Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I changed the Shock and fork oil in my 08' FLHX.

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 04:37 PM
timberland
Road Master
Location: Log home in SE Michigan full time. Log cabin in east TN, Smoky Mountians part time
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Kris.....You'll need to get the front tire off the ground to remove the pressure from the fork springs. If no when you remove the cap the springs push up....into your inner fairing.

2. No need to flush. Just add the correct amount and ride.

I just rode 995 miles during bike week solo and NO back issues. LAst fall wife and I rode 500+ miles and no back issues. I fixed the fork and shock problem : ) for cheap.

Old 04-03-2012, 04:39 PM
timberland
Road Master
Location: Log home in SE Michigan full time. Log cabin in east TN, Smoky Mountians part time
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Changing fork oil on a shark bike would be similar. , lol I dont know if the fairing is i the way or not to remove the cap.

If you have one, bring it over and I'll do the thread...jeeze' ...or you do it and I'll post on your thread : )

Old 04-03-2012, 06:10 PM
Retrop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

There are lots of us who use a Mity Vac and a homemade copper manifold to vacumn the old oil from the shocks and "shoot" the new oil back in by pulling a vacume. You don't have to remove any tins except the screws in the lower fork.

Old 04-03-2012, 07:13 PM
RLJ676
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I assume a mityvac is used to suck out the oil, it won't drain out on it's own without releasing the pressure at the top, or will it?

Is the thread on the fork the same as a boat lower, so the cheap lube pump I use to fill it could be used to fill the fork?

Old 04-03-2012, 08:33 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by vangasman
Can I assume that a 2008 road king would use the same amount of oil in each fork?
RK = 11.1 oz.
Fairing bikes: 10.8 oz.

Old 04-03-2012, 08:41 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by Bannana Boat
I thought my front shocks were very spongy from new. I drained and added SE Heavy Fork Oil and they are perfect now.
I did my first fork oil change in 2008 at 21k miles, using the procedure I wrote-up at the time, basically the same as the OP's. I did it again at 44k, again at 53k (two weeks ago), and will standardize on 10k intervals from now on. Each time the oil looked dark and full of microscopic metal particles, making me wonder what's wearing in there.

The first time I used SE Heavy (not the Racing variety) and liked the added control, lack of bottoming, and favorable increase in firmness. On the second change I took Dawg's recommendation and mixed equal parts of Type E with SE Heavy and liked that mix better, using it for my last change as well.

Old 04-03-2012, 09:24 PM
Gotham
Road Captain
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Where did you get the clear 5/16 tubing, syringe, and the threaded barb?

Ed

Old 04-04-2012, 10:05 AM
BlackPearl#1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 124 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by timberland
Kris.....You'll need to get the front tire off the ground to remove the pressure from the fork springs. If no when you remove the cap the springs push up....into your inner fairing.

2. No need to flush. Just add the correct amount and ride.

I just rode 995 miles during bike week solo and NO back issues. LAst fall wife and I rode 500+ miles and no back issues. I fixed the fork and shock problem : ) for cheap.
OK Thanks again. Great job
Kris

Old 04-04-2012, 10:08 AM
BlackPearl#1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 124 Likes on 111 Posts

Sorry double post.

Old 04-04-2012, 01:08 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

Also note that the 36mm wrench in the tool kit is a bit large for the fork caps, which are 1 3/8". This tool worked for my first oil change, but not the second, and I bought a $10 wrench on Amazon.com which I now use as my dedicated wrench for this job. There is little clearance in any direction, so the right wrench is important.

There's a long discussion of this job here (scroll down to Post #23 and read from there).

Quick Reply: I changed the Shock and fork oil in my 08' FLHX.