Download, FL-XiED-10 or PCV?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 01:23 PM
FenderGuy53
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Simple Stage 1 Upgrade on 2011 SG: HD Download, FL-XiED-10 or PCV?

I have a new 2011 SG (FLHX) with the 96TC motor. My general riding style can best be described as "easy going" - I like to enjoy the scenery and I'm not usually in a big rush to get anywhere. That said, I do use the superslab on occasion, and would like to be able to "go with the flow" when necessary.

I want to do a simple Stage 1 upgrade: retain my stock headers (with cats intact) and install slip-ons, a/c and fuel management. I have no desire to go any further, regarding performance mods.

My choices thus far are: Fuel Moto Jackpot 4" Dyno Tuned Slip-On Mufflers and Fuel Moto SE Stage 1 A/C.

For fuel management, my options appear to be: 1) HD ECM Flash/Download, 2) NightRider's FL-XiED-10 kit, or 3) a PCV-like device. Unfortunately, I don't know enough on the subject to be able to make an informed decision.

I need your help. What do you recommend?

Old 07-25-2011, 01:29 PM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

The HD download is a waste of money, as you will still be EPA lean. For "simple", I've heard good things about xied's. But PC will get you the best tune.

Old 07-25-2011, 01:46 PM
Ronp42
Account Retired
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Three years ago I was asking the same question. I had sold my 02 Dyna with carb and bought a fuel injected bagger. I did a lot of research and ask question's. It all boils down to how far you plan to go and how much money you want to spend. I didn't want anything but stage 1 a/f and slipon's. I got the Dealer download for my first bagger, an 09 EGC. It worked great! Rode it for one year and never had a problem. My second bagger was an 08 Ultra 105th anniversary edition. I bought mostly for ABS and I got it at a good price. I put xied's on it. rode it almost a year without any problem's. I traded for the 2010 RK last year about this time. I put the FL-Xied's on this bike too. They work great for Stage1 You can go to tuneyourharley.com and read all about the ECM and how the closed and open loop works. If I were going to install cams and big bore kit's, I would buy a TTS Mastertune. They are the best IMO. I'm not fond of piggyback tuner's. JMO

Old 07-25-2011, 02:15 PM
blusmbl
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

If you really plan on doing nothing else to the bike, ever, and are not somebody who likes to tinker, just get the stage 1 flash. It's tied for the cheapest solution, and if you like the stock ridability, it'll retain it with a little bump in power. On the newest bikes with a cat, the stock cal isn't that lean.

Old 07-25-2011, 02:45 PM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

I didn't realize the 2011s were so anemic that they are unfit for interstate travel, LOL (I never used LOL before I hope I did it in the correct context) Unless you go complete stage I with a full exhaust system, the money and effort are wasted in my opinion. With your proposed stage 1/2 the only thing you will gain is some db out the end of the muffler, and a little lost fuel econmomy, you'll still have the heat from the CAT and any tq/hp gains will be negligible, or marginal at best. Also you really don't want to dump an enriched A/F mixture into a CAT, but that's another topic. You have to free up both ends of the induction system at the same time, or you just won't pick up noticeable power from the combination of slip ons, A/C, and whatever fuel management device you decide on. Before my post gets disected by all the folks who will claim to have great success with this combo, I'm not sayin' you won't gain nuthin', just sayin' you won't get your money's worth if you try to do a stage I (1/2) without a free flowing non-cat headpipe.

Old 07-25-2011, 03:23 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 395 Likes on 337 Posts

yes, the cat is the bottleneck to flow.

your choice there, what you want to do.

you already know that I have had good results with the XIEDS on my 09 ( no cat).
I also installed a ness big sucker air cleaner with washable filter ( $115 ebay from easternpc),
and I use the same supertrapp supermegs I have used for years ( swapped them from my evo bagger before I sold it).

Maybe you want to leave the bike stock for awhile and decide how you want it to be. In stock form you should have no problem cruising at 75 mph ( and hitting over 100 if you want to) and retaining mpg above 40.

stage 1 is the best power increase you can get for the least expense, retaining the reliability and longevity of a "stock" bike, but with the cat in place, most other efforts are wasted.

mike

Old 07-25-2011, 04:18 PM
RoadGlideGary
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

had Xied's - ran better but still too hot. went with PCV from FM. Runs cooler and stronger. Best of all they will provide you a custom dyno map for your setup, and if you change (engine, exhaust, head pipe or mufflers they will provide a new map for the new setup. Any HD download will be lean as they have the EPA watching them.

Old 07-25-2011, 04:39 PM
FenderGuy53
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Ronp42
I didn't want anything but stage 1 a/f and slipon's.

I got the Dealer download for my first bagger, an 09 EGC. It worked great!

My second bagger was an 08 Ultra 105th anniversary edition. I put xied's on it. rode it almost a year without any problem's.

I traded for the 2010 RK last year about this time. I put the FL-Xied's on this bike too. They work great for Stage1
Hey, Ron, are you the one with the YouTube vid demo'ing how good your RK runs with stock headers and cat and NO PCV? If so, I like that video and your pipes sound great!

I would be very pleased if my SG could sound as good as your RK with only a download or XiED kit.

Originally Posted by blusmbl
If you really plan on doing nothing else to the bike, ever, and are not somebody who likes to tinker, just get the stage 1 flash. It's tied for the cheapest solution, and if you like the stock ridability, it'll retain it with a little bump in power. On the newest bikes with a cat, the stock cal isn't that lean.
Cool!

Originally Posted by fabrik8r
I didn't realize the 2011s were so anemic that they are unfit for interstate travel, LOL (I never used LOL before I hope I did it in the correct context)

With your proposed stage 1/2 the only thing you will gain is some db out the end of the muffler, and a little lost fuel econmomy, you'll still have the heat from the CAT and any tq/hp gains will be negligible, or marginal at best.
Actually, that would be okay. All I want out of this is a better sounding bike that isn't running lean.

Old 07-25-2011, 05:11 PM
kojak
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,500 Likes on 1,249 Posts

Lots of different advice here! Get the download. Cheaper, no issues with warranties, will be street legal, run fine and no hassles with dynotuning, remapping etc. I would only get a fuel management device if I was changing to a non harley cam, doing head work or increasing the displacement. Then I would use a super tuner or a power commander depending on who was doing the work.

Old 07-25-2011, 05:15 PM
billybud
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 011 SG really runs

I have a 011 103 Street Glide with Vance and Hines power chamber headers (although marketed by Kuryaken with a different heat shield) and the Mastertune TTS fuel management.

I had an 08 SG with the 96 and rineharts...this bike is sooo much faster, really pulls and loves to blast along the interstate at 86-90...

I love this bike (my 7th Harley).

Quick Reply: Simple Stage 1 Upgrade on 2011 SG: HD Download, FL-XiED-10 or PCV?