Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

hog tunes speakers review

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2013, 08:51 PM
troop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts

Always something better but almost always usually cost more $$....

Old 03-03-2013, 10:15 PM
kryingame
Road Warrior
Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

Gents, I went with the UltraNutz suggestion for sound. My thinking is, since I kicked out 20K for a bike, I might as well kick out a few dollars for a quality sound system. And, this system cost me less than $600.00:
1- 5.25" to 6.5" speaker adapter rings
2 - SS PN4.520d amp
3 - Polk DB651 speakers
4 -Hog Tunes Tweeters (these are not part of the UltraNutz recommendation but I went with them anyway).

Hope this helps!

Old 03-03-2013, 11:31 PM
mhud
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Subscribed

Old 03-04-2013, 05:02 AM
jus2anoyu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I installed ht speakers in my fairing last year and I can't brag enough what a difference they made! Gonna do a set for the tour pack in a month or so. Probably the best 85 bucks I've spent on my bike in 5 years...

Old 03-04-2013, 05:09 AM
Timmy B
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: 12 year, Colombia, 4 years Mexico, currently In Kuwait, but Boston is HOME!!
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I found they were not for me, but I am glad they are working out for yeh. Nothing better than good tunes ona scoot!

Old 03-04-2013, 07:14 AM
VTL nut
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Typically these posts get derailed real quickly.
It would be good to see one stay "on track" for once, and let people know that for small $$$ half assed sound can be acheived.

I had read somewhere that Harley's HK head unit outputs around 10- 12 watts per channel, into "full range" drivers. This is a joke by lots of standards. On a bike that is like the old am-fm, 8 track radios you could get in a late 60's muscle car. You got sound out of "full range" driver in the dash, and if you opted for the fidelity package, you got "full range" drivers in the trunk cowel. Again, silly. These buggy's were bought by many returning vets to scream, not listen to your favorite tunes in.

At least by adding a 2-way driver array you can produce the higher frequencies that are available versus a single cone driver trying to produce everything. That just isn't happening.

2nd, adding an amp is a good thing with the new 2 or 3 way drivers, for then you can probably push 20-25 watts per channel RMS (clean un-clipped power) and have 1/2 a chance of hearing it at road speeds. Like everything on the planet, if you want to invest the coin, someone will manufacture something to allow you to "set still" at bike night and be heard for 2 blocks, and draw the biggest crowd.

Like many, I am not one of them, but do like the fact that for a few hundred bucks I can hit the plains at 75 mph and hear pianno, or guitar licks coming through loud and clear. ****, the MoCo was sharp enough to give us variable volume control based on road speed, with real time control @ my fingertips, so I would bet with a descent little 2, or 4 channel amp, and a couple (or few) 2 or 3 way speaks, many could hit sonic nervana without breaking the bank.

I stand true to my convictions as someone who took electronic musical instrument repair in the late 70's, early 80's, worked on both pro and consumer electronics for years, before continuing to finish my education to move onto machine control, networking, etc...

There, I poured the fuel, added oxygen, someone light the match.....

Old 03-04-2013, 07:42 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 70,440 Likes on 21,391 Posts

Originally Posted by jimfount00
Love my new Hogtunes set up on the 2012 Street Glide. Got the tweeter bar, fairing speakers and amp. I have to actually turn it down while riding because it gets very loud. For the price, I don't think this set up can be beat. I received everything off of Amazon.com and it was VERY easy to install. Trust me, I have no patience and no mechanical skills but I still did it. Are better, more expensive speakers out there? I'm sure there are. You can't hear bass rolling down the highway at 75 MPH anyway so why waste the money...these are great and I couldn't be happier. In fact, the guys behind me listen to my stereo as well!

Stereos have come quite a ways in the past 5 years, or since HT came into the market.
I had their set up w/the little amp as that's all they had in 2009 and their fairing speakers and pod.
I still have their pod and amp but ditched their heavy speakers for the kickers.
They have better top end but still not much bass, but the key though is they are lighter in weight.
HT's speakers are hard on your fairing too as they are so heavy.
Am I happy, no but kinda content for the time being.
Would I buy another stereo if I could afford it?
Absolutely!
There's lots better out there now.

Last edited by lionsm13; 03-04-2013 at 07:51 AM.
Old 03-04-2013, 07:46 AM
lkr0
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

totally agree -- HT customer service is great but there products suck
Originally Posted by Geezr Glidr
IMO, you can do better than Hogtunes. I had 'em for a few months. They were no big deal. I have Hertz 6.5s now. I think they're nicer. More money too, but nicer.

Old 04-06-2013, 04:41 AM
kim@hfxmail.com
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where did you purchase your HT front speakers ?

Old 04-06-2013, 05:58 AM
hawwk
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I put Hog Tunes on the wife's classic and she really likes them. i also put the HT big ultra kit on my bike. We both know there is better systems out there, but for us the HT was a great upgrade for the $$. Also i find Pez great to deal with if you have problems.

Quick Reply: hog tunes speakers review